2010 Corolla S Won't Turn Over

Hey, guys and girls, new to the forum because I could REALLY use some help. I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to my Corolla, so I thought one of you could help...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101302244323970

This video shows my car not turning over. I have tried to jump it (just for the heck of it), checked fuses, etc. A guy told me that the starter sounds OK so I'm at a loss for what could be causing it. The only thing that I noticed is that my coolant level is low - but since I'm close to a 45K oil change it doesn't surprise me that my "levels" are low.

The other weird thing is that when I let the key go when attempting to start it, the sound continues. It's not until I move the key back to the OFF position that the noise stops.

Much appreciated!

Sounds like the starter to me. I once had a car do the same thing. I replaced the wires,plugs, points. (yes points) It was getting fuel and it turned over real good. Went to a local auto parts store that specialized in that brand of car. Told him what was going on and he immediatly said it was the starter. So I reluctantly bought one and put it in and phrooommmm, started right up.

Thanks, mate for the pointer. I had thought the starter was engaging, but I'm not sure. It's at the garage for a $100 diagnostic test. We shall see!

Last edited:
I have seen this exact same behavior on my 2009 when I tried to start it with a copied key that hadn't been "chipped" into the computer. Do you have another key that you can try?

Very interesting about the key. I didn't think to try that but it seems like the problem has been remedied... for now! The mechanic said that the diagnostic test clued him in on faulty air induction. Apparently he just cleaned the air induction valve (he might have also said "idle air control valve"), reset my car's computer and that was that. It started right up and I fortunately have not had any trouble since!

Hope this helps... I'm learning a lot about cars in the process!

Now that the vehicle starts, are you still using the same key that wouldn't start it before? If so, that eliminates the un-chipped key as a possible cause.