2013 Corolla L - Adding Cruise Control

A few days ago I posted a thread asking for info on how to add cruise control to a Toyota Corolla. Thanks to all who provided help..

After a looking around a little bit I was able to find cross-reference part numbers for several manufacturers who make a stalk switch that will fit every Corolla from 2009 to 2013. I don't know if these numbers will be useful to anyone, but given the grief I had getting any usable information from my dealership, I thought I should share the info.

09-13 Corolla Cruise Control Stalk Switch part #'s - various makers

Toyota OEM Stalk Switch 84632-08021
Toyota OEM Switch Harness 84633-48020

Echlin Ignition Parts Stalk Switch ECH PA1221

Wells Stalk Switch SW8078

Borg Warner BWD CCW1022

Standard CCA1022

Last edited:
A few days ago I posted a thread asking for info on how to add cruise control to a Toyota Corolla. Thanks to all who provided help..

After a looking around a little bit I was able to find cross-reference part numbers for several manufacturers who make a stalk switch that will fit every Corolla from 2009 to 2013. I don't know if these numbers will be useful to anyone, but given the grief I had getting any usable information from my dealership, I thought I should share the info.

Borg Warner BWD CCW1022

Standard CCA1022
Hello,

Which part manufacturer did you end up going with and would you mind sharing the exact procedure ?

thank you

Hi,

Please accept my apologies for the late response. I just saw your question this morning.

I went with the OEM Toyota parts and bought them online. Website and vendor details are listed below:

Toyota Parts Discounters of Central Florida
Orlando, FL, 32810

http://www.partswebsite.com

There is also an excellent set of installation instructions which posted right below your thread by "Pb4usleep"

Good luck!

today is January 15, 2014, I just purchased a 2013 Toyota Corolla basic model, 3 weeks ago, without cruise control.I too would like to install an aftermarket cruise control. From what I've seen on YouTube,it seems to be the straightforward replacement, a number of screws, taking off the airbag, and adding the cruise control stick.(forgot to add drilling the hole on side of the steering wheel housing).I would appreciate any feedback, on parts , degree of difficulty and the length time it took. Thanks

Beware that unless you are a trained automotive technician, disturbing the air bags can cause them to deploy and replacement costs are hundreds, sometimes over $1,000.

Not sure about your mechanical inclination so giving a guess on difficulty and time would be hard.

As you have probably seen on You Tube, you have to remove the airbag unit from the front of the steering wheel.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, MOST IMPORTANTLY, MOST IMPORTANTLY - disconnect the negative battery terminal for at least 5 minutes (..preferrably 10 minutes..) before starting any work on the column. This will power off the airbag sensor and let its capacitor discharge. (..that's what trained automotive technicians do..)

The airbag - and its propellant charge - are completely enclosed in a sealed module, and the front side of this assembly is actually your horn pad. (..a complete replacement module can be purchased from Toyota, NAPA or any reputable auto parts store..)

The airbag unit is attached by two 15mm nuts on each side of the column. These will need to be removed.

You will not be "disturbing" the airbag, only moving the complete module to the top of the column while you install and connect the cruise control switch.

Also, instead of drilling a hole in the column cover for the new switch to come through, a replacement cover with a switch cutout and rubber grommet is about $6 from Toyota.

I went with Toyota OEM parts and got them from this outfit: http://toyotapartsdiscounters.com , but the Rostra aftermarket parts are also a very good quality should you decide to go that route.

Hope your project goes well..

Hi vmckenney

Hope you have solved your problem. I called toyota and they don't want to install that. I understood that you have the same model as I have. I couldn't find the screws at the bottom of my steering. I m not that expert. May be I do not know what I am looking for. I have a very normal steering like the one in the 1st photo below.

http://tinyurl.com/n2txvn6

Please ignore my shortage of knowledge. I want to try doing that myself. How did you open the steering top?

Thanks for your time.

Again, I called few dealers around and they are saying if it doesn't come with cruise control, you can't install it. It has to be prepackaged. Is it true? I have a Corolla L 2013.

And to clarify: do I just need the following:

1. Cruise switch
Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Model Year(s): 2013

2. Hole cover, Gray, W/cruise cntrl right
Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Model Year(s): 2013

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Aaich, you can add it, but if you are unfamiliar with cars, get someone else to do it. Very easy to cause a short while wiring up the cruise switch that can deploy the air bag. It is not something you want to start with to learn about cars.

