2001 Corolla - Misfiring and Running Too Lean

I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla that is running too lean and misfires (from code readings). I have to use starting fluid 90% of the time to get it to crank now. It will turn over on its own but won't start. Also, when it finally cranks I have to rev the engine to keep it on and when I come to a stop, the car shakes and stops. If I keep the RPMs high enough when I stop, it usually won't die. I have replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs so far and will be replacing the fuel regulator, fuel injector o-rings (because they were dry rotted and there was a severe gas leak coming from fuel injectors), and cleaning the MAF. I also noticed a valve cover leak when I changed my spark plugs. I have narrowed it down to my fuel system but would like to know of any greater issue I may have. My engine also knocks and every week or two of not putting oil in it, I am 1-2 quarts low. I have noticed the smell of gas fumes in the passenger compartment while I'm driving. Please help, this is my everyday driver vehicle. Thanks! :)

STOP.

DON'T replace anymore parts.

DIAGNOSE.

The clerks at the discount auto parts stores are smiling when they see you coming! Do you know they are tracked as to how many parts they sell per hour?! They have a vested interest in selling you as many parts as possible.

Next, for an engine to, "crank", means when the key is turned and the starter engages, it spins the engine to start it. That is cranking an engine.

Did you gap the spark plugs before installing them?

Is your engine equipped with spark plug wires?

From the symptoms you mentioned, guessing, it sounds like the engine could suffering from a vacuum leak. To diagnose this, using a spray bottle you can fill with water, start the engine and keep it running, then slowly and carefully, spray water on all the vacuum lines and hoses connected to the engine, one small area at a time and if you hear the engine run suddenly run differently, (smooths out, engine rev's go up, or it stalls), you have pinpointed a vacuum leak.

As I recall, 2001 Toyota Corolla's are noted for rather high oil consumption. Using a good synthetic oil like AMSOIL will help reduce oil consumption while increasing fuel economy, lower engine operating temperatures, extending engine life, save you a lot of money in reduced maintenance costs, lower emissions, much easier cold winter engine starts and other benefits. I'll get you wholesale prices which are lower than listed retail prices by about 25-30%. Check my website below.

Remember, stop replacing parts. That gets very, very expensive and a lot of perfectly fine parts end up in the trash.

Keep me posted with what you find.

Older cars had a smaller gap. Newer cars have stretched that gap by increasing output voltage of the ignition coil which creates a stronger spark.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

I for one get a little perturbed with folks that come on this forum looking for free help with their car problems and then when they receive the free help, they don't have the common decency of responding, providing updates for the benefit of everyone else in the forum or even saying thank you. :thumbdown::mad:

This sounds similar to my 2001 corolla ce. Lean error code. As it turned out my Mass Air flows sensor was dirty. Cleaned it and it seemed to be ok for about 2 more years. Now it's returned. Time to take the sensor out and clean it. Last time it happened I replaced the plugs, wires and distributor cap. It didn't hurt it as it was the original parts she came with. Nothing was as simple or worked better then cleaning the sensor. It may be time to visit the junk yard to grab a different airflow sensor.