1998 Corolla - Headlight Troubles - Please Help

Hi there,

Recently I hit a deer in my car and it smashed my DS turn signal housing and bulb, as well as the DS headlight housing and bulb. I replaced the missing headlight bulb but have not yet replaced the turn signal.

For about a day, the headlights functioned normally - DRLs, hi/lo beam all worked. Then out of the blue the headlights stopped working. DRLs will run fine during daylight hours, but as soon as I try to switch on the headlights (hi or lo) they turn off completely. Also when it gets dark out the Twilight Sentinel turns off the DRLs and turns on the headlamps, which causes there to be no headlights again.

I have checked every fuse I could find as well as swapped the DRL and Headlight relays around to no avail. Note that I DO hear the headlight relay switching when I actuate the headlight switch in the car.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm in bad shape not being able to drive after dark.

Thanks, Nilson

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome aboard! :)

Without being able to physically evaluate the damage that was done, this sounds like a job for a professional automotive technician.

As much as I wish it were so simple, I currently do not have the resources to take the car in to someone nor do I like to.

I've got a good multimeter and I can find the schematics if need be. I'm just looking to find some advice if anyones encountered something similar.

As far as physical damage done, I tend to think the new headlight issue is unrelated to the deer. The headlight bulb was broken and the turn signal bulb but no wiring was damaged.