2005 Corolla Front Disc/Pad Replacement

Hi there,

I have a 2005 Corolla 1.6 VVTi which I recently just replaced the front pads and discs on. When I was doing the replacement I noticed that only the top calliper pin could slide in and out, and the bottom one was stuck rigid. I thought this was unusual but I checked the other side and it was exactly the same. It meant the pads went on a little lop sided and now I’ve noticed the discs are getting very hot when I’m driving.

It’s obviously rubbing and I’m just wondering is this normal and something that will sort itself out given a bit of time? Or are my calliper pins broken?

Any knowledge or advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

IFMJohn

That's not right. Period.

Could it sort itself out? Sure. Not likely though. Even if it does sort itself out, they will seize again due to lack of lubrication.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Kev250R

This is my other car
Those pins should come-out. If their seized in-place drive them out (using a long punch and tapping on them with a hammer) should get them free and replace them. You may need to turn the wheel one way to get better access but they should come-out.

Once their out if you decide to re-use them just lube them up before re-installing them. I used a light coating of high-temp grease on my Corolla.

My Corolla is a west coast, rust-free car and had the brakes replaced within the past 15K miles (about two years) and mine were a bit of a pain to get out. You'll definitely want to take a good luck at the pads to see if they can still be used or not. If it were me I'd probably just throw new pads on.

Kevin

fishycomics

Super Moderator
you should have greased the pins with malikyte , and pulled out. if your pin is bent it will be not be free moving?

you can get a new pin and kit

Rockauto.com

Stuck pin most likely they must get greased fall/spring. visually inspectiong, does not work well at times , on brakes.