2000 corolla rear strut (i think) keeps making noises when driving

my father has a 2000 Toyota corolla its has 200,000 miles on it. recently when we drive we can hear noise coming from the rear of the car. it happens when we go over bumps and sometimes over cracked up streets. I pushed down on the back of the car and kept hearing the same squeaking noise, but the car wasn't doing a continuous bouncing afterward letting me know it wasn't bad struts. but the noise still remained. a couple of months ago my father took it to sears and had the struts replaced. a day after the noise came back. He took it back to the store and they did the job over again. like a month of 2 later the noise started happening again. we took it back again and the sears was closed, permanently. my father is not a heavy driver. he's the only driver of the car (besides my brother sometimes). I inspected the strut and it seemed like the rubber piece around the strut was really dry on both rear struts and one had the protective rubber completely ripped off the strut hanging. I think maybe the strut got exposed to bad materials and degraded way faster because of it. I also feel like the lubricant on the strut might have completely dried up or disappeared. I could be wrong. any guesses? Thank you for your time. oh yea the noise sounds like a un-oiled door being opened back and forth. I suspect metal touching metal

If the sound is like you described I would assume metal to metal rubbing is your best bet. Also depends on what brand struts your using, if your only replacing your strut bottoms I would recommend replacing the tops as well. They can deform over time and sometimes make that kind of sound your describing.