1996 Corolla - Idle Fluctuating At P Channel

hi Folks:
My car is a 1996 corolla with 1.6L engine and auto transmission. I got a fluctuating idle after I worked on my starter. I disconnected EGR hoses and tubes when I was working on my starter. But now, I cannot fully remember how to restore the connection.

The fluctuating idle only happens at P (parking) channel. When it goes to D or R channel, the engine sounds fine. What I mean by "flucuating" is that the volume of the sound seems periodically changing, like a waving pattern.

I am not sure if the EGR connection is the culprit of my problem, but I guess that is the only cause I can think of. So I am attaching a figure and I hope someone could give me some pointers if I did anything wrong. If you could give me a more illustrative figure on how to hook things up, that will be great!

The tube circled in red in the figure. Should it be connected to something, or should it be left open as it is?
Here is the figure:

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
hose

I replaced the starter on a friend's '96 last summer. We got everything hooked up (or so we thought) and tried to start the car. It sounded normal when he first turned the key to begin starting, but the revving during the starting process slowed down to a near stop kind of like the battery was being drained of it's last juice. It didn't start. We looked closer and discovered there was an electrical connection not hooked up to the fuel rail. The injectors weren't running. Plugged it in, and she fired right up.

You definitely need something on that hose connection it sounds like. Look for a small hose (I'm sure you have) that has to fit and has the telltale signs of having been connected to that port (a little bulging on the end). Was it small enough to have been removed at both ends? Perhaps the hose isn't even in there. I'll look at my buddy's '96 today at work and get back to you. the pic helps a ton. more to follow....

I take it that that big clip part in your hand was hooked around a coolant hose? I'm just asking in case it looks slightly different on my coworker's. Ah, it doesn't matter, I see the egr there.

hi rustycars:
Thanks a lot for getting back.
I actually already figured out the connection. I will take a pic and post it here today or tomorrow.
You are definitely right, there are many types of EGR VSV. So I wouldn't be surprised if your coworker's is not same as mine.

I'm not sure if I got it because your's looks disassembled. From what I can tell, that tube of yours faces downward? if anything, try plugging it with your finger while idling, that should tell you something.

here are two pictures:

Also, I think the following picture could be a very good illustration of how things are hooked up, tho it might missed one hose or tow:

Hope that helps!
Thanks very much.

Last edited: