2014 Buying - Anything reliability wise to look for?

I know these are very reliable cars, but is there anything in particular to check for or look for in terms of reliability on one with 30Kmiles or so? Is the CVT reliable? Anything else I should check for wear/issues?
Thanks,

Corolla are very reliable. 11th generation (2014) looks different, has a longer wheel base and a more spacious interior but beside that and the CVT, underneath it's really the same as the 10h gen.

Some remains afraid of CVTs, because a lot of manufacturers screwed their first generations - and some are still on the road... - but it's the past.
Toyota have been using CVTs from Aisin for 16 years and the particular unit in Corolla for 3 years worldwide before bringing it to US 3 years ago without any particular trend/surge in complaints.

On forums, you'll sure find some odd cases, but no more than for the manual or 4AT (which is still available on the stripped L model).
They even have fake shift points to please the ears of those fearing the "drone" effect (maintaining rpm instead of constant up/down variation).

Basically, If you look on Consumer report or True Delta, there really is no dark point in terms of reliability. Of course, you never know how a particular used car has been maintained and driven !
Maybe check the headlights. The LED headlights are awesome and have a reputation to last "forever" but they cost an arm to replace

Last edited:
Thanks... assuming the headlights are working, is there any way to judge "wear"? Or are they either working or not?

On the 2014 vs 2013 generation... does the longer wheel base make a big difference interior wise?

Here's my 2 cents.....Wife has a 2004 LE. It is much more cramped for me 6ft tall guy compared to my 2015 which is stretched, plus I like the tele steering wheel. My wife thinks my S+ seats are too firm. LE likely softer. My S+ handles well with the 17" 45 series alloy rims....BUT it eats tires. If you're looking for economy, the LE with a standard tire would be a better choice.

The 2014 uses 0w-20 weight synthetic oil which costs more and must use for keeping warranty. I have the cvt tranny. Took a little while to get used to it as engine rpms don't climb linear. It really helps on acceleration and mpg. Otherwise the 4 speed auto is fine also and easy to service. The 11th gen seems sensitive to tire choice but my 2004 9th gen is likewise. Find a happy tire and stick with it! I personally do not care for the climate control and would take the manual knob setup had it been offered on the S+ but it is/was not offered.

If you care about interior rattles, check out the separate thread on that subject.

I see about 50% S+ compared to LE in central Florida.

Best wishes finding a keeper!

The headlights either work or not, but also check the assembly for cracks, moist, etc.
Corolla comes with a variety of tires depending on models (Hankook, Michelin, Continental, Firestone). Never had a good noise and longevity experience with Firestone on other cars.
Oh ! And rattles ! Yes, some owners report a bunch of them, mainly dash. Without much success from visit to the dealer.
Mine sometime has ones when cabin temperatures change from very cold to warm and vice versa.

Question on the "tire eating" with the 215-45-17's: Do you drive aggressively? This would be for for a really tame driver, but long tire life would be a good thing if we could get it (noting the relationship to tire quality too). Also, steel wheels would be a feature for this driver too. I'll have to drive another LE - maybe the one I test drove was in was sub-standard in some way... it was seriously soft and not really comfortable to drive compared to the S+ and a Camry I drove.

Question on the "tire eating" with the 215-45-17's: Do you drive aggressively? This would be for for a really tame driver, but long tire life would be a good thing if we could get it (noting the relationship to tire quality too). Also, steel wheels would be a feature for this driver too. I'll have to drive another LE - maybe the one I test drove was in was sub-standard in some way... it was seriously soft and not really comfortable to drive compared to the S+ and a Camry I drove.
Do I drive aggressively? Depends on the beholder...but no, not really, just a lot of fast miles on really hot scorching asphalt. I got 17k on oem Firestone 740, might get 15k on conti true contact standard touring tire rated for 90k. I know my tire tech. This is not from punishment or abuse. Just real world results with 36 psi and careful rotations I perform myself. Btw, if you follow the owners manual Front to Rear rotation advice, you'll have a problem since there are 3 distinct wear rates on both my corollas...I rotate per measured tread depth.

Not to belabor this, but since you're a tire guy... what kind of wear ratings on those Conti's? V rated or higher speed? My experience with Conti's is usually good, although I had a set of Conti DWS Extreme a few years back that wore fast. But 15-17K is nothing. Might be worth a set of Michelins... they tend to wear long-ish.

I'm not a tire guy, just learned a lot over the years. The conti are V rated. The low profile 45 series seems to be the culprit as my other Corolla 2004 with 195/65R15 does much better - not great but better. I see 35-45k
on its tires with me driving it. Bear in mind this is a combo of personal + delivery and courier miles but still, I would not expect to see such a dent in longevity especially since I pay close attention to my 45 series inflation and rotation.

Do I drive aggressively? Depends on the beholder...but no, not really, just a lot of fast miles on really hot scorching asphalt. I got 17k on oem Firestone 740, might get 15k on conti true contact standard touring tire rated for 90k. I know my tire tech. This is not from punishment or abuse. Just real world results with 36 psi and careful rotations I perform myself. Btw, if you follow the owners manual Front to Rear rotation advice, you'll have a problem since there are 3 distinct wear rates on both my corollas...I rotate per measured tread depth.
17K is also about what I got form Firestones on a previous car... No experience with Continental but current Corolla has Hankook seems to be holding pretty well. Is 36 the recommended PSI for your model ? Mine says 32.

17K is also about what I got form Firestones on a previous car... No experience with Continental but current Corolla has Hankook seems to be holding pretty well. Is 36 the recommended PSI for your model ? Mine says 32.
I found running in 80+ degree temps over the years that higher pressure seems to do well to mitigate heat effects. Tire heat failure is a big deal in my neck of the woods. My tires spend their life pretty much at 80+. That is air temp, not pavement temp which is significantly higher. 32 is advised. I usually run 36-40 in all my vehicles. I softened to 36 for the contis as they ride rather firm. Think daily 150 mile interstate runs x 2 at 85mph in 94F with clear skies/sun beating down. It's pretty brutal...