2010 Corolla - How to Remove a Drum Wheel Stud

I just broke my rear wheel stud on 2010 corolla. THANK YOU DEALER!
Only about half inch left and I tried hammering it but it wont pop off. Its not even rusted. whats the solution?
FYI; I used a 5lb hammer.

If you need a 5 pound hammer and it is still not coming out, only way it will at that point is if you heat it up, and with a drum, you can warp it badly and compromise your brake system by heating it up.

Stop banging on it, and use a press to push it out. If you don't have one, take the drum to a shop, and they should be able to press it out for you for around $15 or so.

Last edited:
You can also use a c-clamp if you are creative. Find a solid cylinder that has an ID big enough to fit the knurled part of the stud inside of it (the part that holds itself onto the drum, you might even be able to use a large 12 pt. socket for this), cover the top of the cylinder with a piece of metal, and use the c-clamp to tighten down on the busted end of the stud.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
You can only use a hammer if you can heat it up, and with a drum, you can warp it badly and compromise your brake system by heating it up.

Stop banging on it, and use a press to push it out. If you don't have one, take the drum to a shop, and they should be able to press it out for you for around $15 or so.
Post 51

He was given information about it.

Wish him luck.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Am I the master mechanic you were waiting for to chime in? :laughing:

The bang theory

brake cleaner, liquid wrench a regular hammer, the5lb is only doing the damage spreading more bang around, use what is shown and it will get done, if a press is to expensive for you. to much bang transfers to parts., like Wheel bearings.

Just a grasshopper,

Last edited by a moderator:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Of the many video's out there, none show, that I found, or seen pressing out, all are banged, not saying, it is the right way, or wrong, what worked for these guys, who did it?

None shown it heated up either, so if OP uses just a little more force, he will get them out?

I do not think I can get a C clamp behind it. It didnt look like enought space. All i see is banging the stud out and it did not work for me even thought I seen no rust on the stud. Someone told me to carefully put some wd40 in both side and wait and try banging again. any idea if that is even safe since I know wd40 eats brake pads.

You can only use a hammer if you can heat it up, and with a drum, you can warp it badly and compromise your brake system by heating it up.

Yo, I live in Silver spring md. why dont you please tell me who can remove it for me for $15. The cheapest I found was $60.

$60 to press out a wheel stud? What the hell is this world coming to?

Remove the drum, and spray PB Catalyst on it and let it sit overnight, then lay the drum down flat on a solid surface and try tapping it again, then it should work. Use a regular hammer, don't use a 5 pound sledge

Also, did you tell them that the drum was already off the car? That $60 sounds like what they would charge if they had to remove the tire and the drum themselves and put it back together for you.

Last edited:
Of the many video's out there, none show, that I found, or seen pressing out, all are banged, not saying, it is the right way, or wrong, what worked for these guys, who did it?

None shown it heated up either, so if OP uses just a little more force, he will get them out?
Most of the time they do come out with a light tap. But soum was saying that it wouldn't come out, even with a 5 pound hammer, so your options, at that point, are:

1) Soak it in PB Catalyst and hope that it works
2) Heat it up and then bang it out (which is bad)
3) Press it out.

I'm just not a fan of using a ton of force on the hub. If I can't get it out by lightly tapping on it, I'll get it pressed out.

Stubborn brake rotors are one thing, because they take the brunt of the shock, but when you smack a stud that is seized in a hub, the wheel bearing takes the shock, and that is not good. For a drum? It's possible you warp the drum and cause brakes that vibrate when applied (and if you miss your target on a hard swing, that's REALLY bad).

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thinking out loud:

A C-Clamp goes on stud, and the other side will fall on the back of the stud, You will now have to find a way to off set this, or rig up a better design.

That would be cool.

Sounds like the stud that soum has on there was probably machined wrong (i.e. OD was oversized), or there is rust that he cannot see binding it up badly.

I've never personally had to give one more than a few taps to get it out.

I did not remove the whole drum set, just the cover. I dont even know how to remove the whole drum set. lol. I will try to use pb blaster and see if that works. Will the pb blaster mess up the brake pads or anything else?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I have a light whistle or squeak,so I shall takeoff my rear tire and drum, for my personal inspection, while I am doing so "I WILL NOT" take my stud out, but ishall look at it see if there is something you may not be correctly doing?

I say what may be stopping you from memory here. Is make sure something is not blocking the stud, possibly there is an opening and you are banging in an closed area.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
ok idk what you mean by that fish. But does pb blaster mess with brake parts and pads?

