2010 Corolla - Coolant Drain Plug Location

I'm trying to locate the engine drain plug for my 2010 Corolla. This is the plug that will empty out the coolant that is held in the engine block.

The radiator has a drain plug at the bottom, which is easy to locate. But locating the engine drain plug is a challenge. When I go to a Toyota dealer service and ask them, they just tell me not to bother looking for the drain plug because it's not worth the hassle to try and get to it. This makes no sense. If Toyota engineers designed the engine with a coolant drain plug, then why is it not worth accessing it to do a thorough and complete coolant replacement?

First things first, I would like to know where the plug is locate, then determine whether I will be able reach this plug with a tool to loosen it.

Thanks to anyone who can provide the answer to my question.

Last edited:
Scott,
I did locate the coolant drain plug in the engine block (with help from the Toyota parts department guy who was able to look it up in their online service manual), which is pretty easy to access.

The drain bolt is a 10mm hex head and is located on the backside of the engine block (i.e. the side facing the car interior) about 18 inches directly above where the oil filter is located. You don't have to completely remove the bolt to drain the coolant, just loosen it enough until the fluid starts to flow. All in all, I would say about 3/4 gallon was removed by undoing the drain bolt.

Hope this helps.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
That was nice of the Toyota parts guy to help you out.

Thanks for sharing that information with everyone here in the forum. :thumbsup:

How is your Corolla doing?

I think if you look around the forum here you will find a lot of new additions that are very useful and even fun, like the, "Video of the Day Thread", and the, "Song of the Day Thread". Enjoy and please feel free to share/contribute. :thumbsup::)