2014 Corolla Window Fog / Condensation

Had the car since last October.

Today, I drove my car for a good portion of the day. Picked up a friend, we went to lunch and the arcade, we then drove to the board game store, and then I dropped my friend off. So I was driving over 3 hours total today. Not all at once.

Not sure the temperature during the day, but when I dropped my friend off at home after midnight it was about 80.

I drove from my friends house and my windows were so fogged up I couldn't see. Every window except rear. This is the first time it's happened to me (in the Corolla).

I opened the windows with no luck. I turned on the AC to it's coolest setting with no luck.. but then I switched from vents to make it come out top of dashboard. This worked. Cleared up the window, except one small patch was wet and foggy on the outside. I could use the windshield wiper, but the wet / foggy section came right back. Happened the whole hour ride home.

Is there anything I can do or should have done differently or is this normal?

This post:

http://priuschat.com/threads/foggy-windshield-outside-not-inside-help-hazard.68547/

someone says Toyota climate control is prone to this issue. I have the 7 year Toyota Platinum Care warranty if I ever needed to take it in.

I am guessing humidity was high tonight, but at one point (I don't remember when during the whole ordeal) I did try the defroster. Didn't help.

The only reason I get worried is because around 12 years ago or so I had a Chevy Lumina. It had some issue one time where something broke and it caused the windows to instantly fog up. Like something broke, thus venting or leaking in the car. I had to physically hang my head out the window to see to get my way home. I forget what the problem was since I'm not a mechanic, but it did get fixed. Only other time I had this issue.

If there is a lot of humidity in the car (any car, not just Toyota), it will condense on a cold windshield. So max AC won't help. It's the opposite.
If the humidity source is in the car, you want the "recirculate" button off to get dryer air from outside. Vice versa if the humidity comes from outside (which is what suggest the patch of outside condensation).
In any event that's what the "defrost" function is for : it works with AC to dry the air and hotter air to equilibrate the windshield temperature. Generally works fast, so you won't get that uncomfortable while it does its thing.
Now since you say "defrost" didn't work, then maybe you shoud have your system checked.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
This by far to me is the Worst car ever Defrosters when it rains and 100% humidity. Do not take a shower , get a hot cup of coffee etc, it will fog up fast

got some Rain X I do that time over time does it help. not if I got to keep replying when they say it is supposed to work for a period of X amount of months Lol

first off... opening up the vent to the outside air
does little to assist drying of the air inside the cabin.
Close the vent and run the AC in the defrost mode or bi-mode
to help with drying out the interior/windows.
The AC feeds dry air into the cabin.
An open vent means the outside air/humidity is let inside the cabin.
And the cabin will not dry out.

If you have kids or someone that may have spilt their drink, peed, etc.
or possibly left moist beach towels or what not inside the vehicle...
That moisture can permeate the interior and the windows will not dry promptly
even if the vents are closed and the AC is running.

Another thing to investigate...
is the possibility of radiator fluid leaking inside the interior.
So pull back the carpet on the front passenger foot well...
and be sure there is no trapped fluid or moisture under that.

Of course it is usually a foul/acrid smell associated with that, if it were leaking
and would likely be noticed by most users.

Oh and last but not least... stop breathing (JK)
The moisture in your breath as well your occupants
can fog up the windows too.

So tell everyone to stop breathing (talking) (Lol good luck with that)
until the windows have had the opportunity to dry fully.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
al ot said

defrosters force ac on the demudifyer is what takes the moisture out, turn the climate heat up won't hurt. Moisture because you are soaked. won't hurt either.

taking a towel wiping the windows clean only smears the window. to prevent from fogging while driving is important. A lil heat may help stop the outside from fogging as well.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Yep. its down to that. Our 2016 is better. guess there are ways to get moisture out, I had these bags that suck up moisture but won't do it on the spot like the ac on and some heat for colder weather.

I can confirm that moisture from breathing of just 1 person starts to make fog on bottom edges of windshield and leading edge of drivers window after 20 min of driving at 18 F... Very dry outside.

Goes away with defroster or slightly opening window.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Before I guess a broken part you know a heater core will go bad by less heat?

for the condenstation. I check the hose of the ac inside the cabin. I check the air pollin filter inside your cabin air filter under and behind the glove box?

Women give off more heat, after you bather you will give off more moisture an hour after also. Defroster on floor and window ac on. you can add climate/heat , see if that helps. Opening the window like said adds moisture in.