2011 Toyota Corolla Deccelerating/Accelerating/Idle Issue Resolved

We bought a 2011 Corolla for my Mom in June 2011. From the beginning, there was an issue with the accelerator, mainly above speeds of 35 mph. With constant pressure on the gas pedal, speed would drop approx. 200 rpm, then go back up. Additionally, when I took my foot of the gas at highway speeds, the car would continue, feeling like it was on cruise control.

First trip to dealer, they told us everything was operating by specs. I then called service dept. mgr. I told her something is definitely wrong, and it's not a transmission issue, like the first adviser tried to sell me on. End result--a reprogramming of the computer. I believe it's called the ECW. The car finally runs and operates as it should.

I read several previous posts regarding this exact issue. It seems to be an easy fix. Apparently, one must escalate their inquiry, and use the right "liability language" to get it fixed.

carl

Same Answer???

I took my 2011 Corolla in for the same problems on 3/29/12 and was told it was normal with Corollas. Other than a member of the service team, do I esclate the issue with the dealer or Toyota? I bought the car used with 7K miles about two weeks before taking it in.

"Liability language". Good stuff!

A year or so ago, when I was on Facebook (what was I thinking?), I suggested the same to people with what sounded like very serious problems which were being pooh-poohed by their dealers.

The editors of Toyota's Facebook page didn't like it that someone was promoting the idea of suing them, and they eventually blocked me. Of course, that didn't prevent me from directly messaging those who posted -- provided they had that option enabled.

jgr119, you may be speaking of the ECM: Electronic Control Module. Yes, that particular item is the cause of many a problem. "Reflashing" it clears up a whole lotta troubles.

There must be a documented fix for the problem somewhere. You may find Toyota Service Bulletins at these sites:

http://www.automd.com/tsb/toyota_m/

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

Cheers

Liability language is good stuff, and truthful

Corolla Mike, I believe you're right, it's likely the ECM. Thanks for the correction.

This was important to me. My Mom is not likely to be driving much longer, and this is likely her last "new car." I accept that, but wouldn't and couldn't accept her paying $20k for a new, less than perfect vehicle. I am grateful I got through to a person who actually cares about their job. It seems to be a lost quality in many workers.

Yeah, I dig it.

First, Toyota wanted to shim my pedal; then, they wanted to trim it. I said no. Fortunately, a person at my dealer procured the redesigned pedal for me, and I couldn't be happier about it.

But isn't it sad that being treated properly is such a crap shoot?

Shim/trim pedal....?

Customer service is truly a "lost art" that doesn't seem to exist anymore. No one cares, it's just "gimme a paycheck" and leave me alone.

What is the deal with the shim/trim pedal thing? Is this a recall issue? This is new to me. Thanks.

Ted

The shim/trim pedal thing is actually old news. The deal, as my Toyota Service Manager told me, was they would cut the pedal down, but if I didn't like the result, they would install a new pedal with the proper dimensions. This is what happened. This all came about because the Feds thought the old pedal would jam on the floor mat. They also reprogramed the car's computer so if you stepped on the gas and the break at the same time the motor drops to idle. This is a feature I don't like and I think all the new Toyota's have it.

As far as customer service goes it's not lost, it's just hard to find. One of the main reasons I bought my Toyotas is because the dealer in my area has superb customer service and this has been true through two ownerships. I've been dealing with this Toyota dealership for 15 years.

The shim deal came about as a field repair for the sticky throttle issue, brought about by its manufacturer's use of out-of-spec materials. The shim was to give clearance, and to separate the surfaces which tended to stick together. Sounds like a real winner, huh?

The trimming was supposed to elevate the pedal so that the potential for a floor mat to be caught beneath it would be greatly diminished. Turns out that in all reported cases of unintended acceleration, none of the vehicles involved were equipped with manual transmissions.

The new pedal, installed on my '09 S, is shorter than the original. I even called Toyota USA at the outset, and asked them to give the part # for the new pedal, and they refused, saying I must have the shim installed first, and that if I didn't like the feel, then I could request the new pedal.

