2010 Corolla S

Hello fellow Corolla owners. I'm new to this forum and I would like to learn more about maintenance on my car. I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla S that has about 35k miles on it. I have many questions that I cant seem to find answers to because there are so many different answers on the web. I first off would like to know what kind of oil to use and wondered if the brand also matters. Do I also change the oil filter the same time I'm replacing the oil? What oil filter is recommended as well? Where do they sell the cheapest recommended motor oil? If you guys can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

what type of oil will be in your owners manual. the frequency of the change will also be in there. although many say brand does not matter you do get what you pay for. yes change the filter at the same time as oil. again with filters you get what you pay for. as long as the oil and filter meet the manufacturers standards you can use it and buy it anywhere.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Hello fellow Corolla owners. I'm new to this forum and I would like to learn more about maintenance on my car. I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla S that has about 35k miles on it. I have many questions that I cant seem to find answers to because there are so many different answers on the web. I first off would like to know what kind of oil to use and wondered if the brand also matters. Do I also change the oil filter the same time I'm replacing the oil? What oil filter is recommended as well? Where do they sell the cheapest recommended motor oil? If you guys can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

what type of oil did you use before, and filer, rather some one pun you with remarks (wink)

safest bet is to use what works for you.

I use Castrol... 5w20 SAE20... Toyota's filter.

I follow a 5-10K ritual, I will change out @7.5K per oil and filter.

I will inspect all. and will not be changing anything else out.
the book SUCKS!

brake fluid 3 years
power steer 3 years

Oil 5-10K filter every other general, sever every change

trans 60K change 3x full change, every 3rd oil change 1x (3.1 qts) filter at 60K.

I was no help at all I know it!

Thanks for the information. I always brought my car to the dealership because I had 5 free oil changes. I'm finally out so I want to start maintaining the car myself. Not sure what the dealership uses but I'm sure you do lol. I have another question. Whats the difference between 5w20 and 0w20. I read in the manual that 0w20 works better in cold weather, better for starting up the car. Also the toyota filter, am I able to purchase it at any regular auto store or would I have to go down to the dealership to get it. Also what is the average price for these items? Sorry for all these questions but thanks!

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Hi Tony and welcome to the Forum! :thumbsup:

I'm an independent AMSOIL synthetic lubricants Dealer of 28 years of experience, so I think I can help you out here. I also have even more years experience managing auto centers so that's even more experience that can help you. :)

First of all, do you have the owners manual for your Corolla?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thanks for the information. I always brought my car to the dealership because I had 5 free oil changes. I'm finally out so I want to start maintaining the car myself. Not sure what the dealership uses but I'm sure you do lol. I have another question. Whats the difference between 5w20 and 0w20. I read in the manual that 0w20 works better in cold weather, better for starting up the car. Also the toyota filter, am I able to purchase it at any regular auto store or would I have to go down to the dealership to get it. Also what is the average price for these items? Sorry for all these questions but thanks!

no Pro here, so I will not sell you like Scott, having years of experience.....

5W20 SAE20 is a weight of oil, thinner volacity, for winter/Summer and fuel milage, as well shortening the life of the engine, if not maintained correctly.

1974 ( 29 years ago) Synthetic oil was introduced, it is today a better oil some say, and is changed less than more. due to the ingredients that are harder to break down. OW20.

The owners manual for a corolla differ, if you have one that takes SAE20, go by that, if you have one that takes OW20, go by that.

OW20 you must put OW20 in, and can be substituted with SAE20, but has to be changed out the next oil change, reading the owners manual they confuse you enough to just use OW20.

You have options to chose what grade. some will toss in 10w20 a thicker and stronger oil, that will be more suitable for severe driving, and no one in this world will tell you do not mix 5w20 with 10w20..you can.

hmmm 1991 Toyota still running.......

Hi Tony and welcome to the Forum! :thumbsup:

I'm an independent AMSOIL synthetic lubricants Dealer of 28 years of experience, so I think I can help you out here. I also have even more years experience managing auto centers so that's even more experience that can help you. :)

First of all, do you have the owners manual for your Corolla?
Great! :) Yes I do have the manual.

no Pro here, so I will not sell you like Scott, having years of experience.....

5W20 SAE20 is a weight of oil, thinner volacity, for winter/Summer and fuel milage, as well shortening the life of the engine, if not maintained correctly.

1974 ( 29 years ago) Synthetic oil was introduced, it is today a better oil some say, and is changed less than more. due to the ingredients that are harder to break down. OW20.

The owners manual for a corolla differ, if you have one that takes SAE20, go by that, if you have one that takes OW20, go by that.

OW20 you must put OW20 in, and can be substituted with SAE20, but has to be changed out the next oil change, reading the owners manual they confuse you enough to just use OW20.

You have options to chose what grade. some will toss in 10w20 a thicker and stronger oil, that will be more suitable for severe driving, and no one in this world will tell you do not mix 5w20 with 10w20..you can.

hmmm 1991 Toyota still running.......
Thanks for all the information. From what I gathered from the manual, it says 5w20 or 0w20. 0w20 preferable in the Winter they say. Definitely will need some recommendations on some brands as well :)

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Great! :) Yes I do have the manual.
Hi Tony. :)

Great that you have the owners manual as that will list the recommended intervals for various preventative maintenance services, like the ones you listed.

My online product application guide lists two available engines for your 2010 Corolla; a 1.8 and 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine. For either engine the Toyota recommended and preferred oil viscosity is 0W-20. This viscosity is a synthetic oil that Toyota is recommending to be used in these engines. Is your Corolla equipped with the 1.8 or 2.4 liter engine?

Below is the link you can use for my online product application guide that lists the recommended oil viscosity, filter part numbers, spark plugs, component fluid capacities, etc. It's free and can be used for any vehicle -

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?i=1&zo=349698

You can use any oil or filter brands you wish, but be advised as with anything there can be significant differences in the quality and performance of these products from brand to brand. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils pioneered the synthetic lubricants industry for cars and trucks way back in 1972 with the worlds first 100% synthetic API qualified motor oil and is known as, "The First in Synthetics", (TM). AMSOIL, (pronounced AMZ-OIL), has over a 40 year history of manufacturing the highest quality products of their kind in the world and is the worlds largest pure synthetic oil company. I've been an AMSOIL Dealer for close to 30 years and it will be my pleasure to help you out with anything you need. Send me a private message and I can get you the lowest prices possible for AMSOIL that are much less than competing products. For anyone else that is interested, feel free to private message me as well.

As for changing oil and oil filters, yes I strongly recommend the oil filter be changed every time an oil change is completed as that oil filter holds some old oil in it, so adding new oil to old oil, well not so good. It would be tantamount to taking a shower with your socks on. :no: :D

Below is a link to my Performance Tests page and you want to click on the first test result listed - - "A Study of SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oils". This will give you an idea of how many popular brands of motor oil compare to AMSOIL in a battery of standard oil industry tests.

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx?zo=349698

Below the first test listed are many other test results including field test results and they are very eye opening as to the substantial differences and results that can be had with differing brands of motor oils.

As to oil filters, below are the results of a standard industry oil filter efficiency test comparing the AMSOIL Ea Absolute Efficiency oil filter with several other brands, including the Toyota oil filter -

Here is a picture showing the high quality construction of the AMSOIL Ea oil filter -

Here is a 5 minute video from my HiTechOil YouTube channel that will tell you a lot about molor oils and what exactly synthetic oils are. There are many other related video's on my YouTube channel, so feel free to browse and learn -

I take it you are the original owner of this Corolla and are familiar with its maintenance history?

Last edited by a moderator: