2001 Corolla Engine Replacement?

Hi, new to this forum but couldn't find the information anywhere so I thought I'd ask. Recently bought an 01 Corolla CE, 5 speed / 1.8 VVTi. Engine has a knock , and at 350,000km, let's just assume the engine is done. I want to replace the engine, and I want to know the best way to go about doing this. Would any 98-02 engine work? It's the 1ZZ-FE. I know if i get it from an automatic I'm going to have to switch wiring harnesses, tq, etc, so i think the best course of action would be get just an engine from a manual trans, or just take out a complete engine and trans from another manual rolla. A few questions though; can this be done without a hoist? I have basic skills and tools , but no lift for the car, so it'll be jack stands. This leads me to my second question, can I take this engine/trans out the top? If so , where are the spots to connect a hoist to the engine? One last question, is there any other engine that I could stick in plug-n-play style, without needing all new mounts and adapters and such, to give it a little extra power? A lot of questions I know, feel free to answer whichever ones you can. Thanks!

Also, if anyone has a guide or a link to a guide on how to do this engine replacement, please share! Would a Toyota repair manual from the dealership have it in there?

I for one prefer the official shop manuals for working on cars. They tend to be more detailed than the Chilton and Haynes manuals. They can be a bit pricey but include extensive trouble shooting flow charts for diagnostics.

As far as you engine replacement goes. If you just replace the long block you will not have to worry about changing the wiring harness, transmission or computer. Keep your old intake and redo all of the rubber and seals on it. If you go this route, take lots of pictures of every step. Those vacuum lines can get confusing fast.