2008 Corolla Battery light comes ON in dashboard randomly for few seconds

Hi guys. I'm from the middle east (KSA specifically) and we bought a used 2008 Corolla (1.6 XLi) last month. My vehicle looks like the one you guys got 1 year later as a 2009 model so I am posting this question here, please move it in the appropriate place if this is the wrong thread.

Overall the car is pretty good except for one strange issue that I can't seem to understand. The battery light comes on in the dashboard sometimes when I take my foot off the accelerator, and sometimes when the car is stationary at a stop light. It's not regular in its appearance though, sometimes it will come on a lot, while other times in an entire day of driving it'll come on once. The important and strange thing here is that it doesn't stay ON for long. Usually goes off within 2-3 seconds, and while decelerating it'll sometimes flash ON and OFF rapidly for like 5 seconds then goes off as soon as I press the accelerator.

At first I thought the battery or alternator was dead, but after testing with the multi meter it seemed to be producing enough voltage, and also the car doesn't hesitate to start if left for 1-2 days so its not the battery.

My suspicion is towards either a loose connection somewhere or a loose belt. The car has done about 228,000 km (about 142,000 mi) and I can't find anything in the service history for a replaced belt or alternator, however I believe the battery is new-ish. What do you guys think?

Thank you guys for your time.

Hello SpicyGiraffe,

If you verify that the alternator is working fine, then I will check for a loose connection. By what you explained if the light goes off when accelerating the engine vibration is less, while becoming smooth the loose connection will stay in place making an interrupted flickering. Once you stop the idle makes the engine vibrate and your connection is lost for seconds. I will start with the connections on the alternator and in the starter motor solenoid.

Kinte

Hello SpicyGiraffe,

If you verify that the alternator is working fine, then I will check for a loose connection. By what you explained if the light goes off when accelerating the engine vibration is less, while becoming smooth the loose connection will stay in place making an interrupted flickering. Once you stop the idle makes the engine vibrate and your connection is lost for seconds. I will start with the connections on the alternator and in the starter motor solenoid.

Kinte
Make sure all your main connections are clean, especially all the grounds.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to check for a loose connection since that seems like the most plausible fault right now. Cheers!