It was when Toyota notified me they wanted to trim my (original) pedal that I just about went into orbit. Rebecca, at my dealer, understood my feelings on the matter and caught their field rep in a good mood. At the authorization of that field rep, I received the new pedal.

But wouldn't Toyota have been ahead to just replace all the affected vehicles with new pedals? I think so, as I've noticed a correlation between those events and an increase in customer dissatisfaction with the way their dealers have been denying warranty repair service. By that, I mean that after the issues with the pedals were resolved, many dealers continued to scuffle with Toyota over the issue of overtime payment. Had the dealers only the new pedals to install, much time and effort would have been saved. Now, it seems dealers are attempting to recoup their costs by denying other warranty services. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
We bought a 2011 Corolla for my Mom in June 2011. From the beginning, there was an issue with the accelerator, mainly above speeds of 35 mph. With constant pressure on the gas pedal, speed would drop approx. 200 rpm, then go back up. Additionally, when I took my foot of the gas at highway speeds, the car would continue, feeling like it was on cruise control.
Likely this issue. "T-SB-0124-11 September 6, 2011
Momentary RPM Decrease Above 40 MPH and/or
Reduced Engine Braking"
T-SB-0124-11
September 6, 2011
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14313686/T-SB-0124-11.pdf

Momentary RPM Decrease Above 40 MPH and/orReduced Engine Braking

Service
Category Engine/Hybrid System

Section Engine Control
Market USA

Applicability

YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2011 Corolla, Matrix VDS(s): BU4EE, KU4EE

Introduction

Some 2011 Corolla or Matrix vehicles may exhibit one or both of the following conditions as a
result of fuel cut logic:

Momentary engine RPM decrease (300 – 700 RPM) while cruising at speeds above 40 MPH.

A feeling of reduced or slightly delayed engine braking when releasing the accelerator pedalat highway speeds.
Follow the repair procedure in this bulletin to address this condition.

Warranty Information

OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
EG9061 Recalibrate ECM (PCM) Engine 0.4 89661-##### 87 99

APPLICABLE WARRANTY

This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is in effectfor 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this
bulletin.
Calibration Information

MODEL ENGINE TRANS PREVIOUS CALIBRATION ID NEW CALIBRATION ID VDS
Corolla
2ZR-FE 4AT
302T1000 302T1100 BU4EE
Matrix 302T3000 302T3100 KU4EE

© 2011 Toyota Motor Sales, USA
Page 1 of 4

T-SB-0124-11 September 6, 2011 Page 2 of 4
Momentary RPM Decrease Above 40 MPH and/or Reduced Engine Braking

Parts Information

MODEL TRAN PREVIOUS PART
NUMBER
CURRENT PART
NUMBER PART NAME QTY
Corolla
4AT
89661-02Q60 89661-02Q61 Computer, Engine Control–
Matrix 89661-0Z540 89661-0Z541 (ECM/PCM) –
All – 00451-00001-LBL Same Authorized Modification Labels 1

NOTE

The ECM (PCM) should NOT be replaced as part of the repair procedure.

Authorized Modification Labels may be ordered in packages of 25 from the MaterialsDistribution Center (MDC) through Dealer Daily – Dealer Support Materials Orders.
Required Tools & Equipment

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT SUPPLIER PART NUMBER QTY
TIS Techstream*
or
Techstream Lite
NOTE: Software version 6.10.041 or later is required.
ADE
TSPKG1
or
TSLITEDLR01

NOTE

Additional Techstream units may be ordered by calling Approved DealerEquipment (ADE) at 1-800-368-6787.

The Diagnostic Tester is NOT recommended for flash reprogrammingwith this calibration file. Please use TIS Techstream or an approvedJ2534 interface to perform this update. Visit techinfo.toyota.com for more
information regarding J2534 reprogramming.
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS (SST) PART NUMBER QTY
GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station* 00002-MCGR8 1

NOTE

Additional SSTs may be ordered by calling 1-800-933-8335.

* Essential SST.

