2006 Corolla - Strut Replacement?

Hi, I was told by my mechanic that I need to replace the struts (240k miles - pretty sure struts had been replaced once or twice, as the result of traffic accidents). He said the front struts are leaking. I had felt the struts and had not felt any fluid, and there are no fluid spots on the ground under where the car is parked. He kinda shrugged it off when I said that, said something like you're not always going to feel fluid on the outside of the strut or see it on the ground. I also did a bounce test - no major bounce in the back and front does not bounce at all. He said that bounce test doesn't always work - some cars will just be stiff if the struts are no good. anyway, is he pulling my leg, or does he sound truthful?

I would get a second opinion. I took my car in for an alignment job and they told me I needed new struts as well. I'm at 85k and the struts are original, but I also did the bounce test and they seemed fine. I took it to get a second opinion, and they said they were fine. I would ask him how he can tell they're leaking if you can't feel or see it. Sounds fishy.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Not truthful. When MacPherson struts have leaky seals and the internal oil is leaking out, it drips a little bit of oil down the sides of the strut, not on the ground. If the strut still passes a bounce test, (presuming you're doing that test correctly), and it's not leaking oil heavily, there's really no need to replace it. To do a proper bounce test you go to each corner of the car one at a time and push down on that corner as hard as you can, then let it bounce back up and then quickly push down on it again, etc., until the car is really bouncing up and down. To do this, you really have to exert a lot of force getting the car to bounce up and down. Then, stop making the car bounce and watch how many times it bounces up and down by itself. Three or fewer bounces and the struts pass a bounce test. If they bounce more than that, then they fail.

I hope this helps you out.

-- Monroe Certified Ride Expert

I just changed out all 4 struts on mine, and I did it because it was beginning to be noticeably bouncy while driving. I had someone tell me they needed to be changed 2 years ago and I just ignored it until I felt a difference.