2010 Corolla LE Cruise Control Question

Fred_G

Howdy, I searched the Google and on the forums and am unclear. Does anyone know if the 2010 Corolla LE is prewired for CC? Needing only the switch to enable it, or does it require more parts?

Thanks.

Most are. My 2009 was. go here; http://www.rostra.com/custom-drive-by-wire-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php
Go over to 250-1836 then click on Form#5156 and scroll down to the Corolla section. I used this info to help install mine. I got a used stalk which plugged right in, I just needed to re-do a ground connection in the steering wheel. Note: the cruise stalk is not Corolla specific, the same one is used in multiple vehicles.

Fred_G

And it does not have it. There was no open 4 prong plug for the cruise control to plug into. There was a 3 pin the horn ground was on, but it would not work on that.

Actually, it could be my installation or a bad cruise switch? It does have the Cruise icon on the cluster next to the speedometer.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I did mine but I do remember having to re-do the ground wire because it couldn't plug back in to the original spot. I think because that's where the cruise plug went. Did you take a pic by chance?

Fred_G

I do have a picture. Going to try it again in the AM. But the cruise did not light up when it was plugged in. Does the horn ground have to be grounded for the cruise to work? First picture is like it was when I took the airbag out, the second was with the cruise plugged in. IMG_0751[1].JPG IMG_0754[1].JPG

I looked over the instructions again (Including Toyota ones, about the same, http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/install/00016-01208inst.pdf) and they all say to ensure ground is plugged back in. Just wondering, did you verify the ECM has a wire in the proper spot?
My cruise just started acting up. I ordered another switch, could possibly being changing it out next weekend. Whenever I do I'll get some pics as well as find out what I did with the ground wire. I'm thinking ground is most likely problem.

Fred_G

The cruise control wire has 2 wires in the bottom 2 slots of the 4 pin plug. the upper left was where the horn ground was in. The horn ground was also a 4 pin plug, with only the upper left being used. (Cruise only has wires on bottom 2).

That sounds like what I remember mine had. When I looked at instructions again both Rostra (figure 17) and Toyota (figure 9) show 3 wires being used at the plug. I'm pretty sure I cut the 'plug' off the ground, extended the wire and put a grounding lug on it. Don't remember where I attached it but guessing one of the phillips screws that show in your pic. I.m thinking without the wire connected there is no ground going to the switch.

Or if you have the right tool you could try popping the ground wire out of its connector and putting it in the proper spot of the cruise connector. I don't have a tool for that and didn't want to chance wrecking a connector.

Took mine apart. I had gotten a wiring kit thinking my car did not have the wire running to the ECM from what I had read about the VIN . Mine did have it but in that kit was a wire with an end that fit into the cruise plug and the other end clipped on to the back of the air bag.
20200418_104847.jpg 20200418_112236.jpg

Thanks, that is exactly how mine looks. Going to try the CC switch again. Guessing maybe a bad switch? Bought mine on E-Bay. I need to find an adapter like the one you have for the horn ground. I cut the wire off the horn ground a bit too short to re attach (DOH!), thinking it would ground off one of the phillips head screws, but no luck on the horn. I am sure I can get the horn grounded, but that adapter would be the way to go.

Thanks for the pictures, appreciate the help.

I found the bag it came in. Got it from Toyota years ago. 00016-01208-02 but it doesn't show as available any more. It looks a lot like the wiring kit that comes with the Rostra set up. Maybe they would sell it by itself.
I also looked at a couple Toyota parts sites and some of their cruise harness look like they might have the ground wire with it. Might be worth checking into.

Thanks. I tried it again, even drove it hoping just the cruise light was not working, no luck. I have been searching for the cable, messaged Rostra to see if they sold it. I did find a 09-10 Corolla steering wheel with cruise that has what I think I need already installed. Might consider that, not sure if I want to change out the steering wheel.

