2015 Corolla L Automatic - No Acceleration

Corolla has 600 miles on it.
At about 250 miles the check engine light came on as did the track control light. The track control light was unresponsive to the button on the center console, pushing it both lights stayed on.
Called my dealership and the told me to make sure the gas cap was tight. And it was. Anyway after about 10 starts the lights went off.
Forward to today: My daughter is driving it and she tells me that she is going about 25mph and goes to speed up to around 35mph, the RPMs go up but the car does not accelerate, she lets off the throttle and then presses it again, the same thing, RPMs up but no acceleration. Finally when the Corolla's going about 15mph the 4th time she tries to accelerate the car responds. No warning light came on until about 45 minutes later after being parked and started again, The Check Engine Light and the Tractions Control Light. I started the car about 10-15 times and the lights went off.
I will get it to the dealer tomorrow.
In the mean time any of you guys have any ideas?
TIA

Yeah, definitely sounds like transmission is slipping - classic symptom being RPMs increasing but not speed. Surprising since I thought the conventional automatic in the L is pretty bulletproof. Although I suppose it could be an electrical or programming issue.

Yeah Hey Thanks Guys!
Went to AutoZone 1st thing this morning and got a free scan, always like a backup. And it threw a Couple of Transmission codes (I don't have the print out in front of me).
It's headed to the dealer right now.
HNY!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
to understand the traction control, no bells, or flashing of the traction correct? How about your Shift lights did they flash the D for Drive?

Possibly your traction gone defective, before your transmission gave way. anything today can be possible.

So I send my kid out to the dealer. She comes back from the dealer and tells me that there is nothing wrong with the car. That the Service manager told her that they ran a scan and it checked out ok and "she is just not used to a CVT transmission". I called the dealership Service manager who told me he was standing right next to 4 Toyota Master Mechanics and that they had looked at the car and all agreed there is nothing wrong with my daughter's "Corolla L" and that she just needs to get used to the "CVT" transmission!

I need a beer and a smoke...

Also the dealership Cleared the codes I earlier had gotten at AutoZone, because I went back to AutoZone After my daughter got back from the dealer and ran another scan, same sales person same scan tool. Yeah and I do know that maybe somehow magically the codes just went away but also I've heard that it is against the law for a 2nd party to clear codes.
I'm going to keep my cool though.

So I send my kid out to the dealer. She comes back from the dealer and tells me that there is nothing wrong with the car. That the Service manager told her that they ran a scan and it checked out ok and "she is just not used to a CVT transmission". I called the dealership Service manager who told me he was standing right next to 4 Toyota Master Mechanics and that they had looked at the car and all agreed there is nothing wrong with my daughter's "Corolla L" and that she just needs to get used to the "CVT" transmission!

I need a beer and a smoke...
Are you in US or in another country? In US, the CVT isn't available on the L, so I thought you were talking the conventional 4 speed auto. If it threw codes and they just cleared them and said nothings wrong, I'd be going back there with some steel toed boots ready to firmly plant in someone's behind. So it is CVT, correct? It's gotta be slipping, sounds ominous.

Yeah, and if they have a ScanGauge they can easily clear the codes.

Last edited:
I'm in Texas

Are you in US or in another country? In US, the CVT isn't available on the L, so I thought you were talking the conventional 4 speed auto. If it threw codes and they just cleared them and said nothings wrong, I'd be going back there with some steel toed boots ready to firmly plant in someone's behind. So it is CVT, correct? It's gotta be slipping, sounds ominous.

Yeah, and if they have a ScanGauge they can easily clear the codes.
Yeah it's a slush box but everybody and their mother at the dealership is telling me it's a CVT.
I know how a continuously variable transmission works and I have driven a couple of them. Heck you can just Look at the shifter console and tell my *L* is a 4 speed automatic.
Maybe they just started celebrating New Years a little too early at the Service Center.
Funny thing is I've owned 6 Toyotas and I got along good with this dealership. Heck I've known the Service Manager for around 15 years and yes today even he was swearing up and down it's a CVT.
Yeah, and Clearing codes to *fix* a problem is a down right dirty thing to do.
Hopefully this Friday when I go out there we can see eye to eye.

Yeah ok, It was all bows and praise to me when I went out to the dealership yesterday.
Dealership Supervisor and Head Mechanic told me they would go over the whole drive train with a fine tooth comb.
Gave me a fancy loaner, a cup of coffee and some doughnuts.
Proof, men are less likely to get jacked around when it comes to cars than women (especially teenage girls). And my kid ain't that big of an airhead or else I wouldn't of sent her out the in the first place.
We'll see what happens.

Document, document, document.... Does it have a dipstick? If its an L then its an automatic whoever checked your car is an idiot that doesnt want to fix it. I just looked at the brochure and cvt is not available on the L.

Ok, Got the Corolla back from the official Toyota Service Center after 5 days.
They said they went over it with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find anything wrong with it. The car's going to Houston (1000 miles) here in about a week for 4 months. I hope the gremlins don't come back!

You REALLY need a new dealer or "official Toyota Service Center". Where you are going now seems to lack even the most basic level of competence.

Yeah they were waiting for me when I took it back in the second time. They apologized, after running the VIN before I got there that Clearly states 4 speed auto.
The car is running fine. Really I should take it to another dealer and see what they say.

Yeah they were waiting for me when I took it back in the second time. They apologized, after running the VIN before I got there that Clearly states 4 speed auto.
The car is running fine. Really I should take it to another dealer and see what they say.
Good idea. I had a 2000 chevy malibu in which the rpms moved but not the speed, it was a slipped tranny! Take it to a different dealer for a second opinion.

Problem with automatic? Trade for manual lol. Just messing. I would keep a close eye on it and next time it happens try to take a video if conditions permit or have a passenger take a video (best option).

Thanks!

Problem with automatic? Trade for manual lol. Just messing. I would keep a close eye on it and next time it happens try to take a video if conditions permit or have a passenger take a video (best option).
Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on it. So far no dash lights or slippage. Taking a vid is a great idea.
I've already been studying online the past symptoms, *speed sensor*, *transmission sensor*, *screwed up transmission* are something's that I am Very aware of.

Ok Hopefully this is my last post on this thread. I hope the gremlins went away (that would be a first). Put my kid in her brand new car off to Houston (900 miles) and she made it ok, no dash warning lights, no xmission slippage. I'll keep my eyes crossed.

Side note: I did have the tires checked at the tire shop before she left and they didn't put one of the valve stem caps back on. Picky? Yeah but Come On! Just goes to show, if you can do the job yourself do it, I have a compressor.