T-SB-0124-11 September 6, 2011 Page 3 of 4

Repair Procedure

1. Check for the Authorized Modifications Label affixed to the vehicle in the location shown in
Figure 1. Confirm if the ECM (PCM) calibration has been updated. If the calibration ID listed is
NOT the latest ECM (PCM) calibration — go to step 2.
Figure 1. Location of Authorized Modifications Label on 2009 – 2010 Corolla and Matrix

1 Replacement ECM (PCM) Part Number (i.e.,
89661-02Q61)
2 New Calibration ID(s) (i.e., 302T1100)
3 Dealer Code
4 Date Completed
5 This TSB Number
2. Flash reprogram the ECM (PCM).
NOTE

The GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station MUST be used in Power Supply Mode to maintain
battery voltage at 13.5 volts while flash reprogramming the vehicle.

For details on how to use the GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station, refer to the GR8 Instruction
Manual located on the Technical Information System (TIS), Diagnostics – Tools &
Equipment – Battery Diagnostics.
Follow the procedures outlined in TSB No. T-SB-0064-10, “Techstream ECU Flash
Reprogramming Procedure”, and flash the ECM (PCM) with the NEW calibration file update.

T-SB-0124-11 September 6, 2011 Page 4 of 4

Repair Procedure (Continued)

3. Install the Authorized Modifications Label.
A. Using a permanent marker, enter the following information on the label:

ECM part number [Refer to the Parts Information section for the CURRENT PART
NUMBER]

Calibration ID(s) [Refer to the Calibration Identification Chart for the NEW
CALIBRATION ID]

Dealer Code

Repair Date

Change Authority [This TSB number]
B. Affix the Authorized Modifications Label to the vehicle at the location shown in
Figure 1. The Authorized Modifications Label is available through the MDC,
P/N 00451-00001-LBL.
4. Test drive the vehicle to confirm proper vehicle operation.

Thanks for this post/thread! Any advise on getting it serviced?

Thanks to all that posted on this subject and especially posting the TSB!!! I have a 2011 I bought used w/ 22k miles. I noticed the lag at 40mph and just thought it was the trans shifting from 3rd to OD and back. I didn't like it, but thought I'd just drive in 3rd unless I was on the highway.

THEN I noticed it would not slow down on the highway (over 50mph) when letting off the gas!!! I was really hacked about these 2 issues. But, thanks for the post and this forum, my mind is somewhat at ease, knowing it can be fixed. I plan on taking it to the dealer in 2 or 3 days.

So, should I mention these problems to the service writer and see if they know about the TSB, or should I present the TSB to the writer and tell him I have this issue???

Any opinions? BTW, if Toyota knows about this issue, why don't they just check their used cars and fix it, or just flash any used car that comes in? Also, any idea what the percentage is of cars w/ this issue???

Thanks again!!!

Dan

My opinion is, do NOT take any crap from a dealer about this TSB. A dealer close to me wanted nothing to do with other TSBs, and I haven't been back for service since. Remember that ALL Toyota dealers ARE REQUIRED to perform any and all requested TSB procedures.

I agree with corolla mike. You've done your homework and educated yourself. I would speak directly with a service dept. manager. Be professional, and respectfull, but let them know you're educated about the problem. You know it can be fixed. I'll bet you get positive results if you present the issue in this manner. Best wishes.

Got it fixed and picked it up on Thursday! NOW it drives and slows down like it should!!!

It looks like they didn't even test drive it, because it only had 1 mile difference on the odometer when I picked it up. I test drove it at 40 mph and then over 60 mph to verify it was fixed before leaving the dealer.

BTW, the service manager was not aware of this TSB and said he never had a car in with this issue before. I guess I was the lucky one!

Thanks to all for the info and advice!

DF

That's great! For the longest time, people were telling Toyota of this issue!

As an aside, the line, "I've never heard of that before", is a FAVORITE among dealers who want us to just go away. You didn't stand for it, and you have your fix. Awesome!

That's great news. The prominent dying quality of "customer service" may not be totally dead after all. Enjoy your Corolla for many years to come.

