~10 years experience with 2003 Corolla with 193K miles

Bought 2003 Corolla that had 87,000 miles back in 2006 for $7,300. This is my 5th Toyota in last 20 years.
It was a company given car that was driven by an airplane mechanic that back and forth between Houston and Mobile, Alabama once a week, racking up huge highway miles just in 3 years.

My daughter drove it for 3 years during the high school, and then it was passed off to my son, who's been driving it since. Both kids drove it mostly gently, but with 193,000 miles, its showing some wear and tear, with some scratches and dents here and there both in and outside.

During 10 years of our (2nd) ownership, I've kept up with basic regular maintenance (oil, filters, trans, coolant, power steering, battery, breaks, tires, alignment, PCV valve, etc.) It rattles a bit when I drive, most likely because it's still got original struts/springs, but it has always started on the first crank, idles smoothly, and gets up to 80~90 MPH pretty smoothly.

I can't recall taking this to a shop for any major service/problem. Given the high miles, likely, I probably have changed one or all of these...alternator, water pump, thermostat...but I'm not 100% sure as this car rarely needed shop work.

Just recently, I've put 4 new tires and got alignment done. Also, today, I did the following:
1) 4 new NGK spark plugs to swap out the original ones...LOL
2) Cleaned the MAF with CRC's Mass Airflow Cleaner for the first time
3) Cleaned the Throttle Body with CRC's Throttle Body Cleaner for the first time
4) Replaced the PCV for the 2nd time in 10 years
5) Charged the A/C refrigerant for the first time in 10 years

Car didn't want to start after over-spraying the throttle body cleaner. So I had to open and expose the throttle body to open air for 5 to 10 minutes to let the cleaning solution evaporate, and after couple of start and immediate shutdown, it eventually cranked up fine. With today's maintenance, the idle is steady and smooth, and acceleration improved noticeably with no hesitation when gas pedal is pushed quick.

While taking the car out for a nice 30 minute test drive, I can't help but thank Toyota and this car for the superb reliability and durability all these years, specially when considering the car is just 6 months away from reaching 200,000 miles.

In the last few years, I thought the car was too old, and I mentally prepared to lose it at any time, and periodically shopped around for other "younger" cars, but this very basic Corolla CE with manual lock and windows (LOL), just keeps on starting and running without any trouble.

Not bad for a $7,300 purchase 10 years ago, huh?

Now I'm thinking about keeping this car going as long as I can to see if it can get up to 250,000 or 300,000 miles. That would be a major milestone for me as besides this corolla, my 2002 Camry XLE that I bought brand new and drove until 172,000 miles were the only ones that that exceeded 130,000 miles as I would become too concerned about repair costs to drive them past 130,000.

Now I regret prematurely getting rid of my fully loaded 2002 Camry XLE two years ago. I could've also taken that to 200,000+ miles. I bought a new 2013 Camry SE in its place, and it has 50,000 miles already, so I'll see if I can get one of the Toyotas to ~300,000 miles. I may get tired of driving the same car that long, but this time I'm going to try. LOL...

Anyone here with 300,000+ miles on their Toyota?
What's your experience has been like?

I have a 2003 Corolla with 300K on the car. Just did a major update with new front struts,front brakes all 4 bearing hubs. Still running like new.

Little young here. I have a 2007 with 178 on the clock and I keep wondering if I'm ever going to have to do major maintenance to this car? Ive changed 1 water pump, couple sets of tires, and just regular PM. Reciently I got a "Check Engine" light, but that was a exhaust gasket. Never owned a car with so many miles on it, but it feels like it'll run forever. In another year, this will turn into my daughters first vehicle. I'd like a larger vehicle, Camery/Accord size, but this has been so good to me, I might just get a newer Rolla.

rk97

I only just rolled 130k, but I did kind of the opposite of the OP - I bought someone's garage queen that was 10+ years old, but only had 83,000 miles on it. I've had it less than 2 years, and put another 47,000 miles on it so far...

If I can keep it for 300k, I definitely will. should hit that mark in about 7 years, if I keep this job! Actually, that's a good goal - keep my current car until 300k. That will (roughly) coincide with making my last student loan payment, and I can use the loan payments for another low mileage corolla :p

tomf

Ronchai
I have a 2003 Corolla with 300K on the car. Just did a major update with new front struts,front brakes all 4 bearing hubs. Still running like new.
Nice, I just bought a 2003 Corolla with 93K on the clock. If I get 300K I'll be over the moon. Might have to fix the water pump soon and then gear box and clutch at some point but if it goes long enough it'll be worth every penny, especially considering how much it cost originally in comparison to how much it cost me, definitely winning. really glad I went with toyota

Just picked up an 03 with 188K on the clock. Well maintained by a previous owner (dealership-employed detailer) and I couldn't be happier with it. Reading up on the forum here makes me think the car will go forever.

I plan on doing most of my own maintenance. Anything I should be aware of that I wouldn't know coming from a Dodge crossover?

Hello All, My 2005 Corolla has 207k miles but I'm trying to look ahead, like CowBoE, to see what'll be needed in the future. Note that the 9th Gen Corollas that we have possess odometers that don't go above 300k miles. One has to have them reset to 0. There are procedures out there to do it, but they require a computer with a serial port, some special (but free) software as well as some electronics saavy. I don't want to do this myself. There are services advertised on ebay that will do it for <$100. I found a company in Michigan that does it as well, although I haven't used them, hence can't endorse them yet. You need to remove the odometer and send it away.

Attachments

Win

Hello All, My 2005 Corolla has 207k miles but I'm trying to look ahead, like CowBoE, to see what'll be needed in the future. Note that the 9th Gen Corollas that we have possess odometers that don't go above 300k miles. One has to have them reset to 0. There are procedures out there to do it, but they require a computer with a serial port, some special (but free) software as well as some electronics saavy. I don't want to do this myself. There are services advertised on ebay that will do it for <$100. I found a company in Michigan that does it as well, although I haven't used them, hence can't endorse them yet. You need to remove the odometer and send it away.
I am the original owner of a 2004 CE with 292,000 miles. I have replaced the starter and catalytic convertor. That was within the last two years. Only tires, brakes and oil changes and windshield wipers. I've just starting thinking about a replacement.

Today, my 2003 Corolla S turned 299,999 miles. That was 20 miles ago! I just put 4k into engine and clutch repairs at a dealership. I am SO disappointed! I was going to post 300k image on social media and now...

rk97

Sorry you missed the photo op. Reading these threads makes me feel like I'm never going to get a new car. just cracking 175,000 right now :D

I was at 130k on 2/19/16, so that's about 25k/year.

Im close to 190,000 on "Tank". He's doing very well still runs strong and rock solid. He will eventually be a track king and the plan is to do some work to make him a lil more robust in the engine department. He's already sittin on Tein springs, 18" Scion xD wheels and 225/40/18's. He's been great!!!