2013 Corolla tranny fluid questions (automatic)

Anybody change trans fluid on a cool-to-warm transmission and refill NOT using a scan tool for those allegedly crucial 104 degree trans temps?

I’m thinking a slight overfill on a cooler trans won’t hurt. I’ve run other transmissions a little above full line w/out issue.

Where can I disconnect the trans fluid line to also flush the torque converter? Somewhere on radiator?

I’ve heard conflicting info on trans filter. Freakin dealer told me there is none, yet Rock Auto has lists them.

This year/model having a cartridge oil filter and no dipstick is the stupidest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Dealer’s greed I suppose.

Hi Gregory,

I performed the flush on my car it is 2008. Here in the middle east this model came in advance.

The flush is pretty simple.Follow the below procedure:
1. First you need to locate that there are two line connected to the radiator cooler. The rule of thumb is that the line which is connected at the bottom of the radiator cooler is always a return line. you need to track this down and you will see that it is going to transmission on top of the fan. There you will see a connection of metal pipe and rubber hose.
2. Remove the hose and and add small piece of hose with a container to collect the used fluid.(You need to start the car in order the liquid to come out.)
3. First start the car and remove 1 liter and then stop the car.
4. Add exactly 1 liter through dipstick hole and repeat step 3.
5. Repeat step 1 and 2 for 6~8 times for complete flush.
6. Install back the return hose.
7. Now drive the car for 15~20 mins, shift through all gear (L,2,3,D,N,R & P) and park the car on level surface. Check the fluid level while engine running for hot marks. Do not check at cold as it will not give you correct reading.
8. If fluid is less than add some more. Add very little only like 200 ml at a time and measure as per step 7.
9. If it is overfill than dont worry. remove the fluid as per step 3 and measure as per step 7.

Hope it helps.

Hi Gregory,

I performed the flush on my car it is 2008. Here in the middle east this model came in advance.

The flush is pretty simple.Follow the below procedure:
1. First you need to locate that there are two line connected to the radiator cooler. The rule of thumb is that the line which is connected at the bottom of the radiator cooler is always a return line. you need to track this down and you will see that it is going to transmission on top of the fan. There you will see a connection of metal pipe and rubber hose.
2. Remove the hose and and add small piece of hose with a container to collect the used fluid.(You need to start the car in order the liquid to come out.)
3. First start the car and remove 1 liter and then stop the car.
4. Add exactly 1 liter through dipstick hole and repeat step 3.
5. Repeat step 1 and 2 for 6~8 times for complete flush.
6. Install back the return hose.
7. Now drive the car for 15~20 mins, shift through all gear (L,2,3,D,N,R & P) and park the car on level surface. Check the fluid level while engine running for hot marks. Do not check at cold as it will not give you correct reading.
8. If fluid is less than add some more. Add very little only like 200 ml at a time and measure as per step 7.
9. If it is overfill than dont worry. remove the fluid as per step 3 and measure as per step 7.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for your detailed reply.

Anybody change trans fluid on a cool-to-warm transmission and refill NOT using a scan tool for those allegedly crucial 104 degree trans temps?

I’m thinking a slight overfill on a cooler trans won’t hurt. I’ve run other transmissions a little above full line w/out issue.

Where can I disconnect the trans fluid line to also flush the torque converter? Somewhere on radiator?

I’ve heard conflicting info on trans filter. Freakin dealer told me there is none, yet Rock Auto has lists them.

This year/model having a cartridge oil filter and no dipstick is the stupidest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Dealer’s greed I suppose.
Your car does have a mech filter in the transmission. Just like it’s been done for decades. Seems dealers won’t try to replace and flat out like to customers saying it’s a sealed transmission.

Your car does have a mech filter in the transmission. Just like it’s been done for decades. Seems dealers won’t try to replace and flat out like to customers saying it’s a sealed transmission.
It’s funny you mention that because I’ve seen many posts denying that we have a filter in this vehicle yet on websites I am able to find a replacement transmission fluid filter for this particular vehicle.