2013 Corolla - Cruise Control

Hello everyone. My name is Jay, I live in Dania Beach Fla., and I just now joined the form. I'm trying to have a cruise control installed in my new Corolla. Getting it installed at the dealership is not the issue. Finding one is. From all my research I found a company called Rostra precision controls. Their part # is 250-1836. It can be purchase thru, The Cruise Control Store. It is meant to fit 2009-13 Toyota Corollas, Tacoma's and a few other vehicles in that year range. However when I showed the pictures of the unit/system to the service manager, where I'm having it installed, he said that is not the factory unit. The factory unit was, for lack of better words, "plug and play". The actual stalk with the controls is factory. He further explained that Toyota has discontinued being able to purchase the parts necessary. I know this was very long winded, but it brings me to my question, which is, should I buy this unit? The service manager said they would have no trouble installing it, and would do so. I saw some of the postings on this topic, which is why I joined, but the sites they refer to, are not specific enough. Does anyone know where to still buy the factory original cruise control? Thanks for any input. Sincerely Jay Andre

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Jay, I have no idea regarding the quality or not of the cruise control unit you refer to. However, if you wanted cruise control, the question begs, why didn't you just purchase a Corolla that had cruise control?

Cruise control for 2013 Corolla

Hi Scott. Thanks for the reply. I wanted to do that, purchase one with cruise control, but the sales guy and the finance manager said it is part of a $1200 package that along with cruise, includes touch screen, navigation, bluetooth etc. Was not able to afford another $1200. In retrospect, I'm feeling like I was hustled with the car and given the "bums rush"! The last new car I purchased, and still had at the time of buying the Corolla, was a 1990 S-10 Blazer with a little over 437,000 miles. My credit was crap, but thanks to the company I work for, they were able to get Toyota to give me 0% financing for 60 months!! So, since I felt like I was being given a great chance, and also, since "beggars can't be choosers", I didn't question anything. Big mistake. Sorry, didn't mean to get so wordy or long winded, but just trying to explain. Again, thanks for your response.

Ted

It's strange the combinations that exist when you buy a car. I have a 2012 S and it came with a radio which has Bluetooth for the phone but nothing else, and cruise control. However, there is a port for USB and AUX. No touch screen, navigation, or anything else. I'm pleased with this minimalist approach since I find all the fancy dashboards very distracting.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Well Jay, it does sound like you got hussled. I've never had a good experience with a car salesperson, ever. They all seem to be concerned about one thing and one thing only; their commission check and not the needs of the customer. When the focus is taken off of the customer and their needs, in my opinion that's not doing the job correctly and I've been in sales for close to 30 years now. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

With a 60 month/5 year car loan, I'd like to alert you to a very large financial danger. With a loan that long, you will get upside down on the car, meaning after about three years the car will depreciate enough to where you owe more on the car than what it is worth, or what you could sell it for. Some folks say they aren't worried about that because they look into their crystal ball and say they aren't going to sell the car. Okay, fine, but the problem that can arise is that if your car is involved in an accident and gets totaled, your insurance company will only give you a check for the depreciated value of the car at the time of the accident, which isn't enough to pay off the car loan. This can leave you having to pay thousands of dollars on the remaining balance of the loan and you have no car. Worse still, many car loans stipulate in the fine print that if and when the car is ever totaled, they can demand you pay off the complete balance of the car loan immediately. This can put you in an extreme financial bind. Contact your insurance company for your car and inquire about getting insurance to cover this possibility, because this scenario can totally wipe out your finances. I've forgotten the exact name of this kind of insurance, but your agent should be able to help you out if you describe what I have above.

As for the cruise control, it's nice to have for long trips and it can also pay for itself in increased fuel economy. I find it rather odd that your Toyota dealer is telling you that you can't get the Toyota cruise control installed because they don't offer it, yet it's installed right at the factory, meaning it's available. I'm guessing that maybe they were trying to pressure you into purchasing that expensive package they quoted you. Try going to another Toyota dealer and make the same inquiry about the cruise control and you may get a completely different answer. :thumbsup:

I also hope they didn't hussle you into buying an extended warranty, as those are very expensive and not a wise purchase in my opinion and that is echoed by financial experts in magazine articles I've read as well. If they hussled you into buying an extended warranty, you have the right to return it and get a refund, (that would pay for the cruise control!).

