1981 Corolla wagon, Charge/Brake/Sensor lights

Ok, first off, I have a 1981 Corolla wagon, 1.8l, cali emissions, A40 trans. Here's my issue...

Driving to work the other day, I noticed my Charge, Brake and Sensor lights all on, but at about 1/4 brightness of when I start the car. I switched off all accessories,one by one, until they went out. Got to work, parked, switched accessories back on at idle, the lights didn't illuminate. I figured it was hot weather + running the AC + 3yo battery and let it go. When I left work, started it up, no lights. Turned everything on, no lights. Drove home, no lights. Figured it was solved.

It wasn't.

Next morning, I start the car and turn on the fan and headlights, the indicator lights illuminate dimly again. I turn everything off but the headlights (it was dark), indicator lights were still faintly illuminated but I drive to work with no problems (headlights seemed perfectly bright, so did interior illumination lights). Got to work, the indicator lights were still on and as dim as they were before. I turned headlights off, indicator lights went out. Turned headlights back on, indicator lights came back as faint as before. Then I revved the engine...

And the indicator lights got BRIGHTER.

Anyone encountered this before? Seems to me if the lights are coming on for low voltage then revving the engine would make them turn off, not the opposite. I am puzzled.

Oh, and the alternator and voltage regulator are both about 9 months old, the battery is about 3-1/2. I'm a little light on funds (damn kids and their birthdays) so I'm trying to not just throw parts at it, plus the technician in me wants to know WHY this is happening as well as fix the problem. I'm still getting to work, but soon enough defroster and lights will be a necessity in the morning so I figure I'd best solve this meow.