2014 s with acceleration issues

My 2014 s has 72000 miles on it. There is a borla exhaust and K&N cold air intake installed. Last week it started jerking when I accelerated from stop. 2 days later, it started stuttering really bad upon acceleration and almost sounded as if it was flooded. The RPM'S increased with peddle to floor and no take off. I took it to the dealer and after 4 hours and a 65 dollar charge, I was told something is wrong but they had no idea till I got a CEL. I change the oil every month and half since I drive about 5000 miles in that time frame. I cleaned the mass airflow sensor with CRC sensor cleaner, replaced the spark plugs, and added seafoam to the gas tank. All this didn't help. I now have a CEL. Auto store gave me a code, P2820 pressure control solenoid J performance/ stuck off. My last visit to the dealership I was told they don't rebuild tranny's just replace. Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix it. I really don't want to drop 3K on a replacement transmission.

It's an automatic. How do you check for leaks without dropping the pan? Other than that, there is no leaks under carriage. I was thinking about having a the transmission fluid changed to check the color and level. That will be another 200 bucks

I was talking about intake leaks. If air is being sucked in anywhere other than the air filter then you would get symptoms like you describe.

Go and check the clamps on the K&N Intake.

The Automatic should also have a dipstick in the engine bay. Not sure where because I have a Manual Transmission. I believe the fluid level should be checked with the engine running. It should be fairly similar to THIS

If it's a "S" then it's a CVT, not an automatic. Yes, it's easier to change the unit, as rebuilding it in a shop would have a high cost in time. Though if it's just a solenoid, it might be workable otherwise.

Like Jolly stated, it's a CVT. I wish it was as easy as pulling a dip stick to check the transmission fluid level. I also checked all hoses and connections for the cold air intake. Yesterday I installed the original exhaust and air filter box. Problem still exists. As we speak the car is being looked at by a transmission shop. I'll update if they find anything.

Finally got a check engine light that the dealership can read. P2820 is the code. Dealership said it was pressure control solenoid. They quoted me 6,300 for replacement transmission. I pulled a transmission from a 2014 corolla at the junkyard and replaced it myself. Had my brother service it for me. Total cost out of pocket came to about 1300.

Finally got a check engine light that the dealership can read. P2820 is the code. Dealership said it was pressure control solenoid. They quoted me 6,300 for replacement transmission. I pulled a transmission from a 2014 corolla at the junkyard and replaced it myself. Had my brother service it for me. Total cost out of pocket came to about 1300.
Geez, 6300 dollars? That's rough. Did they even offer to repair the transmission or is that not possible because it's a sealed unit?

They said toyota's policy is to replace the transmission and not rebuild it. It was actually really easy to pull and replace. Most of bolts can be accessed by removing the battery and the battery plate did the rest with the car on ramps. Easiest Trans job I ever did. Just needed my brother and his tools to do the service adding Trans fluid.

They said toyota's policy is to replace the transmission and not rebuild it. It was actually really easy to pull and replace. Most of bolts can be accessed by removing the battery and the battery plate did the rest with the car on ramps. Easiest Trans job I ever did. Just needed my brother and his tools to do the service adding Trans fluid.
how long did it take?

Took me about a week to find a pick and pull that had the transmission I needed. About 2 or 3 hours in the junk yard to remove with just Jack's. Also, I didn't know exactly what I was doing. So it was a learning experience for me. Made dropping the transmission in my car easier though. Roughly it took about 10 hours all together but I spaced it out over 3 days.

Took me about a week to find a pick and pull that had the transmission I needed. About 2 or 3 hours in the junk yard to remove with just Jack's. Also, I didn't know exactly what I was doing. So it was a learning experience for me. Made dropping the transmission in my car easier though. Roughly it took about 10 hours all together but I spaced it out over 3 days.
wow #Respect fam glad you fixed it

Geez, 6300 dollars? That's rough. Did they even offer to repair the transmission or is that not possible because it's a sealed unit?
$6,300 is way over the top... I wonder if they even look at what could have been done (fluid, solenoid replacement, calibration via the ECU if wrong) before. $1,300 is more in line. Some dealers don't get it.
It's not that it is "sealed". Actually, CVTs are quite simple but they require precision work thus time thus money. Changing it is easiest and you'll find more and more industrial rebuilt as time goes on.
Yet another reason I hate CVTs.
Personal preference is one thing, but a failure isn't a CVT thing, it's a human made device thing. Right on this forum you'll find people having trouble with the "old reliable" 4AT or manual.