I said over the weekend I am looking at my brakes, will look at the stud, for you.

Get yourself a Solo cup. take a towelette. and spray the towel. and then hold it against the part. No parts get oil.

I said over the weekend I am looking at my brakes, will look at the stud, for you.

Get yourself a Solo cup. take a towelette. and spray the towel. and then hold it against the part. No parts get oil.
Fish, keep me posted. Let me know if you find something interesting and its the rear left drum brake.

btw, I am going to jack my whole car. But the area I am going to do it. its kinda slight hill. So when I jack my rear. One side of the car was higher than the other side by 2inch. So the car is basically tilted on the left. Would this be dangerous if I jack the whole car?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I have to agree, but I said I will not go further than what I did? It will take a great strike, to get that out, for sure.

In my video (am good) I demonstrated the stud. While I had to inspect my drum, there happened to be a string, that may have caused my sound, as well some rust, Rear Brakes (not breaks) have 50k or more life on them.

I as well showed, how to chock, how to lift, how to jack, how to take a tire off, how to correctly place lugs back. I show...

I hope this helped out somewhat, the hill is there. going DOWN. You just can not see it.

FISH

Last edited by a moderator:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thanks. Just trying to help out. Always go well beyond the help. If he takes note, he will see the stud move twice. I watch my video's and I taken note, that if I angled the shot I may have gotten it out. but for me. it is a perfect stud, not a dud!

Thanks Scott Want to know something real funny, the ambulance was running and two guys SLEEPING, we awoke them, and they moved to another location SLEEEPING!

Fishy, I cant thank you enough for the great video. helped me a lot.
Few follow up question,
What was the bolt size you used to remove the drum. luckily mine came off really easy, cant say the same for my sienna lol.
second, ether you or anyone else ever lifted the whole car? I wanted to try that so I can dip my wheels. but road is little tilted so I belive it will be tilted by 2inch on left side. would that be a problem?
Thanks

Soumikcha, you're killing me.

1) Yes I have lifted a vehicle on all fours, several times.
2) Find level ground, but if it isn't possible, then shake the car to make sure it won't move. If it moves, you can't do it safely.

Watched your video fishy. No room for a c-clamp + socket back there, even with a small one, and wow ... I have never seen lug studs on that tight. They should have come out with the amount of force you were using.

Almost seems like you are better off pulling the hub out entirely (then the c-clamp + socket will work, or the press). I wouldn't be comfortable using more force on a hub than what you used.

Nevermind ... forget that. He was beating the crap out of that hub because he was replacing it anyway (Toyota rust issues are ridiculous for this stuff).

If it isn't coming out with a hammer, you have one of two options.

1) Buy or rent a hub puller to remove the hub (which is what he should have used), then from there, use a c-clamp + socket or press it out at a shop.

2) Pay the $60 and let it be their headache (however, they may just beat it out with a pneumatic hammer or pound away with a sledge and cause you problems down the road).

Last edited:
Here is a great video of a hub puller in action. I prefer these ones because they do not require putting pressure on the bearing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhNxBfIprro"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhNxBfIprro[/ame]

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Fishy, I cant thank you enough for the great video. helped me a lot.
Few follow up question,
What was the bolt size you used to remove the drum. luckily mine came off really easy, cant say the same for my sienna lol.
second, ether you or anyone else ever lifted the whole car? I wanted to try that so I can dip my wheels. but road is little tilted so I belive it will be tilted by 2inch on left side. would that be a problem?
Thanks
I do not have four Jack stands, only two. I can demonstrate the lift, and where, and how, etc.. but with 2 stands two hydrolic jacks. the car will be leveled due to the floor jacks. I lifted my Old CR-V to try my best to fx the transmission, on unleveled ground. ALL four wheels had to be spinning. AWD (all wheel drive) must be off the ground.

I say LIFT it. Rear of car place to that downhill, , front to the uphill, Jack stand has adjustments for height, one click up only.

If need a demonstration you got it!

Watched your video fishy. No room for a c-clamp + socket back there, even with a small one, and wow ... I have never seen lug studs on that tight. They should have come out with the amount of force you were using.

Almost seems like you are better off pulling the hub out entirely (then the c-clamp + socket will work, or the press). I wouldn't be comfortable using more force on a hub than what you used.
Thanks Don. The tool I found should slide in better then the C-clamp due to the thin back it has. I have a smaller C-clamp, but the opening we know will not be the same size as the larger, so it ia no go for the smaller one, I have?

The meathod we use to bang in loxons or Anchors. is exactly like I shown, put the lug on, but some lug nuts are cover's. Hearing the difference in sound, and using, like said enough force. One Solid blow, real hard would get it off , I believe?

