Go Back   Toyota Corolla Forum > Corolla Forums > 2003 - 2008 Toyota Corolla

Old 10-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
louielarue

Default 2005 CE Manual Clutch Problem

I have a 2005 5-speed manual CE with 140000 miles on it. The clutch has been slipping, intermittenly and only slightly, for three years. It never slips in 1st or second, and until the last month not in 3rd, but mostly in 4th and 5th. This past summer was hot and dry and it was ok, but with a wet Fall it's acting up again. It seems to slip more when it has been raining, and when wet it also sometimes shudders when starting up from a stop. The slipping is very brief ( 1 second or less) as I immediately let up on the accelerator and go easier on it when resuming. When dry I haul an ATV on a utility trailer, even up hills but of course not in 4th or 5th, and it is fine.

The first time it happened, in 2008, the Toyota dealer said it needed a new clutch, without ever looking at or driving it. I decided to wait a bit as it only happened a couple of times in a month or so, and here 3 years later it is more or less the same. I have asked 3 or 4 mechanics their opinions and they have all acted baffled. They tell me that if they have to check it they might as well replace it because of the amount of work required to get at it.

It acts almost like fluid is getting on the plate from somewhere, possibly rainwater. I've driven manual transmissions since the fifties and have never seen anything like this. Does anyone have any similar experience and/or any ideas of possible fixes?
louielarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Corolla Forum

Join Corolla Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota Corolla fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Corolla and Matrix Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Toyota, and have a great time with other Corolla fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Toyota you'll find that Corolla Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join CorollaForum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 11-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
jgaudig1625

It is a tribute to Toyota that a clutch would last 140,000 miles. I got my first clutch car, a 54 Ford in 1959. The clutch chattered on start up, so after some time I replaced it. (55,000 miles) It had oil on it. Clutches slip in 4 and 5 because the "load" on the clutch is higher, due to aerodynamic drag and rolling friction. The slipping may also heat and warp the flywheel. Dealers are always very expensive, find a local mechanic, get a new clutch, flywheel and hydraulics. I just put a new transmission, torque converter in my 2002 Saturn Vue myself. It is a lot of work to do that, worth every dollar.
jgaudig1625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
louielarue

Thank You. I've replaced the clutch, and the mechanic who did that had no idea how it could have lasted 3 years slipping occasionally.
louielarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Scott O'Kashan
Super Moderator

So I take it replacing the clutch solved the problem? 140,000 miles is indeed a long way for a clutch to go. You must be a very good driver!
Scott O'Kashan is offline   Reply With Quote