2006 - Automatic Transmission Gear Selector Light Out

Automatic gear selector light is out which is needed at night for sure. A senior friend's 2006 Corolla is very low milage of less than 30k miles but this is what I thought to help her with. All other lights work fine. Gear selection works fine. Does the gear selector lighting interconnect with dash lights. They seem to work just fine. Seems a little early for a bulb to fail. What trail of connections or fusing should be checked first? Is it common for a switch interconnect to fail? There seem abundant internet visuals of diving into console to reach light bulb.

put some tape over it, you won't remember. haha, i'm just kidding. i hate when my corolla has anything wrong no matter how small. i just paid to have the lumbar thing fixed in my seat.

nmead

not sure what your gear shifter looks like. if there's trim around it, you can use a screwdriver to pry/pop the trim out, and then use it to pry/pop out the little box that has the gear labels. i had to do it on mine, once the trim is popped off, pry that box up starting with the bottom right corner and then working counter clockwise (bottom right, top right, top left, bottom left). after that, there's a slot on the left that has the bulb down in it. for mine it was a 194 bulb but i'm not sure for yours since it's a 2006. if you have any other questions about it let me know. hopefully this helps.