2014 Corolla Radio Reception is Horrible

Hi Folks, Both my son and I (long story) have brand new 2014 Toyota Corolla Sport Crush Blue cars. I have the Plus and my son lucked out with the Premium package. We are both having the exact same problem with FM radio reception. Most of the time there is static and frequently it's so bad that another station cuts over and there are two stations half working, horrible. I find when I approach a set of traffic lights its worse (RF interference with emergency vehicle light color change system?). Last week I was in popular New Hampshire seaside resort town and I could not tune in a single FM station. I called our Toyota dealers service department and they said its the first they've heard of the issue which is surprising because Google sure has many hits on the same issue with many year Corollas. My son loves his car (he was driving my old 2000 Saab 95 Aero w/out AC, 250K miles and he has the Premium package so has XM) I on the other hand am missing my 2008 Saab 95 loaded sedan!!!!
What are my options guys???
Thanks

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup1::clap::thumbup::):party::balloon::rockon:

Have you taken it back to your Toyota dealer for a warranty claim on the issue? Maybe you have defective radio's. Don't let the dealer tell you that not being able to receive any FM stations is, "normal". lol That's dealer-speak for, "We can't figure it out, so go away".

My radio seems alright with reception, but I mainly use XM and Bluetooth. I know the FM is an in-glass antenna, so probably not as effective as an antenna that sticks out of the fender or the roof.

YOUR options are pretty good.

First take it back to the dealer. If they say it is normal - walk to the new car section and get a salesman to show you some of the other Corolla's. If they all have similar reception to yours, maybe it is normal. If they all have better reception - perhaps the antenna is not getting power or the connection to the radio is disconnected. Should be fixed under warranty.

If it really is "normal", Pioneer has great FM reception and it is an easy swap in the Corolla, but you will lose the voice commands - I am planning to upgrade the radio if I get a Corolla anyway, though.

For you son - the options are a bit more limited b/c to upgrade the radio, he would have to replace the navigation system and XM tuner - not really more difficult, but a lot more expensive - both in terms of the new hardware and in terms of what he is giving up.

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
I don't live in an area where radio coverage is overlapping like you describe. Your other cars didn't have similar issues at all? The reception in our new Corolla is just fine, it picks up all the same channels as any other car. I would go to your Toyota dealership and if they say its normal, tell them to show you on the other cars on the lot. I don't think it's normal though, unless you have a really high number of radio stations in your area.

Thanks for the Replies

Hi All, Thanks for all the feedback. I've lived/worked in the area for ever and never experienced an FM reception issue like I'm having in the 2014 Corolla. I googled the issue and there does seem to be many similar complaints. I'm thinking its normal for the 2014 Corolla given the number of complaints google found and that when I asked my son how is radio was he replied "funny you ask Dad because this morning the reception was horrible". My son has been using XM and bluetooth itunes so not using the stereo as much as me. My previous car 2008 Saab 95 had kick ass reception as does my wife's new Lincoln MKX. I'm not into swapping out the hardware just yet. I'll start with the dealer but have a feeling their based on their initial response that they never heard of the issue before is because its "normal" and Toyota has no solution.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
It may be common for the 2014 Toyota Corolla, but to say that poor radio reception is, "normal", I don't think is accurate. That would be tantamount to saying that since an engine in a given car was very prone to failure that it's, "normal". :blink:

Make Toyota fix the problem under warranty. It is not, "normal", for an FM radio not to function properly! :thumbsup: