2009 Corolla Steering Issues

I have a 2009 Corolla that has just started having steering problems. The problems do not seem to be related to previous recall issues. When I am turning a corner the steering wheel feels like it gets 'hung up'. The steering wheel becomes stiff in the middle of the turn, then let's go. In some instances all the dash lights have flashed on as if the car has cut off. A moment later it is fine, only to happen again. The issue first started a few weeks ago, only happened one time, the a few days later. Today it happened 3 times. If it were an older car I would say power steering fluid, but I don't think this car has that. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Nita

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
There is a wire that is twisting or stretching and shorting out that is why it is becoming more frequent get it checked fast that can start affecting the driving aspect your trans and engine is controlled by electrical components.

1. Wires twisting or stretching does not cause a short.
2. A short to ground would blow a fuse, causing your vehicle to have no power steering at all times.

If it has conventional power steering then it could be a P/S pump going out. You'd be able to tell by putting a voltage meter on your battery and turning your wheel (with the engine running). You'd see the available battery voltage drop while turning your wheel which would indicate high resistance in your P/S pump causing your belt to slip.

If you have steer by wire technology (electric power steering) then it could be resistance in a wire or a bad motor.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

It could. It might not.

I fix semis, not corollas. I'm not sure what codes an electric steering system on an automobile would throw.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Umm yes it could it has happened to me an electrical system is a big loop if bone thing shorts it can cause the whole system to short he has electric power steering and in the middle of a turn his dash lights are flickering and you no what I mean by twisting it is contacting another wire or piece of metal and does not always caus e a blown fuse some things are not so clear cut I have my money on a wire shorting out or it is torn if the pcm gets shorted in the middle of the turn that would cause the stiffness use to happen to me all the time

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
The pcm controls all I had a 1996 Concorde with electrical problems and a wire shorting in the steering column caused exactly what he describes

Umm yes it could it has happened to me an electrical system is a big loop if bone thing shorts it can cause the whole system to short he has electric power steering and in the middle of a turn his dash lights are flickering and you no what I mean by twisting it is contacting another wire or piece of metal and does not always caus e a blown fuse some things are not so clear cut I have my money on a wire shorting out or it is torn if the pcm gets shorted in the middle of the turn that would cause the stiffness use to happen to me all the time
If one thing shorts it causes tons of problems, no debate there.

However, twisted wires do not cause a short. I have 2 (of 2 offered) factory certifications in electrical from peterbilt. I know a little bit about electrical. Look at a modern day wiring harness, there are pairs of twisted wires all over the place. Twisted wires do not cause shorts.

When you say that rubbing through the insulation can cause a short, you are correct. However, I have never seen wires rub through because they are twisted.

Kev250R

This is my other car
I hate to correct you but I'm a licened Electrician, twisted wires on their own won't cause a short, but tight, twisted wires will. Happens in cars too.

To the original poster, check any and all wires leading to or in the area of the steering shaft and rack. Make sure all connectors are tight, clean and secure. As far as I know failures with the electric rack won't trigger a code

Kevin

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
If a wire repeadetly keeps twisting and is being pulled it will tear eventually it is probably caught on something or just not seated right...

Your getting a little off subject you clearly knew what I meant and your just playing devils advocate. My point is is there is an electrical issue a power steering unit going bad does not cause dash to flicker and that is what my point is so stop making a big deal out of how I worded something I'm pretty sure the person knew what I meant and you knit picking my words helps no one if your motor mounts are bad and a wire is being pulled on it will cause a short same idea in the steering wheel

If a wire repeadetly keeps twisting and is being pulled it will tear eventually it is probably caught on something or just not seated right...

Your getting a little off subject you clearly knew what I meant and your just playing devils advocate. My point is is there is an electrical issue a power steering unit going bad does not cause dash to flicker and that is what my point is so stop making a big deal out of how I worded something I'm pretty sure the person knew what I meant and you knit picking my words helps no one if your motor mounts are bad and a wire is being pulled on it will cause a short same idea in the steering wheel
I was "nit picking" because the OP does not need to think he should untwist any wire he finds in any harness.

