2013 Corolla roof paint delaminating

I have a 2013 corolla with a paint delamination issue. It started out as a small spot a few weeks ago. I took it to a Toyota collision center, and they said that the roof had been replaced and repainted, and they wanted $1500 to replace it. That sounded fishy, so I took it to an independent paint shop, and he offered to fix it (for much less than Toyota), but said that first I should talk to Toyota because the paint was original. I am now trying to get someone at Toyota to call me back - I am a few months out of their 60 month corrosion/rust warranty. Has anyone had similar issues, and had any luck getting Toyota to take care of it?

Attachments

well, odd that the Carfax did not report anything and Toyota says the roof was replaced. Did Toyota say anything else replaced? If not it seems odd only the roof was replaced and nothing else.

That looks like a crappy paint job, and as usual, Toyota is trying to sidestep responsibility. Fords in the late 60's had a huge problem with their light color blue paint, peeled off the same way as it appears in your photo.

Anybody remember that water based paint on GM cars of the late '70s early '80s. I blew huge chunks of paint off a new 1978 Olds Calais in a car wash. GM gave me a hard time until my lawyer called them. They repainted the whole car In lacquer (my demand) and it held up great for me and the second owner.

A lot of American cars tried to get by without using a primer coat back in the 80's and it peeled like crazy. I would say the first thing would be to really figure out of the roof was replaced. Have them show you why they think this is the case as the weld marks could be seen on the inside behind the trim. If it was replaced at a Toyota dealer the parts order could be looked up by the Vin#. Worst case would be that you have to get the roof repainted. A quality job would run around $1k I would guess.

Thanks Supercharged for stirring my memory. I forgot all about the no primer cars. My ex had a new '74 Mustang and to save a few bucks Ford left the primer off her car. She had paint problems and Ford wouldn't stand by it. They told her it was the brand of car wax she was using. She said her next car was a Japanese Datsun (Nissan) and never looked back. American car companies put themselves on hard times. Loyalty only goes so far when money is involves

My folks had a Chrysler that had the same issue. It was the last American car my family ever bought due to many years of issues and poor quality. My folks owned several Datsuns before buying Toyotas in the 80's. I started the trend buying my 1982 Tercel. After my grandpa gave me his 1969 Corolla that had over 400k miles when a drunk driver hit me and totaled it. It was such a great car and that's why I bought the 82 Tercel. I loved my Tercel!

Having it repainted today by a recommended independent shop with good online reviews for a lot cheaper than Toyota quoted. Neither the local dealer nor Toyota USA would budge - the dealer said it was previously replaced, and Toyota said it was out of warranty even if it was a factory issue. Didn't have this issue on my Sienna or Venza. Kinda disappointed in Toyota customer service on this one.

Having it repainted today by a recommended independent shop with good online reviews for a lot cheaper than Toyota quoted. Neither the local dealer nor Toyota USA would budge - the dealer said it was previously replaced, and Toyota said it was out of warranty even if it was a factory issue. Didn't have this issue on my Sienna or Venza. Kinda disappointed in Toyota customer service on this one.

You'll always be putting money into a house or a car. I hope it works out and you get many years out of it. As soon as any warranty is expired I always go independent. It saves a lot of money and they care if their customers are happy, or so they pretend. Dealerships are nothing but huge profit centers. They make nothing on a new car. Its used cars and service departments that makes them rich..

That sucks, am not entirely surprised however, the paint quality(toughness, resilience) is lousy on my 2009.
I suppose the paint quality of 70s Volkswagens will never return...

So did you find out if the roof has really been replaced or not? If it has been that would answer a lot of questions!

That sucks, am not entirely surprised however, the paint quality(toughness, resilience) is lousy on my 2009.
I suppose the paint quality of 70s Volkswagens will never return...
Nope, because all paint now is water based due to air quality issues with oil based paints that were thicker and tougher.