2009 Corolla S hard starting

My 2009 Corolla S has started having a problem with not wanting to start after it has been run for a while and then sitting for an hour or so. Acts like it is not getting enough fuel. Also the starter sometimes continue to turn over after letting go of the key. That sounds like an ignition switch to me but the hard starting has me puzzled. Anyone else had this problem. The car has appx 148k miles on it

My 2009 Corolla S has started having a problem with not wanting to start after it has been run for a while and then sitting for an hour or so. Acts like it is not getting enough fuel.
maybe a clogged fuel filter ? code read ?

Also the starter sometimes continue to turn over after letting go of the key.
my vvt on a few occasion was slow to engage, maybe a momentary oil starvation,
but it sure sounds like grinding gears as it engages. (cpl. sec.)
Just sayin' cause they share a similar sound..

Otherwise I'd suspect the starter contacts/brushes are dirty or faulty... starter refresh kit-new

That sounds like an ignition switch to me
the ignition key switch ?

Otherwise I'd suspect the starter contacts/brushes are dirty or faulty... starter refresh kit-new

Have done some extensive research and also discovered that the radiator cooling fan is only coming on low speed when car is running with ac on. Suspect higher coolant temp is affecting startup after sitting. Read somewhere that the engine will continue to crank up to 25 seconds or until starting. Now suspect that either cooling fan control module od coolant temp sensor is problem. By the way no codes whatsoever

I thought that too, however have heard that starter will continue to try for up to 25 seconds or until car starts

I thought that too, however have heard that starter will continue to try for up to 25 seconds or until car starts
If the starter is sticking and running on when the ignition key is released.
Then the starter is still engaging the fly wheel gears.

This fault could result in a broken fly wheel - starter gear tooth or cracked flex plate
if the starter remains engaged with the fly wheel when the engine fires up.

I doubt the starter engagement delay has anything to do with the cooling sys.
If in fact what you hear is the starter sticking.
I'd personally suspect that the starter contacts(brushes) are worn
or are contaminated due to moisture, gunk build up or salted roads.

IMO 25 seconds is 20 seconds too long.

Found out that the 2009 has the same starting system as the newer ones with push to start button. Rocking the ignition to start and then immediately letting go will engage start relay and engine will crank until it starts. Discovered that my 2006 Tundra is same way. I'll bet not many people are aware of this

Found out that the 2009 has the same starting system as the newer ones with push to start button. Rocking the ignition to start and then immediately letting go will engage start relay and engine will crank until it starts. Discovered that my 2006 Tundra is same way. I'll bet not many people are aware of this
I wasn't aware
my '10 must have it as well ?

Imma check it out.
tho' I'm not real sure what I'm checking

My '10 always fires up immediately when the key is even slightly turned clockwise
and so engagement release is rather abrupt.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding ?

Definitely not like old carbureted/dist ign cars of yesteryear
which often needed several cranks to get enough fuel/air into the carb to spark/fire.

Last edited:
OK instead of holding the ignition key to start position until car starts, just turn it to start and then let it go back to the "on" position. Your 2010 will have the same starting system (start relay). Glad yours starts immediately. The problem that I am having is that when it sets for an hour or two, it wants to crank for several seconds before starting. Chasing that bug right now. Just found out about a tech service bulletin (T-SB-0069-11 Rev2) concerning extended cranking time. I was already thinking that I may have a fuel pressure/fuel pump problem. Bulletin includes 2009 thru 2012 Corollas and Matrix

Last edited:
OK instead of holding the ignition key to start position until car starts, just turn it to start and then let it go back to the "on" position. Your 2010 will have the same starting system (start relay). Glad yours starts immediately. The problem that I am having is that when it sets for an hour or two, it wants to crank for several seconds before starting. Chasing that bug right now. Just found out about a tech service bulletin (T-SB-0069-11 Rev2) concerning extended cranking time. I was already thinking that I may have a fuel pressure/fuel pump problem. Bulletin includes 2009 thru 2012 Corollas and Matrix
Please, I seem to be having the same issues and I've tried everything. Serviced the injector nozzles, changed plugs, even had the fuel pump replaced and its still having the same issues .. please how did you resolve yours?
It's 2008 Toyota corolla sport