2013 Toyota Corolla LE 1.8 AC issues

Syrel

So, I've been searching everywhere online and can't really find a solid answer. My AC has been blowing warm air (never cool air) for about a year or so now. I took it to the dealer to get it recharged and check for leaks. They charged it, found no leaks, and came back and said that I needed to replace the compressor and the condenser to get cool air again, for a cool $1200.

It's a dealer, so I didn't immediately believe them. The 2013 AC compressor is clutchless.

The dealer indicated that 2013 was the first year Toyota decided to use clutchless ac compressors, and it didn't go very well. The issue with mine, according to the dealer, was some valve of some kind inside the compressor (that wasn't IN the compressor in older models) and if it gets gunked up, you just have to replace the entire compressor because it's "built in". I'm trying to find specifications of my certain compressor but i can't find it anywhere online. Just a bunch of jank.

So the lights on the controls come on as normal, the blower works as normal, the fuses/relays are working as intended (to the best of my knowledge) and the car without the AC or blower on idles at around 900 RPM. Turning the fan on with AC engaged makes the RPM lower by about 100 or so, and stays there consistently, no matter if I change the temperature or fan speed (greatest impact on RPM is at max fan speed, but that's expected i'm guessing).

So it seems like it's engaging like it should, I know the lines are good and leak free, I know i'm charged on freon... So what would be the most cost effective solution?

As far as I can tell, the dealer probably wasn't lying with not having servicable parts inside the compressor, but I also know that dealers love to nickle and dime you wherever possible. Is it possible there's an expansion/orfice tube somewhere else in the system that could be blocking the cooling of air?

When I turn on the car the air is about room temperature, it doesn't cool at all. After running the car about 10-15 minutes, the air blows slightly warmer (which I expect is engine heat affecting the blown air temp).

What are my possible options, considering that my compressor itself doesn't seem to be bad?

If there's no leak. I think the condenser should be good no need to change it. you can buy or rent a AC gauges to check the pressure.if the pressure is not normal the best situation is your expansion valve is broken. the worst will be the compressor is broken.
To check other parts in your Hvac system. you can buy a cheap J2534 diagnoistic cable on ebay or amazon and use the Techstream to check your data list of you Ac module.
using this you will find out if you pressure sensor, your ambient temperature sensor, evaporator temperature sensor is functioning.
you can also use it to check your regulator control current. if your compressor kick on. the current will bigger than 0. if the current is 0 means your compress is not kick on even if the control panel lights is on as normal
hopefully this can help.

Last edited:
I would take it to a reliable, independent shop. Have the to evacuate the entire system, pull a vacuum and make sure there is no leaks. Then refill to spec. See how that goes. May have air trapped in the system. Sometimes draining and refilling solves the problem

I agree on an independent shop. Be sure it's reliable and they know AC. It might need a compressor, but I think $1200 is a bit much. A reputable shop may charge less if it is in fact a compressor issue. There will of course likely be a charge to diagnose for you but if it turns out that all it needs is to be completely evacuated checked and then refilled properly, well, $200 or so is better than $1200.