2010 Corolla 150k Miles - Need Transmission Fluid Advice

Hi guys, we have a 2010 Corolla 1.8L auto with a little over 150k miles. Its been great so far, no issues at all. So, some people say that the transmission fluid is "lifetime" (whatever that means) some say 100k, some say 250-300k. It seems to drive and shift fine. What do you guys think? Do i need to replace it or just keep driving?
Some fluid from the dip stick:
https://db.tt/GQuynrmM
Odo:
https://db.tt/gLSa0W8h
:D

*EDIT*
I did get an error code for a "transmission solenoid"(or something similar) at one point around 100k. I reset it and the code never came back.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard arthur! :) You have asked a very good question, particularly for a Toyota Corolla. :thumbsup:

This will not be a short post in answer to your question, because your Corolla's transmission takes a specially rated transmission fluid and also has special instructions on how to change it that is unique to Toyota's. So bear with me, read this post to the end and I think this will greatly help you out.

I'm an independent AMSOIL synthetic lubricants dealer of over 27 years experience and I can tell you for a fact that no transmission fluid will last forever. Transmission fluids do need changing periodically just like any other automotive fluid does.

Transmission fluids are colored with a pinkish/reddish dye and as the fluid reaches the end of its useful life, the color will change to first a tan, then brown and then black. This provides a visual indication of the condition of the transmission fluid. Another check to perform on transmission fluid is to smell it and see if it smells burned. I am very glad you shared the pictures that you did because we can see this fluid is indeed very old and I recommend changing it before your Corolla needs a very expensive transmission rebuild. Expensive as in around $2,000 - $2,500. Call a Toyota dealers Service Department and ask them in general what a rebuilt transmission job would cost for your Corolla. Prepare to pick your jaw up off the floor. I don't feel it's wise to risk that kind of a big financial hit by not changing the transmission fluid. By the looks of that transmission fluid, I recommend changing it. Of course, if you're independent wealthy and have a ton of money falling out of your wallet, well then I guess it's not so urgent? :D :icon_lol:

If you have the owners manual for your Corolla, this will provide a list of all the maintenance items for you Corolla and the recommended service intervals. If you don't have an owners manual for your car, your local Toyota dealers Parts Department can order one for you. It's a very important manual to have.

Your Corolla's automatic transmission doesn't take just any old transmission fluid. It requires a Toyota WS rated transmission fluid and most of the automatic transmission fluids I've seen on the market don't have the WS rating, which means of course they should not be used in your Corolla's transmission, or damage can result. How can you tell if a given transmission fluid has the needed WS rating? Look on the back of the bottle and it will list all the ratings that transmission fluid is approved for.

AMSOIL offers not only one, but two Toyota WS rated high quality synthetic automatic transmission fluids for your Corolla's transmission. The first is the Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic transmission fluid below and this is the top of the line, best performing fluid -

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/find/product/atl?zo=349698

The next choice is the OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic automatic transmission fluid, which is also an excellent ATF at a lower price -

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/find/product/otl?zo=349698

When we consider the very high cost of a transmission rebuild, anything we can do to help a transmission last longer can save a us a lot of money and industry leading AMSOIL synthetic automatic transmission fluids can do just that.

Just how good are AMSOIL synynthetic ATF's? Click on the link below to my AMSOIL Performance Tests page and look for the, "Las Vegas Taxi Cab Fleet Study", and you will see what the results of using AMSOIL synthetic ATF in heavy duty cab service were after 100,000 miles not being changed in very severe service use, the transmission is torn down and you can see the internal parts and what kind of condition they are in.

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx?zo=349698

I will deliver the lowest price possible to you or any other Corolla Forum member.

Now, as to changing the transmission fluid in your Corolla, this is not something that can be done at home, or by just any auto center/repair shop. Your Corolla with the special WS rated fluid requires the use of special equipment to properly change the transmission fluid or else the transmission can be under-filled, which can lead to erratic shifting and transmission failure.

continued....

Last edited:
...continued...

I have a Technical Service Bulletin regarding this that I will copy and paste for you below. It's a very important read for you and can save you the huge cost of a transmission rebuild.

Technical Service Bulletin

TSB: DT-2009-10-01
Date: 1/12/10
Product Description: AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL)
Subject: Toyota Transmission Fill System and Aftermarket Transmission Shops

OBJECTIVE:
Inform consumers about Toyota-specific requirements for proper automatic transmission flush and fill procedures in certain 2004 and newer transmissions requiring Toyota WS automatic transmission fluid.

ISSUES:

Certain Toyota applications require use of the Toyota Transmission Fill System to accurately complete transmission fluid changes. Aftermarket transmission shops and at-home mechanics neglecting to use the Toyota-specific Transmission Fill System may under-fill the transmission, which may lead to erratic shift patterns or catastrophic failure of the system. Consumers changing their Toyota WS fluid to AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient ATF are advised to ensure the fluid flush is completed using the Toyota Transmission Fill System.

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION:

Toyota has issued a unique set of equipment and processes related to the successful flushing and filling of automatic transmissions requiring Toyota WS fluid. With the introduction of the Toyota WS ATF specification, certain Toyota applications do not specify initial fluid inspection until 100,000 miles. Though this interval is approved by Toyota, many consumers choose to change their transmission fluid prior to the recommended interval. Consumers who flush and change their transmission fluid to a competitive product, such as AMSOIL Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid, frequently either use fluid change facilities not specifically associated with Toyota or complete the service at home. Often, these shops and consumers do not have the Toyota Transmission Fill System. Without this equipment, proper flush and change procedures may not be accurately completed, leaving the consumer’s transmission vulnerable to the detrimental effects of incorrect fill volume. Under-filled transmissions can result in erratic shift patterns and, ultimately, transmission failure. The AMSOIL Technical Department has received calls outlining the referenced issues and has determined the cause to be improperly filled transmission systems. AMSOIL recognizes that the proper equipment to successfully perform the fluid change is not readily available and is subsequently informing Dealers of the potential risks associated with improper fluid change procedures.

RECOMMENDATION:
AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is the appropriate fluid and an excellent replacement for the factory fill oil in Toyota transmissions requiring the WS specification. AMSOIL recommends consumers with transmissions requiring WS fluid to bring a supply of AMSOIL Fuel Efficient ATF to an approved transmission shop equipped with the Toyota Transmission Fill System. The Toyota Transmission Fill System is discussed in Toyota Technical Service Bulletin TC010-07.

REFERENCES:

Toyota Technical Service Bulletin: World Standard Automatic
Transmission Fluid (TC010-07)

Below are some interesting test results of AMSOIL Synthetic ATF.

So there you go. I hope this thoroughly answered your question. :thumbsup: Your Corolla's transmission has special needs when it comes to the correct transmission fluid and changing it.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.:)

Last edited:
My pleasure.

As per the Technical Service Bulletin, whomever does the ATF change must have the special Toyota Transmission Fill System equipment.

The prices I can get for you on AMSOIL WS rated synthetic ATF will be lower than the competition. Check your private messages for a price quote.

Last edited:
I have a 2011 corolla. just bought this used. 38500 miles. a mechanic says the fluid is ok but should be changed soon due to the mileage. seems to be working fine. does the transmission fluid need to be changed or not? this will cost me $153 so I don't want to spend the money if it's not needed. the manual does not seem to call for it to be changed at 40,000 miles, not that I can see.

Attachments