2006 Toyota Corolla SE Car not starting issue. 154,000 miles

Forgive me since I am new to these types of forums, but my friend is having issues with her car starting all of sudden. She has a interlock device installed on her car that I am thinking is having to do with the issues. She's had the interlock device installed since March 2017.

I've checked the battery (74% charged, but had it charged at autozone to 100% last night), I took out the alternator just for good measure and it tested good as well. When I get to her place later today, I expect to check the fuse for the starter and other fuses to see if we have any power issues like. I have power to lights, but radio does turn off when I try and turn the car on. Battery connection was good, no corrosive elements on the cables or connection.

Do you have any additional issues that I should check into?

Thank you!

- B

If it is cranking than it is either lack of spark, lack of fuel, or lack of air. Was it running when turned off? if yes take off your intake hose and see if the throttle plate is slapped shut and not letting air in, Another way to check the system is pull a spark plug and set it next to the plug hole and stand back while someone cranks the engine. If it fires out the hole you have spark, and fuel, but may not have air. If you checked your throttle plate (I know its not called that anymore) and its open then you have other problems. Maybe a crank and/or can sensor. which is an easy but not cheap fix. You can test them with an ohm meter (you should be able to rent or borrow one at auto zone) If you don't have a meter replace the cam one first it is the easiest one to do. The crank is a little harder to do because of lack of access. The good news is most sensors are the same so you can "borrow" to test it.

If it is not cranking it could be a bad starter, weak battery, or a dead short. Does the battery drain often? Have you tried "catching it in gear". that is easy to do with a manual. Good luck and keep us posted

One more item on the sensors. they could test 60-80 ohms (Check these figures online) and appear to be alright with that test, but they may be coated with dirty oil from a bad seal and will not fire the plugs. There is one small bolt and they are easy to remove (once you have access) and clean, but will oil up again if the seal is bad. Electrical problems are the pits.

If it is not cranking you can put it in neutral and take a socket wrench and turn the crank pulley to see if the engine is "locked"

Don't rule out a bad starter switch. like I said electrical is the pits

Last edited: