2014 Corolla S - Lighting, Speaker upgrade and Dynamat questions?

Black64

So I just picked up a used 2014 Corolla S in slate metallic with only 15K miles on it. Been doing quite a number of upgrades to it already on the weekends. I live in Orlando, FL which is quite hot most of the year so I have focused on upgrades to stay cool. I built a custom sunshade using Reflectix and cardboard for the rear window that doesn't need to be removed while drivng (huge decrease in heat in the car, when used with a front sunshade), I replaced all lights with LEDs and did a LED glow under the foot wells.

I was curious though has anyone upgraded there stock speakers yet? (4 speaker system, not JBL) Which brand should I get? I know the sizes are 6.5 front and 6x9 rear, but you will need adapters to mount them, this that correct?

And I figured while I have the door panels out, why not install some DynaMatt, is it worth it to install on the Corolla? Has anyone done any insulation for the roof, I am looking to keep this cooler as well?

In addtion I want to do LED turn signals (front and rear) and brake lights but I keep hearing about socket issues, can anyone link me to some LED bulbs that will work?

Thanks!

Black64

How did u install the LEDs under the dash?
Also for led turn signals u have to have resistors so they don't hyper flash.
There are not to difficult, i got them off ebay (type "LEDGlow") You can fish the wires under the dash and center console very easily. The hardest part was wiring them in. Don't forgot to buy there expandable circuit!

JoshTRD

So I just picked up a used 2014 Corolla S in slate metallic with only 15K miles on it. Been doing quite a number of upgrades to it already on the weekends. I live in Orlando, FL which is quite hot most of the year so I have focused on upgrades to stay cool. I built a custom sunshade using Reflectix and cardboard for the rear window that doesn't need to be removed while drivng (huge decrease in heat in the car, when used with a front sunshade), I replaced all lights with LEDs and did a LED glow under the foot wells.

I was curious though has anyone upgraded there stock speakers yet? (4 speaker system, not JBL) Which brand should I get? I know the sizes are 6.5 front and 6x9 rear, but you will need adapters to mount them, this that correct?

And I figured while I have the door panels out, why not install some DynaMatt, is it worth it to install on the Corolla? Has anyone done any insulation for the roof, I am looking to keep this cooler as well?

In addtion I want to do LED turn signals (front and rear) and brake lights but I keep hearing about socket issues, can anyone link me to some LED bulbs that will work?

Thanks!

Lucky for you i have the answer to all these questions... yes i have installed speakers in my car and all on my own.... for the two front door speakers you can't unscrew the factory speaker because the mount for it is riveted into the door..to solve that i contacted my local stereo shop and they said to cut out all the guts of the speaker and leave the mount...(literally taking a kitchen knife and cutting out the cone of it and the plastic basket that holds the magnet)...than you simply screw the new speaker into the original mount and no need to wire into the harness because the mount already has a positive and negative connection for that, so just solder or even tape(if you don't have a solder) the connections together.. for the back two speakers is extremely easy, just remove the rear deck(there should be videos on youtube on how to) and unlike the front speakers you can unscrew the back ones...and simply drop in your new 6x9 speakers and use the provided wiring and plug them in to the existing harness...( I highly recommend going to a stereo shop for buying speakers because Best buy brands suck and plus stereo shops offer more efficient speakers, meaning that if you don't plan to amp your speakers right away, they still will sound good).......And finally we come to the Dynomat...DONT BUY THIS....i bought 100$ worth and it was A LOT dynomat only works if your whole car is covered in it... i swear to you my whole entire trunk is lined with this stuff and there is no sound difference at all, i still here rattling after hours of strategically trying to place it in the best spot...moral of the story is that dynomat is only effective if your entire car is covered in it... at least that was my experience as a amateur car enthusiast....so to the average guy i wouldn't recommend dynomat as a game changer to anyone who's not a professional.

Black64

Lucky for you i have the answer to all these questions... yes i have installed speakers in my car and all on my own.... for the two front door speakers you can't unscrew the factory speaker because the mount for it is riveted into the door..to solve that i contacted my local stereo shop and they said to cut out all the guts of the speaker and leave the mount...(literally taking a kitchen knife and cutting out the cone of it and the plastic basket that holds the magnet)...than you simply screw the new speaker into the original mount and no need to wire into the harness because the mount already has a positive and negative connection for that, so just solder or even tape(if you don't have a solder) the connections together.. for the back two speakers is extremely easy, just remove the rear deck(there should be videos on youtube on how to) and unlike the front speakers you can unscrew the back ones...and simply drop in your new 6x9 speakers and use the provided wiring and plug them in to the existing harness...( I highly recommend going to a stereo shop for buying speakers because Best buy brands suck and plus stereo shops offer more efficient speakers, meaning that if you don't plan to amp your speakers right away, they still will sound good).......And finally we come to the Dynomat...DONT BUY THIS....i bought 100$ worth and it was A LOT dynomat only works if your whole car is covered in it... i swear to you my whole entire trunk is lined with this stuff and there is no sound difference at all, i still here rattling after hours of strategically trying to place it in the best spot...moral of the story is that dynomat is only effective if your entire car is covered in it... at least that was my experience as a amateur car enthusiast....so to the average guy i wouldn't recommend dynomat as a game changer to anyone who's not a professional.

Awesome, thanks josh! Did you use any dynomat in the doors? Wouldn't that be the best place for it, since I am not worried about the trunk?

And what about the tweeter in the upper door? Did you replace that was well?
the tweeters no i did not replace...they are still stock.... and honestly the only thing i woulds say dynomat is good for is to put it between the speaker and the metal of the door...other than that don't try to line ur doors or trunk with it, won't work....

the tweeters no i did not replace...they are still stock.... and honestly the only thing i woulds say dynomat is good for is to put it between the speaker and the metal of the door...other than that don't try to line ur doors or trunk with it, won't work....
Awesome, thanks for your help Josh, I am going to be picking up some Polk speakers off eBay ($160ish for the 4) and I just bought the LED kit Scott has on his dash.

This is what I am getting from Alpine Alpine Type-S Series Component Speaker System - SPS-610C. It comes with the tweeter in the top part of the door as well.

Hey man how did you install the resistors for the front turn signals. I want to switch mine but idk which one of the three wires is the turn signal one. Cause I know I have to use that one and ground in parallel with the resistor. And where did you mount them ?

Loving the look man! I just replaced my map and some lights with some led's waiting to get some strips for under the dash. Was the license plate lights difficult to do?
No very easy actually, you can search for a video on youtube, took me less than 5 minutes to change them out. They sell full LED conversion kits on ebay for around 8 bucks, well worth the cost.

What do you think of the polk speakers? Do you recommend them? and did you ever end up getting tweeters?
I love them, they sound 100x times better then the stock speakers! However I had my passenger side door one die on me, which I need to replace soon, it may be also just be a wire came lose. And I never did get the tweeters, just haven't had time.