2009 LE Water Pump

Went to local Toyota dealer for a brake job and inspection. They confirmed my fears, I have a leaky water pump. The car has 72k miles so the warranty does not cover. They want $497.00 to replace it. How hard is it to DIYS? Or should I let the dealer do it for like $450.00? how much have you payed to have this done?

Thanks

Went to local Toyota dealer for a brake job and inspection. They confirmed my fears, I have a leaky water pump. The car has 72k miles so the warranty does not cover. They want $497.00 to replace it. How hard is it to DIYS? Or should I let the dealer do it for like $450.00? how much have you payed to have this done?

Thanks
The Dealer doesn't have to perform the repair. Any competent auto center can replace the water pump and usually at a lower price than the stealership. :)

Replacing the water pump will probably require the timing belt to be removed, so as long as it's removed, you might want to consider having a new one put in its place, as you'd only pay the price for the belt instead of the labor + the belt.

Prices for auto repair vary greatly depending on what region of the U.S. you live in. So, the best plan is to get out the phone book and call around for estimates and advice for this repair. Some auto centers offer credit card offers where they will provide you six months interest free financing, which can really help pay for an unexpected repair like this. Firestone auto centers is one that offers this deal.

Yes, replacing the water pump is a big job and if you've never done it before, it can be a real chore.

I'm pretty certain they quit the timing belts on the Corollas in 01, is this correct? So I'm pretty certain you would not have to mess with that. I have not looked at the water pump on the newer corolla so I'm not to sure how hard of a job it would be to change out, I would most likely change it out myself but I've done quite a bit of mechanic work in the past. You could definately call a few shops in your area and get a quote on what it would cost to replace the water pump, if it were me I would use only OEM/Toyota parts for the repair. Good luck.