Go Back   Toyota Corolla Forum > Corolla Forums > 2009 - 2013 Toyota Corolla

Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Ted

Default 0W-20 Oil

Until recently the oil specified by Toyota was 5W-30. That's what my Tundra requires. However, when 0W-30 became common I switched to that (Mobil 1 Synthetic) and I did notice that 0W-40 was starting to be on the shelve. Now I see with the '12s that Toyota is specifying 0W-20. I'm curious why the 20. For those of us in areas where 100 degrees is common in the summer I would think that 0W-30 would be better. I asked my Toyota service manager and he, of course, wants to stick with the 0W-20 because that's what's in the book. I will use the 0W-20 until my free oil changes run out but when I start doing my own again I'll go to 0W-30 unless there's a really good reason not to.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insight on this?
Join Corolla Forum

Join Corolla Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota Corolla fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Corolla and Matrix Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Toyota, and have a great time with other Corolla fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Toyota you'll find that Corolla Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join CorollaForum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
corolla_mike

The 0W oils, as I've come to understand them, are specified for the purpose of raising CAFE standards. The thinner the oil, the easier the engine spins, thereby increasing MPGs.

As we all know, the sturdier the oil, the less the engine will wear.

For the sake of your warranty, do what the mechanical engi... er, uh, socio-political engineers say to do. After that, go with your gut.
corolla_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
rjreynolds

I have a 2012 Corolla myself and have wondered the very same thing? If you look in your owner's manual it basically states to use 0w20 unless it is not available in which case you can then use 5w20. Then it states that you must switch back to 0w20 when it becomes available. If you keep reading, it also states that if you drive your vehicle under adverse conditions that you might consider using a heavier weight oil. I use a 5w30 fully synthetic motor oil. Even though this oil is supposed to go 15,000 miles, I plan on changing the oil after 5,000 for warrantee reasons and because it's a brand new engine.

A previous poster mentioned that partly because of cafe standards that car manufacturers are recommending these thin oils like 0w20. He was right.
rjreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Ted

I just read the manual (2012 Corolla) as you mentioned you did and found the following on page 469, last paragraph: The book talks about the '20' in the specifications and says "An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speed, or under extreme load conditions." To me this means using '30' oil, or more specifically, 0W-30, if the conditions warrant it such as Interstates with 70, 75, and 80 speed limits and the summers where we have 100s for a long time.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Ted

I bought my Corolla S last March and included was free service for the first 25,000 miles. Last week it hit 5,000 and brought it in. There's quite a long check list of things they do including rotating the tires. When I got home I looked at the paperwork and noticed that no where did they mention changing the oil or filter. When I first got the Corolla I looked at the Service Manual and noticed Toyota doesn't list oil change until 10,000 miles. I went back today with the paperwork the Toyota service manage confirmed that 10,000 was correct because they are using synthetic oil. He looked this up on his Toyota computer.

I mentioned rotating tires. The Toyota manual suggests front-to-back rotation without any crossing. This seems odd because the OEM tires are not directional. I confirmed this when they did it during service so when I got home I crossed the front tires.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
rjreynolds

Default 0w20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I went back today with the paperwork the Toyota service manage confirmed that 10,000 was correct because they are using synthetic oil. He looked this up on his Toyota computer.

I heard the same thing mentioned about oil changes every 10k if synthetic is used., even though the maintenance manual says 5k. I will bring it in for the 5k maintenance soon, but I will be doing my own oil changes. I am using 5w30 fully synthetic in mine and noticed that the engine runs slightly quieter and smoother however my fuel milage slipped 2-3 mpg it seems based on my calculations.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
corolla_mike

Written data trumps oral data.

If what you want to know is written in a manual, that information overrides spoken information.

When the manual says to do X at interval Y, then do X at interval Y. When technicians don't do X at interval Y, then it's time to seek the services of other technicians.

If you want to change your oil at 5k, then change it -- or have it changed elsewhere. You can always return to a dealer for your 10k service.

Today's stifling EPA rules make it more difficult to do business, and when it comes to used-oil disposal, automotive dealerships have it bad. They want us to believe -- despite what we've been told since time immemorial -- that our engine's oil will last upwards of 5-10 thousand miles. Why? So that they won't have to deal with the punks at the EPA, that's why.

Be smarter than they think you are! With the proper tools, anyone can change their own oil. Find the tools you need, find a source for parts, and go for it! When you've gone another 5k, simply return to your dealer for your 10k service, and they'll be none the wiser.

Last edited by corolla_mike; 05-31-2012 at 09:27 PM.
corolla_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Ted

I have another question regarding the current oil specifications of 0W-20. For previous model years was the oil specified for the Corolla 5W-30 or something different? I've had three Toyotas previous to the Corolla and they each specified 5W-30. If so, what changed to allow the use of 0W-20? Was something done to the motor?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
rjreynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I have another question regarding the current oil specifications of 0W-20. For previous model years was the oil specified for the Corolla 5W-30 or something different? I've had three Toyotas previous to the Corolla and they each specified 5W-30. If so, what changed to allow the use of 0W-20? Was something done to the motor?
For previous model years, The Corolla was specified to use 5w-30 on different engines than the current one. However, it is a known fact, that many manufacturers, including Toyota, changed the oil weight recommendations for the exact same engines to Xw-20 after the EPA mandated the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards.

I would say, it is possible, that Toyota would recommend 5w-30 oil today, for the 2ZR-FE engine, if it wasn't for The CAFE standards.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Ted

So the change in specifications was not due to engineering but to bureaucracy. That just reinforces my plan to switch to 0W-30 when the 25,000 mile free service ends. I've been concerned that the 20 was not sufficient for the 100 degree temperatures we get here and elsewhere in the summer.