2014 S Radio Head Failure - Anybody Seen This?

CThies

Last night stereo was fine with 100% function. Started today, Toyota logo was slow to appear. Next it froze on that image. Restarted car twice with same result. Drive a few miles and I got a black and blue split screen with an blue Image of the head unit and a progress bar (like when you are downloading something) . Progress bar seems wto suggest something is loading. Gets 15% across screen and then it resets. Tried to disconnect battery but no luck. Turn car off and back on and progress bar makes it 80% across. No sound and no button control. If I hold down volume knob the unit does reset but no change. 2016-02-29 07.02.25.jpg

Thomas

Try disconnecting the car battery for a minute. When I swapped out my car battery, the head unit did a hard reset (where I saw the loading screen you are showing). The only problem I've ever had with it is where the bluetooth audio stopped working, and turning the car off and back on fixed that.

CThies

Try disconnecting the car battery for a minute. When I swapped out my car battery, the head unit did a hard reset (where I saw the loading screen you are showing). The only problem I've ever had with it is where the bluetooth audio stopped working, and turning the car off and back on fixed that.
I actually tried that. I removed the positive terminal for about 60 seconds. I reconnected it and the exact screen started again. Maybe I will try to disconnect the battery for longer. I am hoping somebody has seen that screen before. If the stereo is terminal I will buy a new one but would rather not.

JoshTRD

this only happens to me when i disconnect my battery and start my car again....but for me it doesn't freeze.... you can try taking out your headunit and disconnect it completely...its not hard at all, just a little time consuming.... only thing i can suggest

CThies

Grrrrrr. I'll try it when I find time.

Sunrise no one has seen that screen before.

this only happens to me when i disconnect my battery and start my car again....but for me it doesn't freeze.... you can try taking out your headunit and disconnect it completely...its not hard at all, just a little time consuming.... only thing i can suggest

The make an Android head unit that fits right in and hooks right up, $400 to $600 range. You tube, google, ebay, Amazon it. It's freaking incredible. Mine is a 10.2 screen. TV, DVD, DVR two cameras, 3 usb, 1gb hd, gps, and steering controls STILL work.

Several people on this forum have had this problem, a pretty alarming amount have talked about the same problem occurring and taking it to the dealership only results in an absolutely egregious quote for fixing it. Smells like a recall might need to take place soon... If you can't get the headset fixed then I'd recommend avoiding the dealership with this one. Get an aftermarket headset that has twice the capability at half the price!

From what I'm seeing, most people are beyond their warranty. It would be beneficial to know a Toyota tech to get an inside scoop of what the issue actually is as opposed to what they're feeding us and offer as a solution (replacing the unit).

My mom just bought a 2017 Rav4 and it has a very similar entune system as mine, I wonder if only certain models are effected or entire spectrum of entune head units. Is Toyota using Entune on Lexus vehicles or do they get top shelf head units from another manufacturer?

I did some research and it looks like there are aftermarket units available from Crutchfield, Kenwood and other manufacturers which are cheaper and better. Good audio place will mod the bracket to make it look factory. I hope there was a batch of bad units which are going out and not everyone's radio will crap out, but if they do I'm pretty sure that I won't be replacing it with the factory so it can crap out again.

Toyota has agreed to pay half for a new unit for me,even though it is out of warranty.484.00
For 484 you can still get a much nicer unit that would probably continue to work with the rear-view camera and other features of the car. Your radio has failed on a level that is entirely the fault of the manufacturer -- assuming you haven't modified it or caused any water damage. You might even be able to get a one-up on the dealership if you print out examples of the other users who have had the exact same issue at around the same mileage (and trust me, there are many many people who have). You gotta fight for your right! (to party, in the case of the Beastie Boys, but you get the idea)

I hear you guys ,but it took 5 phone calls and don't accept no for an answer. They won't admit there is a problem with these units,told me a recall would be issued only if it were a safety feature,but I'm not buying that.I'm sure they will eliminate all the persistent ones.like me, who accept the 484.00 and the rest maybe class action suit.

IMG_0880.JPG
I want it to be the original model. I think it takes away from resale value if its different.That's just me.
In this case, I agree.
I've tried to stay true to the brand when it comes to any mods. I've stuck with Toyota or TRD parts where applicable. Any other brands are on items that I can easily remove and return the car to stock.
I have kept everything that I have removed, exhaust, intake, speakers, etc.
The pic is an amp adjust knob that I installed. Before I did this, I bought extra plugs in case I ever remove it.
I have since relocated it to the center console next to the traction control button.

I want it to be the original model. I think it takes away from resale value if its different.That's just me.
Hm, okay, I can see your point. Gotta say, I honestly didn't think of that at all. The only question I'd have for you then is: for the $500 that you'll put down on having the factory part reinstalled, will that amount still hold its value down the line when it gets sold in x amount of years? It probably will tbh but still something to think about.

Just so everyone knows. This happened to me. Just driving down the road in my 2014 Corolla s. Goes into rebooting mode. There is NO fix! I researched the crap out of this, tales to Toyota at least 6 Times on the phone, and went to the dealer twice. Final result is they will only charge me $650 to replace my radio. They will then take my original one, reprogram it and sell it to the next sucker. I think it’s crazy that they obviously know it’s a very common issue. Which was confirmed by the dealer, and 3 stereo shops I called. They are all failing! Used to love Toyota. It’s was the last 3 new cars I bought. Never again. Chevys drive, look, and feel way nicer. Toyota no longer stands behind their cars.

I thought it was only failing on specific firmware update and not all of them. I saw some article somewhere that indicated which update levels are affected. If yours haven’t failed yet, try to force an update over the air. I’ve gotten three so far on my 2015 with Navi so hopefully it won’t crap out on me.

You know what's funny, this morning when I started the car and my phone hooked up via bluetooth I received another update. Basically it said you have a mandatory update download ok/cancel. I hit Ok and after few seconds next prompt was to install now or later and gave a warning that you won't be able to use entune while it's installing. I hit Install since my car was warming up and within 30 sec it was updated. I haven't checked the version but I will and will update it on here but since I purchased the car new this is the 4th mandatory update that was pushed to my entune system. IS anyone else getting updates or not so much? Is it possible perhaps that I have an entune app on my iphone and it's synced up with my phone? Wonder if that has any significance.

Just so we’re all on the same page here...
Toyota does not manufacture these radios. Mine (2014) is made by Fujitsu.
I believe Toyota has recognized this and has since switched to Panasonic. Not 100% sure.
Still doesn’t help those who are clearly stuck with the Fujitsu models.
I recently replaced my non entune OEM with a Kenwood and the iDatalink Maestro. Wish I had done this sooner. Believe it or not, you get more control over the car functions than with the OEM unit.
The $650 mentioned above is a good price for a stealership. I’ve heard upwards of $1200 from most.
$650 could buy a VERY nice aftermarket NAV unit with lots of bells and whistles!

Nice Chris, hood to know there are alternatives that don’t compromise functionality. Wonder if there’s a way to check if mines Fujitsu or Panasonic. Any idea how to tell where to check without disassembling anything?

Nice Chris, hood to know there are alternatives that don’t compromise functionality. Wonder if there’s a way to check if mines Fujitsu or Panasonic. Any idea how to tell where to check without disassembling anything?
It’s extremely easy to pull out the stock unit. But, I believe Toyota changed manufacturers for the 2017 model year.
Please, research what I am saying. I have only read this on forums and such.
I feel I need to provide a disclaimer every time I post something! Since being trolled. Lol