Great story and glad you fixed it. Another example for why I use the term 'stealership.' With respect to those earning Toyota paychecks, this is a good example of not providing customer satisfaction.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
$6,300 is way over the top... I wonder if they even look at what could have been done (fluid, solenoid replacement, calibration via the ECU if wrong) before. $1,300 is more in line. Some dealers don't get it.
It's not that it is "sealed". Actually, CVTs are quite simple but they require precision work thus time thus money. Changing it is easiest and you'll find more and more industrial rebuilt as time goes on.

Personal preference is one thing, but a failure isn't a CVT thing, it's a human made device thing. Right on this forum you'll find people having trouble with the "old reliable" 4AT or manual.
Agreed, that CVT was probably just an unlucky one. If more people are having failing CVT's, then it's a problem with the CVT itself but this is the first case I've seen where the CVT transmission was the problem.

i installed a intake on my CVT Corolla and i had a problem when i smashed the peddle to the floor it would make a sound that sound like head clippers and would not accelerate, i fixed this problem by taking off my intake.... as cool as it sounds the CVT corolla is not made for intakes....after removing it and putting the stock intake on the problem was solved.... i also had the Borla exhaust installed, it makes you loose torque and performance...i don't care what anybody says, once i installed short ram intake and borla exhaust my performance fell....the people who see "gains" are just excited by the noise....withought a tune its all useless... for the CVT at least

Hi everyone
Hade the same problem with my
2014 corolla eco
Error code p2028
Thought it was the tranny
I changed the air intake filter and the problem was solved. The Chk engine light turned off and the car went back to normal.

i installed a intake on my CVT Corolla and i had a problem when i smashed the peddle to the floor it would make a sound that sound like head clippers and would not accelerate, i fixed this problem by taking off my intake.... as cool as it sounds the CVT corolla is not made for intakes....after removing it and putting the stock intake on the problem was solved.... i also had the Borla exhaust installed, it makes you loose torque and performance...i don't care what anybody says, once i installed short ram intake and borla exhaust my performance fell....the people who see "gains" are just excited by the noise....withought a tune its all useless... for the CVT at least
Yeah, intake and exhaust do make a lot of exciting noise!
I have had both SRI & CAI and I can tell you from experience that there IS a noticeable difference.
The CAI will give you more top end power but your take offs will be compromised. Vise verse with the SRI. But neither will make a noticeable difference without upgrading your MAFS.
As for exhaust, unless your doing a full system replacement, then there is no difference in performance. Cat back systems only change the sound.
So I agree and disagree.

In any case, if you really want to improve the way the car drives, GET A PEDAL COMMANDER!!
I don’t know how I ever got around without one!

Help me understand this, so if my VIN is 5YFBURHEXFP2_ _ _ _ _ does that mean my car is affected? In your document from MISS plant TMMMS 2ZR-FE CVT-Gated after # I see HP7. Mine's FP so I wonder if FP models aren't affected. Please provide input if you're knowledgeable in this VIN number jazz. Thx. :)
The letters are some production code. Only the last 6 digits are relevant. It also mention "some", not "all" previous car might be affected.
Furthermore, assuming this is a TSB (we have only partial view of the document), it is not necessarily related to wide spread problems and even less to recall/service campaign.
More like instructions to the mechanic ("If you encounter a car with this condition, this might be the solution). I've even seen TSB from Toyota about tire rotation and oil change... ;)

Agreed, that CVT was probably just an unlucky one. If more people are having failing CVT's, then it's a problem with the CVT itself but this is the first case I've seen where the CVT transmission was the problem.
What are you talking about? This forum is full of cvt complaints.

I had the same issue. The dealership told me there was a recall which was suspended a week later Toyota didn't have a solution on how to fix the car. After many calls to Toyota I traded it in at a Toyota dealership, no other dealer wanted to pay more than $2,000.00. That's very scandalous! I contacted the Federal Trade Commission.