Hi Aaich

I will stress this several times in this posting -

Please remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes before you begin any work. This will allow the capacitor in the airbag system to fully discharge and prevent the airbag from deploying.

I have listed the link and phone number where I bought my parts below:

http://www.toyotapartsdiscounters.com

(888)-577-2477

I called in my order and talked to Charlie.

You will likely need:

Cruise Control Switch
Wire Harness/Pigtail
2 Screws & Washers to mount the switch to the column
Replacement Column Cover

Due to the fact that the pigtail wire has slotted Molex connectors on both the steering wheel and switch ends, it is nearly impossible to cause a short while connecting the cruise control switch. You would have to break the connectors and manually short the wires. (..please try not to do that..)

Please remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes before you begin. This will allow the capacitor in the airbag system to fully discharge and prevent the airbag from deploying.

I'm not sure why the dealership insists on lying to people, but as I have been told, ALL 2013 Corollas have cruise control pre-built into into the computer. My dealer was trying to charge me $525 to "send my Corolla out" to an aftermarket installer.

Opening the steering column

-Sitting in your drivers seat looking at the steering wheel the screws are behind two covers located at 8:00 on the left side of the wheel and 4:00 on the right side of the wheel. Remember that they are on the back side of the wheel. You will put the original left cover back once you are done installing. The right cover will be replaced with the one you purchase to accommodate the cruise control. You will need a small flat blade screw driver to get these covers off. You might want to cover the tip with electrical tape so that you don't scratch the covers of the steering column.

-Please remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes before you begin any work.

-The screws that fasten the airbag module to the steering wheel are toward the top of each opening. They have Torx heads so you will need a #30 Torx driver. This will be about $5 at any auto parts store.

-Please remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes before you begin any work.

-When loosening the screws remember that they don't have to come all the way out. They just need to come out far enough to take the airbag module off the front of the steering wheel.

-Do not disconnect the wires from the airbag module. Leave both wires connected and set the complete airbag module on top of the center cross-member of the steering wheel while you install the switch and pigtail wire.

-Put the airbag module back and re-tighten the screws.

-Put the two column covers back.

You can also find more detailed installation instructions at this link:

http://www.rostra.com/custom-drive-by-wire-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

Take your time and you will be fine.:yes:

I though you had to move the airbag and horn wiring from the old connector to the new connector that comes with the cruise switch, but that was through thecruisecontrolstore.com, so your kit may be different.

Hi vmckenney

Thank you so much! Its a very elaborate and useful description. I am going to talk to them soon and will order the parts. I hope my first endeavor with car wont go unfinished or messy. Thank you so much for the detailed help! :)

Installed cruise control, but the car ignores it

Hi there. I bought a cruise control from ebay for my car, corolla toyota 2011 diesel automatic (turkish). The cruise control stick came with a connector that fit the empty connector perfectly, and the holes of the stick lined up fine with the screw holes on the steering wheel.

However, the car is ignoring it. No matter what I push, no cruise indicator, no nothing on the dash or in behavior. Any ideas what I need to do?

Many thanks,
tk

Does your diesel have drive-by-wire or cable throttle body? These cruise control kits were designed for drive-by-wire systems in North American bound Corollas. It is possible that the PCM in your car lacks this, and if it is not drive-by-wire, then you need the cruise servo, the cruise control throttle cable, and possibly the cruise bracket and throttle bracket on top of that. And even then ... it may not work depending on the PCM

My bet is that your Corolla does not have a wire running from the back of your connector on the steering wheel to pin #40 on the ECM harness under the hood. This wire is not very difficult to add..

Please check out www.rostra.com and lookup form 5156. Page 6 of this .pdf document has a very good explanation - with pictures - of how to check for this wire, and how to add the wire if it's not there. You can also call their support number, as they are always very helpful and friendly.

For anyone interested, the Toyota OEM part number for the dark gray right-side steering wheel hole cover for cars with cruise control is 45186-12010-BO. That's what was on my part.

Hi vmckenney

Long time, NO see! Hope you are doing great and still active. I did not install the switch last year. :( Now I need to install it. I have everything in place, I would just ask you one question - the pigtail wire, does it have to be placed as it is shown in the Rostra manual? Or should it be as straightforward as it is shown in the following video at 3:05 minute?

