2008 - Chronic Problem With Out of Round Brakes

jdj

Got a great 2008. Happy in all respects except for a chronic problem with the brakes. I can feel what the mechanics call, "out of round" in the brake pedal. The higher the speed, and the more force I apply to the pedal, the greater the "pulsing" of the pedal. Started shortly after the last repair (rotors / pads).

Don't think it's the shop; family's gone there for years, and they generally do good work. But I have had brakes installed at the dealer with same result. I've had "high-end" parts installed, hoping that would help (more money - same problem).

Mechanic said that during the break-in period after new rotors / pads are installed, applying the brakes with a lot of force, especially at higher speeds, can create this problem.

I do mostly highway driving, so I'm slowing down from 65 - 70 at the exit. And I can't honestly say that after the last repair (couple of months ago) I CONSCIOUSLY took it easy getting off the highway on my way to work and back. I may have, just can't say for sure. Focus on lots of things driving an hour into work -- usually work related. Anyway...

Not my first car (actually, it's my second Corolla), and I've never had a problem like this before; certainly didn't have to pay special attention to stopping after new rotors / pads were installed. Been driving long distance for years with different cars; that can't be it.

Is this problem fairly common? Anybody with a similar story (and hopefully a resolution) out there? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The problem is warped brake rotors and is fairly common these days because of the low quality brake rotors that are so prevalent. This should be covered under warranty and the brake rotors replaced. Another thing that can cause the brake rotors to warp is someone using an air gun to tighten the wheel lug nuts instead of a torque wrench. Air guns can exert hundreds of pounds per square inch of torque and this can easily cause the brake rotors to warp. Warped brake rotors are a safety concern as the brakes don't work as well as they should.

Take it back and demand the brake rotors be replaced under warranty and don't let them give you and weak excuses, like them trying to say it's your fault. It's not.