2011 deceleration problem

I have had this same problem with my 2011 corolla. It will decelerate at approximately 40 mph. :confused:The dealer said it was caused by the device they included to avoid the acceleration problems they experienced earlier. They reprogramed the computer and that helped but did not eliminate it.

ehtruett:

Take a look at the previous post by allegram. You can print out the technical service bulletin (TSB), and perhaps take it to the service dept. manager. I would ask them to perform the repair based on that.

Don't settle for mediocrity. I still believe these are good cars. This is just a glitch that has a solution. The reward awaits you once you get the problem fixed once and for all.

ehtruett:

Take a look at the previous post by allegram. You can print out the technical service bulletin (TSB), and perhaps take it to the service dept. manager. I would ask them to perform the repair based on that.

Don't settle for mediocrity. I still believe these are good cars. This is just a glitch that has a solution. The reward awaits you once you get the problem fixed once and for all.
Each and every Toyota dealer in the country are REQUIRED to perform T-SB repairs you request, provided your vehicle is still under warranty, which yours is.

Get the T-SB for your issue and TELL them, not ask them, to perform the required repairs as outlined in the T-SB. Your best bet for success is to go with one or more of your "guests" or "associates", so that they see you're not alone. Works for going to the doctor; will work when going to a dealer.

Last edited:
I have a 2011 LE and noticed something similar to what this post is talking about. I have had the car for about 2 weeks. I noticed that when I am traveling around town and let off the accelerator, it will occasionally keep the same rpm as if it has the cruise control is on when it isn't. I assumed it was some weird engine braking thing designed to save gas. I might have to take it in and see if it has missed any recall repairs. Thanks for this post.

I bought my 2011 Corolla S few weeks ago and the problem I am having is that the RPM's drop by couple hundred suddenly when easing off the gas pedal. This is more noticeable at speeds of about 60-70mph. I got it checked out under warranty and the dealer said it is the car shifting out of overdrive.
It just does not feel right. I am wondering if this same TSB will resolve this issue as well?

TSB fixes problem

Hi,

Just purchased 2011 with 24000 miles and noticed the car would not slow down, at highway speeds, when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Dealership said no TSBs for my car based on VIN. I strongly disagreed and gave them the TSB. They then found it in another system's database.

Don't get it, this is the third time I had to give a Toyota dealership, three different dealerships, different car models, the TSB repair procedure.

Without sites like this, the consumers would be helpless.

Had this issue 20k when I bought it. I notice these symptoms. Took it to the dealer and they had no clue about what I was talking about, Printed off the TSB form and showed it to them...took a technician for a test drive. They reflash the ECU with the update and problem RESOLVE. Thanks for this!

Thanks to everyone in this forum. I just purchased a used 2011 Toyota Corolla and it was behaving this way to a T. I took it to the local dealer and they repaired it without question. The car drives great now, thank God. Praying it remains a great car for me for a long time.

I was wondering if you think the problem I am experiencing is related. I have always noticed that my 2010 Corolla S seems to downshift really hard (slows down when automatically shifting), but recently, at 45 mph, when I am coasting, the entire car will jerk for no reason. It has also happened around 55 mph. Always when I am off the accelerator. It does not happen all the time. It does not deter movement, but scares the heck out of me. Any ideas?

I am in Canada and just purchased a used 2011 Toyota Corolla with 57,000km (35,000miles) on it. The car is doing what all of you describe. The problem is that the toyota service cannot find a TSB for the 2011 Corolla for recalibration of the ECM. There are TSB's for this problem for other years and models but not for the 2011 Corolla. I need help finding it now that it is October 2017.

I am in Canada and just purchased a used 2011 Toyota Corolla with 57,000km (35,000miles) on it. The car is doing what all of you describe. The problem is that the toyota service cannot find a TSB for the 2011 Corolla for recalibration of the ECM. There are TSB's for this problem for other years and models but not for the 2011 Corolla. I need help finding it now that it is October 2017.
Hello , I just bought a used 2011 Corolla this summer and it seems to have the same deceleration issue. Did you manage to find the TSB and was that a recall. If yes, can you share the info so I can take it to a Toyota dealership to have the ECM reflashed.
It is quite dangerous really especially on highway. Wonder if they are going to charge me for repairing this. Thanks very much.