2009 Corolla Sport headlight replacement

My right front low beam headlight finally went out, have not tried high beam. Are they the same bulb? First bulb to burn out. Went online to gauge bulbs price of a new bulb. Immediately got confused on all the extreme bulbs available. I do not wish to go LED - too expensive. Originally just wanted OEM replacement. Toyota dealer $24 for one bulb. Thought about maybe upgrading the OEM bulbs for about the same money as in Phillips Extreme - comes with 2 bulbs for $29.

Reviews seemed good but many complained bulbs burned out too quick. Toyota said the OEM bulbs simply say Toyota and no brand name like Phillips or Sylvania. Toyota also claimed fewer problems with their OEM than third party bulbs. Also read it is recommended to replace both bulbs when one burns out. Looking for my best options. Thanks

fishycomics

Super Moderator
if the H series fit at a local auto store you will be just fine do not touch the glass of the bulb and you can apply some electrical grease on the contacts I remember bulbs being cheap now they are expensive if asked.

Thanks for your reply but I was looking for some more specific information to help me decide to go with expensive OEM or get a pair of brighter bulbs. I thought someone would explain if it was ok to go brighter. OEM low beams use 51 watts. I see the brighter bulbs use 55 watts - any possible affects?

Also I do not like cars who use extra bright lights - as if they have brights on - they are really hard on the eyes. I would not want anyone flashing their brights at me if my lights are too bright. I'm looking for improvement in my headlights - not just be obnoxious and get brightest lights possible. So some specific recommendations would be welcomed. I'm thinking if ok, Phillips but dont know which ones. Thanks

fishycomics

Super Moderator
55w low 85w high from memory 51 to 55 not going to hurt or make a bright difference the for example 4K to 5K or 8K will. I look at the bulbs and I stand clear of any film over the Bulb that will throw a color if asked .

I get exactly what you just said a replacement Phillips or Sylvania's remember to replace both, save the one that still works. neverknow when you need a spare good luck

I bought Phillips ExtraVision. Just a shade whiter than OEM and 60% brighter. They were cheaper than OEM stock bulbs and brighter. I am just fine with them. Do not need LED yet. Thanks for your input.