2010 corolla sunroof seal replacement

Brand new to forum and glad to have found it. Although the sunroof seal is not seating properly, it hasn't leaked yet. I'm not sure that the glass might be out of alignment, or the seal is out of it's expected service life. No cracks in the rubber, but very noticeable bulges on both R&L sides. I ordered a new seal (weatherstrip?) to see what it looks like and was hoping someone could guide me as in how to start. I found pictures about a 2011 Highlander on the computer, but have no idea if it's the same setup. As new to forum, I wasn't sure if you could enter a topic and it would come up as being discussed previously. Any help would be appreciated, we've had Camry's for years, this is our 1st corolla. Great little car, Thanks, Jersey Bob

I literally just had to do this. My seal was bulging out. Apparently rust is a big problem for our sunroofs. The bulges are likely from rust pushing the seal out. Hopefully you ordered the right part #63251-02060, I accidentally ordered the interior roof liner weather strip instead of the glass one the first time. Basically you need:

A torx bit screwdriver to remove the 4 screws holding the sunroof glass
Gloves and goggles to protect your eyes from the rust
A metal brush to remove rust flakes, possibly a metal file or sandpaper
Masking tape
Rust fix spray paint
Semi gloss black spray paint/primer

The method for removing the sunroof glass is exactly the same as a Toyota Avalon so google that. Put the sunroof in tilt and you can access the mounting brackets. Its held by 4 torx screws. Slide the accordion covers and unscrew them, the glass will not fall in on you because the frame will stop it. You don't need any weird angle tools, a torx bit in a combo screwdriver will work. Move it to your work area and put on your PPE.
Remove ALL the loose rust with the metal brush and file. If you get lazy its just gonna come back. Wear your gloves and goggles cause stuff will be flying.
Mask off the glass with tape, however much gives you the warm fuzzies thats its protected from overspray. Follow the directions on your rust fix paint. It should convert it to a flat black paintable surface. After its dry paint it with the black paint to protect it. It really doesn't matter how it comes out because you won't normally be able to see it but try to get a good coat.
Installing the rubber gasket sucks. You should probably leave it in the sun to loosen it up to help. Maybe take pictures beforehand to remind yourself how it goes.
Reinstall the glass. This also kind of sucked. Get the 4 screws loosely in, then close the roof. It should roughly align itself. Tighten the back ones to hold it in place then open it again. Tighten the front screws, then close it again to check the seal. You will have to play with it a bit and move it up and down to get it right. Congrats on your newly sealed sunroof.

Thanks brzy, you were a big help. After removing the roof and the weatherstrip I realized that the roof had rusted to the point that the channel that holds the seal in place was completely gone in some places. New roofs are expensive, took me a while ( why I'm responding back so late ), I found a great guy to deal with. John Kerr @ usedsunroofs.com. 1/3 of dealer cost for a roof in perfect condition with the weatherstrip installed. Took me 35 minutes ( wife timed me because she didn't think I could finish b4 dinner). One tip which is probably common sense, I magnetized my torx bit and driver to prevent losing them. It made reassembly so much easier, no x #&$#*^# which for me is the usual. Thanks again, good luck to anyone else that has this issue. Jersey Bob ps John ships the roof with no shipping charge can't beat that

No clue what Toyota did on the sunroofs for our gen, the rust problem is so bad on them. Had a 15 year old Highlander with sunroof that was still like new. Wish I had seen that site, $220 is pretty good compared to the $450+ I was seeing. Seal was only $30 though plus $10 in paint though, so hopefully I never have to deal with this problem again.