2010 Corolla: Rattling/Shaking When Turning and Over Bumps

Dan

Hey everyone,

At first I had been hearing this rattling and shaking kind of noise coming from the passengers side of the car whenever I make a right turn and accelerate, as well as full turn right turns at slow speed, such as parking. However I'm now hearing this noise when going over bumps. Clearly something is getting worse but I'm not sure what it is, I've been doing some googling and people have said it could be the shock mounts, loose brake pads, cv joint, etc. I wanted to see if anyone here had specifically had the same issue with their car and could shine some light on this for me.

Dan - Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup: :) :thumbup::thumbup1:

Unfortunately there is no one cause of any particular noise. It could be coming from a host of different sources. The only way to find out is by getting the car on a lift and diagnosing.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Correct, we can pull, pry move, but you really have to know what to look for, Bringing to a shop, and getting FREE advice, I guess is no go? FREE cannot hurt, can it?

HPPR

Hey Dan,

Had the same problem as you on my 2010 Corolla, so did the previous owner. When I checked the Toyota service history previous owner starting hearing the grinding/creaking crunching noise at 16k miles when turning, backing up, and going over bumps; service department said nothing was wrong. I bought the car with 18k miles and only heard the noise twice when full turn right and fast acceleration. Noise went away when turning. Noise only comes back when I'm going over 50 and is windy, typically any cross wind will make the noise come back. Wondering if that happens to you as well? I've gotten under the car to check for anything that might be loose and can't find anything. Noise still comes when windy. Let me know if you figured out the problem.

It would be difficult for anybody online to properly diagnose it. Hearing the noise is completely different from reading it.

Noise during windy cross wind or in excess of 50 sounds like a weatherstrip issue, but again, that's a shot in the dark.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
yes love to hear.

what I think is the aerodynamics may be off a lower flare, flap loose.

car sux in windy conditions and stock tires placed by certain dealers. never did I have a car that road hogs the road like this

i have this same creaking and clicking noise that Dan referred to last April and it all started when i changed the oem front pads and rotors to powerstop z23 pads and centics rotors. its either the pads or the pad hardware or the installer. i went to a local shop that knows what they are doing but something isnt right. im so bummed. i shouldve went to the dealer. it went away for a day, then after i washed it, the noise came back. it only occurs on uneven pavement at low speeds, when im turning the wheels

03 corolla , 240,000 change lower control, sway bar , sway bar BUSHING, shock ,axle, shock mount ,bearing , rattle on turn at slow speed and slow speed on gravel road PLS H

I have a 2010 Corolla that just started making popping sounds from the front end when turning back and forth or going over speed bumps. It started a couple days after I installed a set of BC coilovers I have looked at it and seems to be coming from the steering rack itself. I took it to the Toyota dealership thinking that since the mechanics there look at these cars every day they would be able to diagnose it, the mechanic wouldn't even look at it because I have bc coilovers on it and said that is what caused the problem and to put the OEM suspension on it. Getting ready to order a new steering rack to swap out unless anyone here has a better idea.

Hey everyone,

At first I had been hearing this rattling and shaking kind of noise coming from the passengers side of the car whenever I make a right turn and accelerate, as well as full turn right turns at slow speed, such as parking. However I'm now hearing this noise when going over bumps. Clearly something is getting worse but I'm not sure what it is, I've been doing some googling and people have said it could be the shock mounts, loose brake pads, cv joint, etc. I wanted to see if anyone here had specifically had the same issue with their car and could shine some light on this for me.
I recently went on a road trip and about half way there had a VERY similar experience. When turning right or going slow it was a ridiculous sound. I looked and couldn't see anything underneath. Got to my destination and jacked it up. There was a plastic cover that had come loose. Didn't hang enough for me to notice without getting RIGHT under it. $2 pack of clips and has been like brand new again. The plastic cover piece was right next to the wheel and was getting caught in the suspension when turning or going slow enough the wind didn't hold it up.

soo...what was it? going to leave us hanging? my car started this occasionally over the last few weeks. coming from the front right as i turn right or left occasionally...2010 corolla s with about 111000 miles
Sorry, thought I had posted a video. My bottom front sway bar down linkage (I think that is the correct terminology) was a little loose. Tightend it image.png and viola.