2009 Corolla S Reving High

Here is the deal
The car is a 2009 Corolla S manual transmission. The car started this issue two years ago, were it will rev up at an idle.
This only happens when it is colder outside, it needs to be below 30 degress. although it will do it once in a blue moon when it is hotter outside. If you drive it for a while it will not make a difference, but it will occur less. As you are driving and come to a stop, with the clutch in or out it will race up to 2000 rpms, or it will go up to 3500 rpms, it will drop down and rev back up and keep on doing it until you drive off. If you are in a drive thru it will do more so as you are getting off and on the clutch.

I have had the car to the dealer; the first one did not even try or care. The second dealer is working with us, but they say they can not get to reoccur, even though it does it as soon as we pick up the car. And we did get it to occur for them once, we are just not getting anywhere.

I used to work on car for a living a few years ago, but did not want to spend my money to fix the issue, but the car is now out of warranty.

Now I know the old motors had this issue, for intake manifold gaskets, and ECU.
I did have a recall done on the car for the brake failure… I’m wandering if the recall did not make this issue happen.
I feel this is a ECU failure, or it might be a coolant temp sensor, throttle body or wiring.
I wander if anyone has this issue before?

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
How many miles are on the car?

Are there any check engine lights being displayed?

How could a car not even three years old be out of warranty?

Scott, your 5-year, 60k-mile warranty is still good.

If you've taken your '09 to Toyota, and they've told you to take a hike, or have given you the classic (and worn out) company line, "We've never heard of that before", you have two options:

1) Remind the dealer who gave you the Toyota Runaround that THEY TOOK YOUR MONEY WHEN THEY SOLD YOU THE CAR, and that they'd better rethink their position before you spill your guts on all the blogs, everywhere (including getting a lawyer to remind them this is STILL AMERICA, and AMERICANS WILL SUE ANYBODY), or;

2) Go to a better dealer.

A better dealer may be tough to find these days, too, so weigh your options carefully. Either way, take the dealers to task, and get them to get your 'Rolla running right.

I took it into a different dealer, they had the field rep come out on car, they finely attempted a repair… they flashed the ECU. But it is still happening.
They had me road test with them, but it was a warm day, and I told them it was not going to happen and guess what… it did not happen.
The car is still acting up though; I even took a new video.

Awesome vid, dude. Wish more people thought to make visual representations of problems as you have done. Now you have PROOF of your problem, and I'd like to see your dealer/Toyota USA deny it.

Of course, you realize you should send the link to your vid to Toyota USA. Wouldn't hurt if you could find a way to send it to Toyota City, Japan.

I am unable to recommend a fix for you, and while you're waiting for replies here, you may want to go ahead and upload your link at http://www.corolland.com.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Take it back again and again if need be. Check with your states Office of Consumer Affairs to see if your state has a lemon law. With a lemon law state, if the dealership can't fix the car in three attempts, they have to give you your money back for the car.

Don't sit back on this. Go after them! Make them honor the warranty!