1999 - Fuel Pump Question

Alright, I'll ask my basic question first and then give some backstory.

Does the fuel line that comes out of the pump have a special fitting that doesn't allow it to spray? I.E. can I just put a rubber hose on there and see if fuel comes out the other end? Also, which wire would I check for voltage at the pump? There are 4

I have a '99 Corolla that we weren't driving since about 2008. I was starting it every now and then, but the gas light was on, so I stopped starting it up. Fast forward to two years later and the car has sat and not been started.

I put a new battery in and went to cranking (I'm wishing I had put fuel in first!) The car wouldn't start, so I figured that maybe the lines were empty. I ran out and got about 4 gallons of gas and put that in.

I cranked and cranked but nothing ever happened. I filled a spray bottle with gas and sprayed it in the throttle body. Viola! As long as I spray gas continuously into the throttle body, the engine runs. I had a friend help out, and we took the fuel rail off. He said that some fuel was coming out of the injectors, but it didn't smell like gas.. and it was a small amount. I decided to check the pump, so I took the fuel line fitting off the pump and hooked a hose to it and had no fuel when turning the engine over. This is why I was asking if it is a special fitting to make the fuel come out.

Any help is appreciated, and sorry for chewing your ear off with my first post!