2008 Corolla - Gas Mileage

according to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ my 2008 corolla should have 26 MPG in city
,my car is in good shape the torque is really good but i checked the gas millage it does not get better than 23 MPG in town ,no AC on and tire pressure is good i don't know may be it is reall gas millage for corolla 2008 1.8 L , the car has millage is 38000 and i dont know should check the spark plug or not is there anybody has any idea that what really gas millage would be

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum

You are 'in the ballpark', how do you measure? The only accurate way is reset the trip odometer and fill the tank. Drive. Next fill up, divide miles driven by gallons bought = miles/gallon (miles per gallon). reset the trip odometer again. Even then, the only certain number is from a few tankfuls to average out . . .your driving style, wind velocity, and other variables. Ethanol content changes, winter or summer formulas change.

Let us know what you end up calculating, others here would like to know.

i did exactly what you said but i like to know what is realworld gas millage for

i did exactly what you said but i like to know what is real-world gas millage for corolla 2008 in city mine is 23 mpg after 3 times testing

Welcome to the forum

You are 'in the ballpark', how do you measure? The only accurate way is reset the trip odometer and fill the tank. Drive. Next fill up, divide miles driven by gallons bought = miles/gallon (miles per gallon). reset the trip odometer again. Even then, the only certain number is from a few tankfuls to average out . . .your driving style, wind velocity, and other variables. Ethanol content changes, winter or summer formulas change.

Let us know what you end up calculating, others here would like to know.

It's impossible to obtain consistent fuel economy reading in city driving as there is so much stop and go driving. EPA estimates for city fuel economy are just that, estimates, not concrete guarantee's. Every time your car comes to a stop light or a stop sign in city driving, the car is delivering exactly zero mpg, which totally destroys any meaningful average.