2011 Corolla S

Hello Everyone,

The 2000 Chevy Prizm (Corolla Bones) was on it's final leg so I purchased a 2011 Toyota Corolla S, Manual with 31000 Miles. I have the following questions.

1. Should I purchase an Extended Warranty? The only major problem I had with the Prizm was the AC going out - the AC was made by GM.

2. Dealer only gave me one key. Where should I get another key with built in remote and what's a reasonable price?

3. Any tips and tricks for my new ride.

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup: :):thumbup::thumbup1:

Extended warranties will only cover catastrophic failures and not normal wear and tear items that are expected to need replacing over time. Many times these extended warranties are sold using misleading language such as, "You're covered with a bumper-to-bumper warranty". Yes, for catastrophic failures only. If you expect the engine or transmission is going to fail, then yes an extended warranty might be wise. However, if you expect the engine or transmission to fail, then why buy the vehicle in the first place? For the very high price a motorist pays for these extended warranties, many maintenance items and repairs can be taken care of. I don't personally feel they are a very good investment and I have read articles in financial journals like Money magazine to that affect as well. It is also not uncommon for extended warranty companies to go out of business, leaving the consumer holding a very expensive, now worthless piece of paper.

Prices on keys can vary. Contact your local Toyota dealers Parts Department or you can also try an automotive locksmith. The Yellow Pages in the phone book can be of great value here.

There are a ton of tips and tricks listed in this forum. Feel free to browse. :)

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
https://ikeyless.com/vehicles/Toyota/

what type of warranty do you have now?

three keys two master and a valet. I request them before I pay them.

Sounds like you'll have 6K warranty or 6 months on the car. I get one if you feel like you need , today most cars will last 6 years trouble free.

That is the difference between a lease and a owner.

Last edited:
extended warranty is up to you. I would not purchase one on a corolla with the reputation they have for lasting along time. as mentioned extended warranties usually will not cover the normal wear and tear on items. as far as key? why only one? I would talk to the dlr as there should be at least two. if it comes down to it on my GM veh I purchased a fob on line for cheap and had it coded at the dlr for $30.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

After calling around USAA had the best price, then the dealership, then some companies on the internet. I think I am going to pass on the warranty and put the $$ in to the emergency fund. My 2000 Prizm had 180,000 miles and the only thing that broke was the AC.

I also called several Yota dealerships and one was great - Larry Miller Toyota. They said they would do a full courtesy inspection, and sell/program another set of keys for only $50.00. I have taken my 4Runner there and they always beat the competition.

The other dealerships said they would look at my car but they were booked for the next couple of weeks and keys would cost anywhere from $210 - 350. :eek:

BTW...the car drives great regardless of the what the so called experts say.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Each individual will deal with it differently.

I am sure you sat down and went through this, and came to th conclusion, it was the car for you.

That is not bad, the price given. I wonder if I can get a key that low.

Todays repairs cost more and lets hope in the long run all works out. General maintenance should not be neglected