1990 Corolla - 64,000 Mile Engine

Hi-- hoping someone can help my mechanic can not figure out the problem. My 1990 Toyota Corolla which I hate to retire has only 64,000 miles on it. Starts and runs but while I am driving the dash lights up and the engine shuts off and won't restart. He thinks it is the MAF (?) switch which is about a $1,200 dollar repair but he said he is not really sure. Spending all that money and then finding out it is not fixed would not be worth it. It also is dangerous what if I am on the expressway? Ok so anyone please-- the car is a few days away from the junk man. :)

All the obvious things have been ruled out like battery lose or alternator.-- Like I mentioned the dash lights all go on then the car engines turns off and won't restart. Luckily I was only a short distance from home.

Last year my hubby put bad gas in the car and we had that fixed everything was flushed and cleaned from tip to tail.

It cranks sounds like it is flooded but it is not goes "flub, flub" like it trying to turn over then it stops and doesn't turn over.

In a few hours or the next day it will start and the problem doesn't occur for another month or so maybe.

Last edited:
Please don't junk a car that only has 64,000 miles on it. :eek:

I recommend taking the car to a Toyota dealership and having them diagnose what is wrong. But please, don't throw away such a nice car because of a starting problem. :(