2007 Corolla - Motor/Trans Mounts Lifespan?

Hello everybody,

We have a 2007 Corolla with 64k miles. I feel/hear a clunk every time I switch from reverse to drive. It is not very loud but at the same time its not very silent either. It is noticeable! :(

I'm wondering why a motor mount(s) would fail this early?

I'm trying to figure out which one it is?

Also, if anyone knows which one fails first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Did you ever take off the transmission by any chance? Check the bolts holding it in place. Could be a loose bolt, but it could also be something in the transmission. My wife's tranny went bad at 60K, but that's probably because her brothers did stupid stuff with it.

Pop the hood, have a friend go from R to D and listen around for the noise. Usually it is the lower transmission mount that fails when you get that thunk.

As salcuta88 said, wouldn't hurt to take a torque wrench to them either.

It's not so much miles with motor mounts as it is with age. It's been weathered for 7 years, and if the car was ever abused, that makes it worse.

I agree with kopoian, about age as much as miles on mounts. THe most common clunk you describe is usually from a broken front lower center dogbone. like he said have someone power break it in R and D and you will see which one or both has too much movement.