I totally agree Don., You do have to keep banging, it will give, if you are banging for to short a time, and to soft, the strike is not right, if asked. Just my thoughts

That last video, he cut to the chase, be there all day extracting it out. a ton of lube is needed, but that is what he will have to do.

Last edited:
I do not have four Jack stands, only two. I can demonstrate the lift, and where, and how, etc.. but with 2 stands two hydrolic jacks. the car will be leveled due to the floor jacks. I lifted my Old CR-V to try my best to fx the transmission, on unleveled ground. ALL four wheels had to be spinning. AWD (all wheel drive) must be off the ground.

I say LIFT it. Rear of car place to that downhill, , front to the uphill, Jack stand has adjustments for height, one click up only.

If need a demonstration you got it!

Thanks Don. The tool I found should slide in better then the C-clamp due to the thin back it has. I have a smaller C-clamp, but the opening we know will not be the same size as the larger, so it ia no go for the smaller one, I have?

The meathod we use to bang in loxons or Anchors. is exactly like I shown, put the lug on, but some lug nuts are cover's. Hearing the difference in sound, and using, like said enough force. One Solid blow, real hard would get it off , I believe?

I totally agree Don., You do have to keep banging, it will give, if you are banging for to short a time, and to soft, the strike is not right, if asked. Just my thoughts

That last video, he cut to the chase, be there all day extracting it out. a ton of lube is needed, but that is what he will have to do.

Thank You fish, i am going to do it tomorrow. What is the bolt size did you use to remove the drum? was it the 1/8 size? And what is ur name? I am sure its not fish.lol

Yes! got the bolt removed with hammering lol. Used some pb blaster but dont think it helped as i only let it sit for five minutes. I hammered so hard it gave up. So the problem I am facing now is putting the stud. I was able to use the bolt to twist half of it inside but now it is really hard and I cant tighten it more. what can I do now?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Yes! got the bolt removed with hammering lol. Used some pb blaster but dont think it helped as i only let it sit for five minutes. I hammered so hard it gave up. So the problem I am facing now is putting the stud. I was able to use the bolt to twist half of it inside but now it is really hard and I cant tighten it more. what can I do now?

Join a Gym, and lift more weights, was what I wanted to say

Congrat's we knew you get it done!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I hear ya, I know you were afraid of hitting it, and the brain took over, to stop. and that wins everyone over here, thinking how to go about the problem.

Ask questions, sleep on the decision, and go for it.

Wow, I have been cleaning the wheels of the olf dip since 2pm. Now its getting dark and cannot finish it today. Is it safe to keep the whole car in jack? Or should I put the wheels back. So tired....ahh!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Wow, I have been cleaning the wheels of the olf dip since 2pm. Now its getting dark and cannot finish it today. Is it safe to keep the whole car in jack? Or should I put the wheels back. So tired....ahh!

It is safe, but not safe if others approach the car un attended. You can return to the car, but before you d any work you must reinspect the whole car. working safe is KEY! Sun is still up here Lol maybe time to fill your profile out

Fish, it looks like you live in NY. I am actually in MD. It was sunny but dipping wheel takes upto two hours and if it is not sunny enough to cure, it could be a problem. and My room do not have enough space to dip four wheel. lol
I will finish it tommorw. It took me over five hours to clean the old dip. I did seven coat but they were so bad and thin.....lol...i cant finger my feeling.

Is it really worth all this time and trouble?
If you read carefully, I stated; I did it too thin. that means I did it wrong. If I would have dipped it right, It takes only 30 second to remove it. This time I will make sure to do it right. I got the cans for $1.53. Great way to protect against simple curb rash and harsh winter coming very soon.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If you read carefully, I stated; I did it too thin. that means I did it wrong. If I would have dipped it right, It takes only 30 second to remove it. This time I will make sure to do it right. I got the cans for $1.53. Great way to protect against simple curb rash and harsh winter coming very soon.
Prevention of curb rash, and dipped wheels will do that? or should we say when you scrape the curb, your dip job will show a shiner. of the alloyd.

Agree with Scott, maybe it looks cool, cost you a floor jack (if used), four floor jacks. hope o t is worth it

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Most important thing. And I am sure Scott can explain a little better because of his background in tires and all.

SPEED BALANCE.

Will your wheels now be correy balanced and not thrown off due to the excessive spraying.

Get a bunch of washers to put over the stud, that will let you get it on all the way. You can't tighten it anymore because you are out of thread.