Thanks again for your help. :)

Best
AAich

Hi Aaich

I will stress this several times in this posting -

Please remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes before you begin any work. This will allow the capacitor in the airbag system to fully discharge and prevent the airbag from deploying.

I have listed the link and phone number where I bought my parts below:

http://www.toyotapartsdiscounters.com

(888)-577-2477

I called in my order and talked to Charlie.

You will likely need:

Cruise Control Switch
Wire Harness/Pigtail
2 Screws & Washers to mount the switch to the column
Replacement Column Cover

Due to the fact that the pigtail wire has slotted Molex connectors on both the steering wheel and switch ends, it is nearly impossible to cause a short while connecting the cruise control switch. You would have to break the connectors and manually short the wires. (..please try not to do that..)

Please remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes before you begin. This will allow the capacitor in the airbag system to fully discharge and prevent the airbag from deploying.

I'm not sure why the dealership insists on lying to people, but as I have been told, ALL 2013 Corollas have cruise control pre-built into into the computer. My dealer was trying to charge me $525 to "send my Corolla out" to an aftermarket installer.

Opening the steering column

-Sitting in your drivers seat looking at the steering wheel the screws are behind two covers located at 8:00 on the left side of the wheel and 4:00 on the right side of the wheel. Remember that they are on the back side of the wheel. You will put the original left cover back once you are done installing. The right cover will be replaced with the one you purchase to accommodate the cruise control. You will need a small flat blade screw driver to get these covers off. You might want to cover the tip with electrical tape so that you don't scratch the covers of the steering column.

-The screws that fasten the airbag module to the steering wheel are toward the top of each opening. They have Torx heads so you will need a #30 Torx driver. This will be about $5 at any auto parts store.

-When loosening the screws remember that they don't have to come all the way out. They just need to come out far enough to take the airbag module off the front of the steering wheel.

-Do not disconnect the wires from the airbag module. Leave both wires connected and set the complete airbag module on top of the center cross-member of the steering wheel while you install the switch and pigtail wire.

-Put the airbag module back and re-tighten the screws.

-Put the two column covers back.

You can also find more detailed installation instructions at this link:

http://www.rostra.com/custom-drive-by-wire-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

Take your time and you will be fine.:yes:

Borg Warner BWD CCW1022

Standard CCA1022

I just purchased a 2013 Toyota Corolla, and it was built totally without any cruise control. Will this still work. And are aftermarket cruise control safe and reliable. The dealership I bought the car from would not put it in and would not suggest a place to do it. Why??

today is January 15, 2014, I just purchased a 2013 Toyota Corolla basic model, 3 weeks ago, without cruise control.I too would like to install an aftermarket cruise control. From what I've seen on YouTube,it seems to be the straightforward replacement, a number of screws, taking off the airbag, and adding the cruise control stick.(forgot to add drilling the hole on side of the steering wheel housing).I would appreciate any feedback, on parts , degree of difficulty and the length time it took. Thanks
I too have a 2013 Toyota Corolla which never had cruise control. Did this work for you?
is it safe and reliable?

Hello, I have been reading a lot of info on the net regarding the installation of CC on Corolla's. I own a 2013 model Corolla Altis ZRE-142R which has the1.8 2ZR-FBE ( up to E85 Fuel ) engine and trim level G with the 7 speed Auto, Lovely car but I cant for the life of me get the Cruise Control to work. I have a technical background and have fully loop tested my install back to pin 40 on the ECU with all the correct resistance readings. Once I press the button to enable it the engine light comes on and the engine idle drops very low to stall. The ECU Model code is a real Oddball, 89661-0ZD20, I can not find any info on this model anywhere, Pin 40 on the ECU exists but has no voltage on it when car is running, there was no wiring installed and the dash does not even have the light installed and blanked.
I went to Toyota to buy a new cover panel for the steering wheel stalk, one of the Thai mechanics shook his head and said " can not " in Thai.
Does this function exist in this ECU or has it somehow been locked out, If so can it be re-enabled?
Is there another ECU that will fit this older wide body shape with the updated engine and auto that gives me what I need?
Any help would be much appreciated as we travel a fair distance to university every weekend on the freeway.

Kind Regards Trevor

I drive a 2013 Corolla with a manual transmission. I bought a $15 CC stalk on Amazon. I added the horn wire to the CC connector since both connect in the same plug. I put everything back together and now I have cruise control. I’m speaking for American corollas but it seems they’re all wired for cruise control.