1998 DX 1.8 -A/C Leak on Passenger Side Floor

nmead

I have a 1993 Corolla DX 1.8L. I've been having a problem with my AC. The AC works and blows cold air, the only problem is that when i run it for more than 10minutes or so at a time, it leaks right underneath the glove box on the passenger side. I have a heavy rubber mat so nothing is damaged. When i checked out the fluid it was just water. I was seeing if anyone has any suggestions on what it could be and how to fix it or how much it would cost to get it fixed. Anything will be appreciated. Thanks.

sounds like the drain is clogged. Under the car in front of the foot well should be a tube sticking out. I just blow it out with a blast of air or you could use a hanger.

Thanks for the help. Do you know of any good resources to help guide through it with pictures if possible? Other than buying a repair manual. If not that's fine. At least that gives me something to check. Thanks again.

nmead

I've taken out part of the dash and glove box and have tried using an air compressor to clear out the clog. Some gunk got blown out but not all because it still leaks after running for at least 10minutes. Anywhere I've checked said to get all of it, it would be anywhere between $500-1000. So that's not happening anytime soon. I do run the AC for at least a minimum of 10 minutes a month to keep it working and lubricated. The AC is cold and works perfectly well besides that.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Yowza! That is one expensive repair quote!

When you say you are using an air compressor to try and clean it out, (good idea!), how much air pressure are we talking about? Do you mean an air hose meant to inflate 18-wheeler tires, or the air compressor that plugs into your Corolla's cigarette lighter power outlet?

nmead

It's an air compressor for inflating tires. It's not commercial, just one that's for at home use. I'm not sure how powerful it is or the size. Its generally used to inflate car/suv tires. I got the hose and put it on the drain hose for the AC and tried shooting several puffs of air through it to clear it. I actually tried using a metal hanger to snake up through the hose to break the clog up before using the compressor as well.

There is a chance that if you pull the glove box and remove the blower motor, you may be able to get a flashlight and look in the HVAC casing and see what is causing it (probably a leaf or a bunch of dust that balled up). Using a metal hanger or an air line from the firewall side of the hose won't do anything if the object plugging is larger than the drain hose itself.

I have a 1993 Corolla DX 1.8L. I've been having a problem with my AC. The AC works and blows cold air, the only problem is that when i run it for more than 10minutes or so at a time, it leaks right underneath the glove box on the passenger side. I have a heavy rubber mat so nothing is damaged. When i checked out the fluid it was just water. I was seeing if anyone has any suggestions on what it could be and how to fix it or how much it would cost to get it fixed. Anything will be appreciated. Thanks.
I had the same problem with my 98 Corolla...I just used a can of compressed air that is used for dusting computer keyboards and blew it into the little rubber hose sticking through the firewall on the passenger side in the engine compartment.