If after inquiring at another Totota dealership, you still can't obtain a Toyota cruise control unit, consider buying one used and having it installed. The below website lists thousands of junkyard across the country and I'm sure you'd be able to find a used cruise control unit for your Corolla -

http://www.Car-Part.com

If all else fails, a quality aftermarket unit is your only other option. Find a quality unit and not a cheap one that is likely to fail on you.

I hope this helps you out. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

2Toys

Jay, there is a Toyota dealership in Myrtle Beach, SC that has a online parts sales department call them and they can give you the information you are asking for. Sparks trd is there web site and it has the phone number. They sold me the Toyota switch and a wire for my Yaris, it ran about $100. The hardest thing to do was to remove the airbag, and it plugged in the existing wires. Also I had to cut a hole in the plastic cover.

Dear Scott Ted and 2Toys. Thank you all for your invaluable input. I sincerely mean that. And Scott thank you for the detailed explanation. The insurance you speak of is, I believe, called "GAP". I asked Southeast Toyota Finance about that, as it added an extra $800 to the bill. Because my insurance with State Farm is so good, I don't need it. When I asked S E T, if they removed it, would it change my monthly payment, they said no, which I didn't believe, since it is part of the total amount that I'm paying for, and would reduce my payments by $13 per month. I have since found out that, again, I was lied to. And here is the biggest "rub" of all. They misrepresented the car I got. From the "get go", I was told I was getting the "LE", when in fact it's the "L" or base model, even though it does have power windows, door locks remote mirrors and keyless entry. I spoke to the Customer Relations Manager last nite, and I'll know if they are going to put me into an "LE" with everything, as far as payments, 0% interest, etc, stays the same. So, at this point in time, all I can do is "wait and see" what transpires. If nothing can, or will be done, then I guess I will be "stuck" with making $320 a month payments, and having to look at a car, that isn't what I contracted for, for the next 60 months, and hating it each and every day!!! Sorry everyone, didn't mean to rant or get off on a tangent. Just wanted you to know what was going on, since you've been so kind to respond to me. Sincerely Jay Andre

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Jay, I get really riled when people get ripped off and you have been. They've lied to you and defrauded you. This is not only immoral, but illegal. I have a nasty suspicion they want you to wait so your consumer rights will expire and you have no recourse. Don't wait. The more time elapses with you being lied to and defrauded with this deal, the more it plays into their favor and against yours.

After lying to you, defrauding you and abusing you, it's time to take the gloves off! No more Mr.Nice Guy! You have a lot of consumer protection laws on your side, so use them! Immediately contact your local Attorney General's office and file a complaint. Also contact your state's Office of Consumer Affairs and file a complaint with them. Also contact the Better Business Bureau for your area and file a complaint with them as well. As a consumer, you can reign fire and brimstone down on this dishonest, lying car dealership! Do not wait! You are dealing with crooks!

I strongly advise you force them to take this car back and give you a 100% refund.

Financially, you'd be much, much better off purchasing a good used car instead and not have a $320 per month payment ball and chain hanging around your neck for the next five years, especially in this Obama-nation economy that will sooner or later collapse. Get out of debt and keep yourself free and clear as quickly as you can. The rule of thumb is that if you can't pay off a car in three years, you can't afford it and shouldn't be buying it.

Return that car and get your money back! Fight these sons of guns! Don't let them get away with defrauding you! They have committed a crime!

To get the contact information for the agencies I listed that will help you, just Google them for your area.

Fight this Jay! You can beat these sons of guns! Don't let them steal from you! Put as few miles on the car as possible so they can't say that you've put too many miles on it to give you a refund. Don't give them any ammo to use against you. Don't even drive it! Walk! Use a bike, whatever you have to do, but don't put miles on it. These people are crooks!

