2003 LE - Power Steering Flush

So just bought me a 03' Rolla LE. Great car, and good gas mileage. (other car's a W212 Benz). Just did the oil change with mobile 1 synt. and mobil 1 filter (Autozone had a sale for $35). ANd now, need to look into the power steering. It's working fine, but I noticed that the fluid level was near the "min" mark and was pretty dark and dirty.

Anyone done this before? Any DYIs? I tried doing a search, but came up empty handed...

:mad:

Where I work, we have a machine that has two lines; a feed and return line. So one button will control to feed the fluid into the resevior while the other button will contol the sucking while you have one guy in the car steering the steering wheel from lock to lock to get most of the fluid to transfer from one side of the rack to the other. Thats how I will be performing mine.

A $5 turkey baster does a great job of sucking out the old fluid and then you simply top off with new fluid. The best performing fluid will be a top shelf synthetic. No, it doesn't get all the fluid in one shot, but it's very easy, takes very little time and if you then just do it a few more times in the next few months, virtually all the fluid will be changed.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
So just bought me a 03' Rolla LE. Great car, and good gas mileage. (other car's a W212 Benz). Just did the oil change with mobile 1 synt. and mobil 1 filter (Autozone had a sale for $35). ANd now, need to look into the power steering. It's working fine, but I noticed that the fluid level was near the "min" mark and was pretty dark and dirty.

Anyone done this before? Any DYIs? I tried doing a search, but came up empty handed...

:mad:
By the way, with the fluid registering at the minimum mark on the dipstick, this indicates a leak somewhere in the power steering system. Find that leak before the low power steering fluid leads to a burned out power steering pump or even a burned out rack and pinion unit which usually costs $500++ to replace.