A power steering unit with a worn out bearing can cause the belt to slip, which effects the alternator. Voltage drops and lights dim. I've seen it plenty of times.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Well a licensed electrican just made my point it is more than possible and your diagnoses seems a little far fetched I feel like that is much more rare than a short doesn't take two degrees in electrical to diagnose a problem my mother spent know much about cars but let me tell you one thing when her car messes up she almost always nails the problem on the head

Well a licensed electrican just made my point it is more than possible and your diagnoses seems a little far fetched I feel like that is much more rare than a short doesn't take two degrees in electrical to diagnose a problem my mother spent know much about cars but let me tell you one thing when her car messes up she almost always nails the problem on the head
The licensed electrician said that a very tight twisted pair of wires can cause a short because they rub through the insulation. You stated they cause a short because they stretch a wire when they are twisted.

If you notice, I first said that if he has conventional power steering then he should check those issues. If he has conventional power steering then a short or open will not cause hard steering.

If he has electric power steering then it's not that issue. I made that clear.

I'm done with this thread. Don't listen to the person who works on engine electrical systems all day.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Honestly its dumb to try and diagnose issues over the internet to begin with and you are the one trying to call everybody else's suggestion dumb you didn't like the way I worded it so you had to comment tell the guy the truth go to a real mechanic and figureboutbthe issue don't spend your time on a forum taking guesses. I'm almost 100% it is a wire issue in the steering column and if the guy does come back and tell us the outcome that will settle it and you were not saying I'm wrong just that I didn't word it correctly

fishycomics

Super Moderator
So we are arguing over a Power steer problem, that is shorting in/out?

This is the PS machanical

This is the electrical?????

1. what was the last thing you did to the car, before thishappened?

2.where did you park your car, that possibly a rodent, or mouse, a cat, can get into the engine bay?

3.where do you keep your Cellphone and or electronic devices?something to think about

4.does the area shown in the picture look in good condition, like shown in pic 2?

With the older style,if it goes bad, we still have a wheel to turn, but a lot harder. I wonder what will happen when the electrical one gives out? will it still turn the same as without?

Just posting the pics, so we can better understanding..

Last edited:
If the EPS system fails, the car is a pain to turn, same as when hydraulic power steering fails.

There actually is a recall in progress on Toyota's for wiring assembly that can become twisted and cause the wiring to rip apart inside the insulation, but the recall stated that this will cause the driver side airbag light to either come on intermittently or stay permanently on. So I don't think that is the issue, given the OP's symptoms.

Fishy also brings up a good point. My sister parked her 2007 Fusion next to a bush one time, and a rat chewed on the wiring harness and caused mayhem and an $800 repair bill.

Hopefully the OP comes back and says if the EPS light has been staying on after this has occurred or not.

I owned a 2009 Carolla and recently am experiencing the very same problem. If you guys have not dealt with this problem directly and definitively solved it please avoid speculating / guessing and misguiding us. I too have some experience in electronics and mechanic but still can't figure out where the problem is. What I am sure about is that the shorting is triggered by the steering , When I leave the car to idle parked , as I turn the wheel either left or right the lights dim and sometimes the radio cuts off, . It is this shorting that is causing the steering to lock stiff. I tried cleaning and tightening the lugs but no fix .

I owned a 2009 Carolla and recently am experiencing the very same problem. If you guys have not dealt with this problem directly and definitively solved it please avoid speculating / guessing and misguiding us. I too have some experience in electronics and mechanic but still can't figure out where the problem is. What I am sure about is that the shorting is triggered by the steering , When I leave the car to idle parked , as I turn the wheel either left or right the lights dim and sometimes the radio cuts off, . It is this shorting that is causing the steering to lock stiff. I tried cleaning and tightening the lugs but no fix .
I suggest having your alternator tested. When mine went out it caused all kinds of problems including steering issues.