Just my luck, nothing is as simple as it should be. :D

The cable is just a wire with the proper end on it to slide into the cruise plug that attaches to the steering wheel. The other end then connects where your original (horn) wire did.
1) If you find a steering wheel I think all you would need to change out is the cruise harness, not the entire wheel.
2) I found my old wire and discovered it can be taken apart with a small hook tool. On the side opposite the clip, there is a small center piece that can be removed. it's a little tough to see the edge lines but once found pry on it gently to remove it. This now gives you access to the wire end. I used the tool to gently pry it out of the connector. This would now slide in to the proper spot on the cruise connector.
Hopefully you have enough wire left on the pin to extend it.
004.jpg 003.jpg

Some Corollas didn't have it. I have seen different lists to check by VIN but they are not always right. Both instruction sheets show how to check . Look at Cruise ECM harness step. I would make sure it's there before replacing any parts.

Well, I appreciate the help, I am stuck at this: "RELEASE CONNECTOR FROM THE ECM AND REMOVE THE PLASTIC COVER ". Can't get the cover off. At the point where I might break something so will get my friend at work to look at it in the AM.

I agree with checking the harness. I tend to ignore simple things when problem solving.

Nothing wrong with being safe. I would hate to break that connector.
I think the release 'lever' has to be fully rotated to almost a vertical position. Just keep being patient and careful.

I got the connector off, just cant get the plastic cover off... My boss also has a Mercedes shop, so will get them to look at it. I am sure it is a simple thing I just can't figure out. Always better to wait than break something.

LMFAO. So, 3 Corollas on the car lot. All a bit over 100K miles, 2009 to 2011. Which one do I pick? Probably the only one NOT (as far as I can tell) wired for cruise control. Cue Homer Simpson... DOH! If I am reading the instructions right, pin 40 is on the bottom left of my picture, below the yellow wire. IMG_0764[1].JPG IMG_0764[1].JPG

Fred_G

Well, got the wire run into the ECM plug. (Don't push the rubber plug in, trust me...) Need to get something that will cut the plug to run the wire into the cabin. So off to Oreilly's in the AM. Hopefully will have cruise Sunday. :)

If you mean running the wire through the firewall there is a grommet to the left of the brake booster (when looking from front of car ). My car already had a wire harness running through it but also 2 smaller holes in it. I ran some wires through one of these holes. You can take a metal coat hangar (or something similar) cut the 'hook' part off, then straighten it out. Gently push the end through the grommet. Check from inside to make sure there are no issues, them tape the ecm wire to it. It might be easier to pull it out to do it. Push through the grommet to get wire through and untape it and remove the hangar. Don't go crazy with the tape. I learned this years ago doing car alarms and stereos. The key is be careful and gentle doing it. If it doesn't feel right back off and try again, don't get frustrated and get all macho man and jam it through.

Fred_G

Thanks, I had issues with it... Pretty sure I found out where it plugs into in the steering column, no luck with the wire, got frustrated, and stopped before I broke anything... Got part of it done anyway.

Fred_G

I did not take a picture, but what if there is a yellow wire in pin 2 in the steering area? Instructions mention a brown wire? Will get photos of my car Monday if needed. yellow wire.JPG

Fred_G

Well, no luck. Got the wire from the ECM plugged in, retention clip back, started the car, no cruise. Just my dang luck. Any way to test a switch? Or possibly this car needs the cruise switch with the extra ground wire?

No idea how to test the switch. I had my first one go bad but it still turned the cruise light on. Both switches I installed only had 2 wires to the cruise switch.

Fred_G

Would be a good idea. Part is under $20, so I ordered another. Should eliminate one issue anyway. Don't think even with my luck I would get two bad switches...

Fred_G

Well, seems I am not essential Tuesday, but I told my boss the cruise did not work, and he said bring it by and see if it is throwing any codes.. Doh, did not think of that! In addition to where I work, my boss has an import car repair shop. So, will see if that answers any questions.

Well, still no luck. I tried the new cruise switch, still does not work. Wire is run from ECM to the proper plug, I am lost. The only thing I can think of is the ground wire for the horn is not connected anymore. It was connected to a plug that goes where the cruise plugs in. I tried running a wire to the correct pin on the cruise plug, no horn no cruise.

They did check it on the computer, said something about cruise not available on this ECM?? Not sure if that was just because it is not turned on or what.