2004 Corolla A/C Problem

Hoping for some guidance before I have to fork out some big bucks...

I have a 2004 Corolla S with 74k miles on it, and it's been without major problems its whole life. Coming home from a road trip last night my A/C started making a loud whining noise that got progressively louder over several minutes. Turning off the A/C button would stop the noise while the fan continued blowing air. Turning the A/C button back on would bring the noise back. I noticed that the air seemed to be getting less and less cool as well. Finally, the noise got to the point where I figured I should just shut it off for a while. An hour later I tried turning the A/C button back on, but only warm air was coming out of the vents. After stopping for the night, I tried turning the A/C on while idling. The engine RPM bumps up slightly like it should, but the air coming out of the vents is still warm.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping this is something I can repair myself, but I have no idea where to start. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am not an expert by any means, but if you were my sister, I would make the following recommendation

Sounds to me like you have a compressor that needs to be replaced.
Bring it to a shop for an estimate.
Let them know exactly what happened.
They will give you a free opinion and a free estimate.
You should get at least two of these to compare.
If a shop will not offer you an opinion and estimate for free, leave and go to the next shop.

Come back here and let us know what the Automobile Air conditioning Mechanics have quoted.

You will not be able to do this work yourself (You will have to evacuate the system, then test it for leaks after you have replaced the compressor), so a shop will have to do this job.

I am sorry, this forum is still quite young. It is a shame no one else stepped in to at least acknowledge your post

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. After poking around under the hood over the weekend I came to the conclusion that the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced. After reading a bunch of guides and watching a bunch of how-to videos, I realized that it is something best left to a professional. Hoping to keep the repair to around $700 =P.