Last edited:
Good morning Scott. I had no idea they're such organizations. The dealership told me that since the contract was signed, it's a done deal, and I had no recourse. But I also know they're saying that to cover their ass. So I will look into the organizations you mentioned and see what can be done. Thank you so much, Scott. I'll let you know what happens.

Good morning Scott. I had no idea they're such organizations. The dealership told me that since the contract was signed, it's a done deal, and I had no recourse. But I also know they're saying that to cover their ass. So I will look into the organizations you mentioned and see what can be done. Thank you so much, Scott. I'll let you know what happens.
Of course the crooks told you that! Of course they don't want to give you your money back! Stealing, theft and fraud are never a, "done deal"!

Fight back!

Hi Scott. I don't always get to get back right away. But do want you to know I appreciate your responses. Well I've got it set with the dealer to install my cruise on Thursday after work. And that means any time after 2pm for me. I have the correct parts for them to do the job. I order an ECM wire harness this morning, just in case, to go along with the switch and the other wire that was/is necessary. 'Cause earlier this morning I read on another form that if your vin # starts with 2T1 or 1NX, which mine is the 2T1, it may not be wired to the ECM for cruise control. So I'll have the part on Tues. Again, thanks for everything. Have a great rest of the weekend, wherever you may be. Sincerely Jay

It's my pleasure. It's decent of you to say thank you and thank you for saying thank you. lol :)

I thought the Toyota dealership told you the needed parts for the cruise control weren't available?

Sorry Scott, guess I wasn't as clear as I should've been, due to being a brain dead old guy! It's kinda a catch 22 thing. What Toyota did is to discontinue the "cruise control kit" that used to be available, and I believe it was because of some issues that Toyota had with acceleration problems. The parts are still available and companies like Rostra Precision Controls and The Cruise Control Store, have complete kits, that have the OEM parts and are compatible with several models. The kit is number 250-1836. But the best price I could get from them was $145. And you don't need everything in the kit for each specific application. So I just bought the Stalk, and 2 harnesses for under $100. And the dealer told me today that I can bring it in on Thurs. and they will install it...for free. I did, however, have to buy the parts. I was going to do it myself, 'cause according to all the diagrams and photos and explanations on forums like this one, it's pretty easy. The one thing that kept me from doing it was a post where it was explained, that if your VIN starts with 2T1, as does mine, it may not be wired for cruise, and then a separate little wire harness is needed that goes from the cruise control to the ECM under the hood.Otherwise, it's just a "plug and play". So I'll let you know how all goes, either Thurs. afternoon or on Fri. I wanted it done b4 the weekend 'cause I'm going on a "road trip" to Orlando Sat, and don't want to hold the accelerator down for 3 or so hours. Take care and thanks again. Jay

Install the cruise control for free? Why would they do that? A business doesn't stay in business doing things for free. Sounds like they are trying to bribe you so maybe you don't report them to the various consumer protection offices I recommended?

Well the cruise control is in, and it works exactly as intended. It really is extremely simple to do. I was in and out of the dealer in under 45 minutes. Got to the dealer at a little after 2 and was on my way back down I-95 by 2:50! And for those out there wanting to do it, have no fear, you can. "ALL" Toyota's are pre-wired. It is a "plug and play". You don't even have to disconnect the battery. It's not going to set off the air bag. I watched the technician do the job. Anyway, now 2morrow I'm off to Orlando on a "road trip", now that I have cruise. Going to post a new thread about how, after only a month of ownership, I see what a really crap car they are.

Hi Jay

Let me ask you one thing - I have the same problem. Did you need the harness at all? Should I just get the hole cover and cruise switch? Thanks much!

Cruise Control for new 2013 Corolla

You only need the switch, stalk, lever or whatever they want to call it, and the cover. You can also purchase the "pig tail", or harness. Just take it to the dealer and let them install it. Since it's been a year next month, that I've had the car, I don't know if I still have all the paperwork research I did when I was trying to get that done. If memory serves me, that stalk and wire wasn't available at the dealer. Like I said, I can't remember, I may be wrong. I bought mine online, and it is a genuine Toyota part. Mine has worked perfectly. I'll be in touch.