2014 Corolla - Issues With Smart-Key Locking/Unlocking?

Hello All,

I purchased a new 2014 Corolla with the convenience package a few months ago. Occasionally I will run into an issue with the smart key.

When I exit the vehicle I will lock it with the door handle button, typically It beeps and the car locks - however sometimes it wont beep and it will lock (this is the start of the problem)

When I wish to unlock the car the door handle will not automatically unlock, okay sure, I can use the remote. Nope the remote won't unlock the front drivers door, the only way for me to get in is the either take the key out or climb through another door.

Something to note: When you walk up to the corolla with the smart key it should turn inside lights on - it also does not do this when the issue 'begins'

After I get in, the car starts fine and everything returns to normal. Any insight?

Hello All,

I purchased a new 2014 Corolla with the convenience package a few months ago. Occasionally I will run into an issue with the smart key.

When I exit the vehicle I will lock it with the door handle button, typically It beeps and the car locks - however sometimes it wont beep and it will lock (this is the start of the problem)

When I wish to unlock the car the door handle will not automatically unlock, okay sure, I can use the remote. Nope the remote won't unlock the front drivers door, the only way for me to get in is the either take the key out or climb through another door.

Something to note: When you walk up to the corolla with the smart key it should turn inside lights on - it also does not do this when the issue 'begins'

After I get in, the car starts fine and everything returns to normal. Any insight?
Do you have any other smart keys or anything magnetic on your key ring that could be interfering. I have a magnetic door key for my job and it wreaks havoc with both my garage door opener and it also did weird things with my 13 Civic remote key. It seems to play nice with my corolla remote key but I don't have the smart key. If you don't have anything that might cause interference, it's definitely a dealer visit.

I just purchased my used 2014 Corolla S in August. I just started having the issue of the key not locking or unlocking the car. Other than that issue, I really like the car.

There are also custom settings in the computer screen General forgot where, but you can set it to unlock only driver door by placing your hand on handle or all doors at the same time, and I think there are some other items as well. You can also reset it to default. Worth a try. I've set mine up to open all doors not just driver which is a default factory setting.